PDA

View Full Version : overcoming social anxiety

okami1995
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I tried posting this in the social anxiety section, but I got no replies, so I'm re-posting it here. Basically, I've been a victim of bullying my entire life. I finished school a year ago, and now I'm doing some catchup maths work to get into college. However, due to my years of being bullied, I get anxious when around people my own age, give or take a few years. I get nervous and want to get away from them. I get this even when I'm around a parent or something. It's made me feel as if I think I'm ashamed to be seen with my parents, which I'm absolutely not, I have no reason to be ashamed to be seen with them, It's just the social anxiety. This makes me feel bad about myself, because as I said, I have absolutely no reason to be ashamed to be seen with them. I just want to be able to go near people my own age who aren't my friends without feeling insecure and worried. I don't care what they think of me, and I don't care if they think being out with my parents is "lame". Screw what they think, it doesn't effect me. Nonetheless, being near people my own age makes me nervous, and frankly I'm tired of it. How can I get over this social phobia and go out again without feeling anxious every time I see teenagers.

anxiousmess
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
hiya :)
i know exactly where you are coming from as i can't be around people without getting too nervous i end up leaving.
are you seeing anybody about this?
are you on any meds?
if not, then maybe you should see about it :)

could it not be that you aren't ashamed of your parents - but you feel as though they don't protect you?
i am sorry that you have been bullied during your school years! have you spoken to your parents about how much of a hard time you had?

here is something that you could maybe focus on next time you are faced with what worries you:

In order to reduce self-focus, pay attention to what is happening around you, rather than monitoring yourself or focusing on symptoms of anxiety in your body:

Look at other people and the surroundings.

Really listen to what is being said (not to your own negative thoughts).

Don't take all the responsibility for keeping conversations going—silence is okay, other people will contribute.