PDA

View Full Version : Of course I HAD to google...

panicked24_7
03-07-2012, 07:04 AM
So I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with sinusitis and an inner ear infection. The doctor prescribed a "z pak" (Azithromycin). For those that don't know, it's a 5 day antibiotic treatment. For the most part, antibiotics are harmless as far as side effects go. But the crazy, anxiety-ridden part of me just had to Google the side effects. I see that a lot of people had terrible stomach pains, nausea, vomiting...so of course this sent me into a panic. I was fine yesterday after taking my first dosage...had a little bout of nausea, but that could be due to the sinusitis as well. Woke up this morning feeling worse than when I did before I started taking the antibiotics (nose was congested, throat hurts, feeling like the onset of a cold). My mom said the first dose of antibiotics is supposed to make you feel worse, as it's bringing everything to the surface. Just wanted to know if there was anyone else who has gone through something similar? Please tell me I'm just being paranoid!

Thanks

Sunny Days
03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Ha! You sound like me. Along with the anxiety I also have allergies and acid reflux...I call it the triple A's lol. I get sinus infections too and they always prescribe the Z-pack for me. I am really anti-meds (rarely take an advil lol), but the Z-pack does really seem to help with the sinus infections and doesn't give me any of the nasty side effects (trust me I feel everything in my body and over-observe). I think you will be just fine taking the Z-pack! Now Cipro....UGH worst medicine ever! That gave me a panic attack and high anxiety!

panicked24_7
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks! I definitely over-observe with my body...to the point where I might actually create symptoms. As soon as I read about the stomach pains, nausea, etc., I started to feel sick. Power of suggestion, I'm assuming. However, waking up feeling worse isn't all in my head...I know that. As someone who has taken the z pak for sinus infections, is that normal for you to feel worse after the first dose?

Meche
03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Me too! When I had my first anxiety attack I diagnosed MS, Parkisons and beginnings of a brain tumour! I actually had all 3... at the same time. I received some wise words from somebody on here and I don't self diagnose now. I think being paranoid is another symptom of anxiety so try not to worry about it too much - although I know it's easier said than done. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Sunny Days
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
panicked the first dose is the 2 pills, and I always made sure I took it with a larger meal (usually dinner) and drank water with it. I think at times the first dose may have made me feel a little off but that subsided as I kept on taking the next 4 pills. It never made me sick though, maybe a slight stomach ache but no vomiting or anything like that.

I can read about something and create the symptoms too. It's amazing how the mind works!

panicked24_7
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
panicked the first dose is the 2 pills, and I always made sure I took it with a larger meal (usually dinner) and drank water with it. I think at times the first dose may have made me feel a little off but that subsided as I kept on taking the next 4 pills. It never made me sick though, maybe a slight stomach ache but no vomiting or anything like that.

I can read about something and create the symptoms too. It's amazing how the mind works!
What I've noticed in these two days of taking the antibiotic is that a couple of hours afterwards, my stomach makes weird gurgling noises. I'm hoping that's the only thing I experience! Just noticed you're in New York. Me too! Where abouts in NY are you? I'm on Long Island :)

Sunny Days
03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Yea I bet you'll be fine!! I got the gurgle noises too lol.
I'm in Central NY. :)

panicked24_7
03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Yea I bet you'll be fine!! I got the gurgle noises too lol.
I'm in Central NY. :)
Not too sure where Central NY is LOL. Anything above Westchester is like a different state to me hahaha.

jessed03
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM

They psychology study, at a University here in England. They paid these 50 healthy students, £50 to take 3 pills, one each day, over the weekend, and report back on Monday. They told them the pills were for mild pain relief, but could make you feel a little sick. 85% of students reported nausea when they went back Monday. The pill was nothing more than a sugar pill.

These stats are all checkable online. In many drug studies, 30% of patients report to nausea when taking the Placebo. 20% report headache and an upset stomach.
There is no medicinal or chemical property to the pill at all. It is less potent than a soft mint.

It shows the incredible power of the mind, when it believes in something.

But that story has no purpose other than it just being a little funny. Anti-biotics do make me pretty unwell feeling, and quite sick. Usually after 2 doses. Similarly to Sunny, a little bit poorly, but nothing major. Not worse than the illness itself. :)