PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

CarJim75
03-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a 36 old male who until recently, did not know anything about anxiety or its effects.

This past Sunday night, I awoke and was unable to sleep. As I sat for hours, a strong sensation of anxiety struck me. It made me feel restless and numbed my left hand. The overwhelming feeling was so much that I rushed to the emergency room fearing a heart attack.

The exam, xray, ECG and lab all came back negative and the diagnosis was GAD. The doctor recommended I rest for a couple of days and see my regular doctor. On Monday, I visited my PCP and he prescribed Xanax. Earlier today, I experienced another anxiety attack. It wasn't too bad but I felt my left hand numb then experiencing an anxiety attack. Is this common?

BekkaD
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I also experience numbness in my left hand when I am having an anxiety attack. This is a common symptom of anxiety. I first found out about my problem with Gad in a similar way.

CarJim75
03-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I feel better knowing this forum exists, it's doesn't make me feel so alone. :)

BekkaD
03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I feel the same way. When my anxiety first started, I had no clue that someone else could be feeling the way i felt. I started doing research and found out fast that I wasn't alone. It completely changed the way I look at my problem.

Meche
03-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi CarJim75; mine started in exactly the same way 3 weeks ago. Couldn't sleep (every time I tried I would jerk awake) then sudden anxiety kicked in. Symptoms were shaking, numbness in arms/feet, dizziness and a constant dread that something real bad was about to happen. It didn't feel like it was happening to me. I ended up in A&E that night because having never experienced an attack before I honestly thought I was dying! Told I had had a panic attack and sent home. Didn't sleep much over the next few days for fear of it happening again. I am sleeping better and haven't had another bad attack but it has left me feeling very nervous. I still get light headed rushes to my head and tingling in my arm and have lost my confidence but I am pulling myself back together slowly. xx

CarJim75
03-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey Meche, I'm glad to hear your getting better. I've been sleeping more myself and the attacks have decreased. I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with an anxiety but I've been able to control them.

Meche
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Same here. I will wake up and it hits me but I roll over and go straight back to sleep. I've got control of mine but they are still a 'nuisance' and have left me feeling very on edge. I try to carry on as normal but the thought of another attack is always at the back of my mind. Glad you're feeling better too. xx

miss_mac666
03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I feel better knowing this forum exists, it's doesn't make me feel so alone. :)

on here you are never alone! :-D

CarJim75
03-09-2012, 05:51 PM
on here you are never alone! :-D

Feels good knowing there's others who can relate. I'm still learning how to deal with my anxiety and I knows it's a process.

I've been away from work for a week now and scheduled to return Monday. Looking forward to it and some normalcy back in my life. :)

Meche
03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
It does help being in your normal routine. When mine flared up I took 3 days off work but felt worse for it. I sat at home thinking way too much and getting myself worked up over nothing and everything. It's definitely a process. I'm not feeling great today (so up and down) and trying not to let it drag me down. It's strange that after having such a good few days, I feel anxious again for no particular reason. Not panicking.... but the fear is there. Wishing you loads of luck for Monday. xx

CarJim75
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Meche...I'm the same way, everything is fine one minute and then bam, anxiety. Your right, not panicking but the fear is there. It happened to me today, went out for breakfast with the family and then out of nowhere, my anxiety (fear) kicked in. Hang in there, we'll get through this!

anxietykidd
03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I think i found a way to stop my panic attacks ... I lay down on my stomach like Im going to sleep.... And i relax.... That's it..... It worked....

anxietykidd
03-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Closed my eyes and just let it go.... Kinda hard.... But it wasn't as bad as sitting down with my eyes open.... It really wasn't that bad...

Meche
03-11-2012, 04:52 AM
I can't sit when I have mine. I literally pace the room, hands on my hips taking deep breathes. Not sure how I'm feeling today. Had a restless night but woke up without the headache - although I can still feel it there (if that makes sense). It's like I'm sat here waiting for it to arrive because I've got so used to it. Feel a bit on edge if I'm honest. I'm SO fed-up with it. My mind is constantly consumed with how and why I feel the way I feel. I think I might have some mild depression going as well so I'm dealing with 2 separate issues. I need to find a way to shut myself of from it. Today I've decided to do nothing. I was out Friday night, had a busy day yesterday and was out again last night. I find it very hard to sit still but I've surrounded myself with books, mags, my laptop and I have some catch-up TV to watch so we'll see how it goes. xx

anxietykidd
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Meche i have an Mri tommorw morning because of my head pressure Nero said just to be safe and to put my mind at rest he's going to approve the mri so that's a good thing hopefully there's nothing wrong

Meche
03-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Good luck with the MRI and let me know how you get on. I haven't had my headache for a couple of days now which is great but I have a massage tonight for neck/shoulder tension so hoping that will fix the problem. It's something else for me now. I feel constantly nervous which makes me feel sick and I hate it. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with you but for peace of mind it will be good for you. xx

anxietykidd
03-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks Meche i hope so too... But ill let you know asap lol its at 600 am so i gotta wake up real early but yeah my headache comes and goes... But idk 2 months is a long period for a headache

Meche
03-14-2012, 02:29 AM
2 months is a long time but bear in mind that if it was something serious, something else would have happened to you by now. The fact that you can still function suggests it's all down to stress/anxiety. God, I wish I could take my own advice :rolleyes:. Will be thinking of you and be around later to find out how you got on. Big hugs xx