PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

V for Victor
12-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm 18, and have had problems with anxiety and depression since I was about 13.

My anxiety went in a strange cycle. It all started when a beloved dog of mine was runover, and I had the horrible experience of seeing her suffocate as fluid filled her lungs. (Probably the root of my greatest fear of all being my own demise by suffocation.)

After that, I became terrified of everything from thunderstorms (very weird, seeing as I had always loved severe weather before) to getting sick, for instance with cancer.

Eventually, my anxiety went away and I became like my old self again.

But then, in a stroke of dark irony at the beggining of 2006, I once again experienced a loved pet being accidently being runover, in an even more graphic manner.

A couple months after this, the very familiar anxiety hit again, this time with the advent of a swollen tonsil that I had had for a couple weeks. I began to worry that it was cancer, or some other terrible disease.

I made an appointment with my doctor, and she prescribed an antibiotic. I also told her about my depression and anxiety, and she said it sounded like I had OCD or something. She prescribed an anti-depressant that combats both depression and anxiety.

Though I worried about taking my pills for about three weeks and did tons of research on the net about them, I finally did start taking them.

I'm glad I did! A few weeks later, I was free of anxiety and depression! I no longer worried about germs, disease, or death.

Well, now, I AM having minor problems with anxiety and depression again, but now I can fight it off.

I'm bound and determined to overcome these problems!

I don't want to drag this on any further, so I'll go post about my specific problems on the other part of the forum.

But thankyou for reading, and thanks for this community! I'll probably be around here a lot! :)

jitters
01-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes the tablets help but over time, you need to focus on your thought processes and feelings. Maybe learn some coping techniques such as CBT. Anyway if you need us we are here.

Duncan