PDA

View Full Version : exercise induced anxiety?

plumb
03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
hi. i try to keep myself fairly active through long walks , cross trainer machine in the house and various other circuit exercises and weights. but 2 days ago i decided to go out running, i did high intensity interval training e.g jogging then sprinting then rest then repeat for several reps and last night i went out a run.but since i finished my run , last night and today apart from my sore legs/thighs i have been feeling kind of on edge, not relaxed , strange pains in wrist/ arm and my heart rate has rarely been at its normal resting rate when i have checked, what i am wondering is does anybody know if this is down to the new exercises because you always hear exercise combats anxiety?? thanks

chrisz
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Exercising can cause the release of Lactic Acid in the blood. Lactic Acid can cause anxiety issues. It does to me, but for some reason only certain times.

alankay
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Aerobic exercise is good or anxiety. I've been a runner for years and it has always helped me calm down and drain energy. Alankay

jessed03
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Plumb

When attempting new exercises, it can work new muscles, which weren't as worked as others. This new movement can create a much increased flow of lactic acid. Lactic acid has a strong relationship with adrenaline and cortisol. Basically the body can become fearful of this new level of chemical, and like any new sensation, can mistake it as a cause for alarm, eliciting a fearful response.

Also, sometimes it can be down to lowered blood sugar, due to increased effort. If you hadn't eaten well before or after, it could play a factor.

These are a couple of ways anxiety can be influenced by exercise. There are of course others. The best advice, is to stay where it's comfortable, and to build up to new levels slowly. For some, maybe not in your case, any significant lactic acid build up, and kind of ache, cramp or tightness, usually mean's the body has released a little too much, which for non-anxiety sufferers is a healthy process. For anxiety folk though, any small change of reaction or balance, can cause symptoms very similar to what you feel.