PDA

View Full Version : Avoidant behaviour - new here

elusivesoul
03-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I felt so low today that I decided to find a support forum, so here I am.
I'm 33 and I've suffered from chronic depression and anxiety on and off since childhood. My condition is generally managed well with medication (Sertraline).
I have also self medicated with codeine for a few years. And what makes it all even more complicated is that I now show symptoms of hypothyroidism, which make me incredibly fatigued and low amongst other things. (I'm currently in the process of getting my thyroid function tested).
I'm doing a Masters and I have had quite a few absences from university, because I can't face going in. I feel like a failure. I feel guilty, I feel like I'm lazy. I hate my avoidant behaviour, which makes me feel worse. I have some friends at uni, but I often feel left out, even when I'm not. I just don't have the energy to make polite small talk. I feel so ashamed and weak to struggle with attendance when so many people have far more serious problems, and my education is such an amazing opportunity.
I live in London, England with my husband and 2 children.

03-01-2012, 03:16 AM
I am also going to school and have been having issues with not going due to depression/severe anxiety. Does your school have a counselor or nurse? You can call them and explain them your situation and they can talk to your instructors to make sure you have a locked in position in your classes. I did this yesterday, and to my relief everyone was very understanding. Also does your school have a retention officer? They can help you not get overwhelmed if you are behind on things and help you get extensions for homework.

alankay
03-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Have you and your doc considered raising the dose of zoloft? If at 50mg go to 100mg as you sound a bit depressed. Alankay