PDA

View Full Version : hi i am new here

dmcm
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
hi im from ireland and i am afraid to go out in public during busy hours and going out of my area at night and meeting new people
im have trouble sleeping at night time. i have tried drinking herbal tea, reading and taking otc sleeping pills
i am on 10mgs of lexapro a day
i some times stay at home due to my anxiety and need advice on dealing with it.

alankay
02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi. I've been to the Emerald Isle and love it!!
Anyway like me it sounds like you have social anxiety and maybe some high anxiety/panic. I'd stay with the lexapro(I take 15mg/day). Over time you may need to up the dose but your doc will decide that. It will take some time but it should lower your anxiety. It may also help with the social anxiety. It did for me. How long have you been taking it?
If you're drinking chamomile teas, stay with it. It should help.
For now limit caffeine an alcohol and get some aerobic exercise. Also practice deep breathing and progressive relaxation.
Also I hope you are meeting with a counselor to discuss what might be bothering you below the surface but not all anxiety suffers have things that can be found that is bothering them.
Ask your doc about oxazepam(serax, I think they have it in Ireland ). It's a benzo with a lower abuse potential and will help with sleep and anxiety. You can also try melatonin, valerian root or passionflower to decrease anxiety.
Yep I've been to Cork, Kinsale, Dingle, Killarney, Kerry, Shannon, Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Kilkenney, Rock of Cashel, etc, etc and think Ireland is very beautiful indeed. PM me any time and hang in there with lexapro.
Try to keep getting out and about a bit every day. It's good for you. Alankay

alankay
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I forgot to mention lyrica(pregabalin) for anxiety. No abuse potential but it takes a week or so to work(quicker for some). Your doc might encourage you to wait for the lexapro to kick in but if you're having that much trouble, ask about both for short term relief until the lexapro starts working. Time for Guinness over here.:) Alankay.

alankay
02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Another med to ask about is atarax(sedating anti histamine). No abuse potential and helpful for anxiety for sure. Just another thought for you. Alankay