PDA

View Full Version : The obvious

12-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Has anyone had any success in reduceing anxiety, panic, agoraphobia by following the obvious.i.e dont drink or smoke,avoid caffine,drink water,eat healthy food and exercise.
I dont seem to be able to follow this sort of regime because deep down I think it wont make any differance.I felt perfectly ok in the past without having to do this so why would it make a differance now. In addition having to plan all this is a constant reminder of the anxiety and it seems to make me focus on it more.
My anxiety is bad at the moment and has been fer about 18 months. I have suffered for 10 years on and off. I am unable to work at the moment. I have tried all the meds the doctor can offer and am waiting for cbt therapy.
If anyone has had any success it may give me some incentive to try harder.

Thanks

Tony.

johnnynumber5
12-21-2006, 05:22 PM
well I have never quit outright any of them.. but can say nicoteen, and caffeine attribute to the anxiety levels... now alcohol only hurts the next day, on a hung over day I am panic like for about two solid days.. making me feel sick.. or hung over for a long time.

amarkb
12-22-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm afraiid that the only way I've found is by cutting out the things you said, getting exercise, plenty of sleep and plenty of support.

Even then there are bad days.

It's a struggle and it doesn't come easy. There are meds that can help if you'd rather do that but even they aren't always immediate (and they didn't work for me anyway).

Reading books about anxiety really helps. Once you understand it and the way it works on your body you start to realise that things like exercise, breathing techniques and living a healthy lifestyle are the best answers.

I wish there was an easy solution but if there is I don't know about it.

Music_lover
01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I thought this at first too. Like if I got more sleep or if I ate healthy and got aon diet and everything. But it didn't help. It really just happens when ever and it doesn't really care about what you did I uess when it comes to this type of thing. Sorry if this is old, I'm new and yeah. :ack:

-Holly

8-BitAlice
12-29-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't quite feel right admitting this, but drinking is the only way I can leave the house without my sister (literally) holding my hand, she leads me around like I'm catatonic. Very embarrassing.
I probably shouldn't, I don't like drinking, I can't hold it very well, but sometimes its nice to be able to go to a shop on my own.
And umm...caffeine makes it worse?, may have to cut down on my thirty brews a day then. :(
Sorry for not having anything useful to contribute..

acetone
12-29-2013, 07:39 AM
You are replying to an 8 year old thread?

Jamman
12-29-2013, 07:44 AM
This is the first time I've ever been on a anxiety forum , but it's really opened my eyes to how common it can be . Being hungover or driving seem to be where my anxiety is at it's worse for me . I've been drink free for 2 lots of 6 month periods before and both times my anxiety was non existent , but maybe that was due to other factors at the time . But I did smoke and drink coffee too . I'm going drinking free the start of January and if it works this time I'll definitely stop drinking all together .

Jamman
12-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Haha just noticed !!

Dahila
12-29-2013, 08:13 AM
No problem with old threads, we can make it like new hehehe

jessed03
12-29-2013, 08:30 AM
I love a good bumped thread. I think im gonna start bringing to life a few old ones too :D

8-BitAlice
12-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Sorry, my fault. Didn't even look.
Knew I'd do something stupid.

jessed03
12-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Sorry, my fault. Didn't even look.
Knew I'd do something stupid.

Don't sweat it, no worries. I like reading old threads actually :)

Dahila
12-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Maybe I should do it too. We have a thousand threads about heart palpitation, or pain in arm and ....pain in arm, neck or whatever. Instead of letting people make new thread lets bring the old ones and maybe we will have some good info hm. What do you think Jessed?

jessed03
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Why not Dahila :) there are many good threads in the archive that got buried by new posts

Dahila
12-29-2013, 02:32 PM
What are we waiting for? :))

BlessedMom
12-29-2013, 03:36 PM
I have had success with not drinking and smoking. Alcohol causes HUGE panic attacks for me the following day.......so not worth it. But I was drawn to it because its nice to "forget to worry" for awhile. But the 8 years that are smoke and alcohol free are much more even keel that previously. And exercise is a huge help!!