PDA

View Full Version : The Quick Guide to Stopping Panic Attacks

PanicCured
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I used to have extreme anxiety and panic. I do not get panic attacks anymore. I have written extensively about how I overcame this problem, but this is a quick guide of what to do when anxiety creeps up or the panic has already occurred. This may not work for everyone, but I truly believe it will work for most people.

If you are having a panic attack or you feel one coming on follow this quick guide:

1) DO NOTHING! Take a seat and stop doing everything. Droop like all your muscles just went limp. Do not attempt to do anything, except maybe drink water.

2) DO NOT OVER-BREATHE! Forget deep abdominal breathing. Breathe very slight. Let the air go into your belly if you need to, but keep it light. Keep your breath as you would breathe normally at rest doing nothing if you were not paying attention to it. Keep your breathing like you are at rest, as if your body was breathing relaxed and easy normally if you were not noticing it. Don't hyperventilate! Keep your breath at a nice calm natural state if you were calm and resting and not focusing on your breath. You do not want to breathe out too much CO2. Keep it light and easy.

3) Allow the anxiety or panic to do it's thing. Do not be scared of the anxiety. You are feeling fear. Do not be scared of fear which will add fear to the fear. Just sit back and relax and watch it like a movie. Don't add any fear, just let the current fear pass quickly.

4) Say to yourself, "This is my body's fight or flight response. Adrenaline is flowing through my body, causing horrible panic feelings. It will subside within minutes, and when it does, I will begin to feel better. I just need to allow it to metabolize, and not add anymore adrenaline and other chemicals to the mix."

5) If you are having a panic attack, do not seek a safe person or safe place. The seeking will make you feel worse. All you have to do is sit and do nothing and allow the chemicals to pass through you and metabolize. It can go away in a matter of minutes if you just sit and relax, and watch it flow by you. The symptoms are caused by passing chemicals but they will only pass if you let them. Ride it out. Let it pass. It only takes a few minutes.
You are not going crazy! Let the thoughts pass too.

After the anxiety or panic is over, either voice record or write down how horrible you felt, and how you made it through another one, and now you feel better, and next time you will make it through again. Read or listen to it when you need to.

Just imagine if you followed these steps every time. Eventually it would have less and less power and less and less effect on you. Soon, you would see the whole panic thing as a joke. Yeah, you may get anxious sometimes, we are all only human, but it just won't go into full blown panic mode because you aren't going to run around in circles searching for the exit door. You'll sit and let it pass then back to you life.

Good luck and laugh! It's a joke. It's a bluff. Don't take it all so seriously. Learn to control your body rather than have it control you. Anxiety talks a big game but it never delivers. A panic attack isn't coming close to death. You didn't survive some huge tragedy. It wasn't a near death experience. It was just bullshit all the way through, experiencing symptoms caused by chemicals released and an over active nervous system. Don't feel ashamed or feel guilty. It means nothing! Give it the middle finger and laugh your head off!

Now get back to your life and forget it ever happened...

vonnhelsing
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah that's what i've been starting to do. whenever i start getting a panic attack i just stop what i'm doing and analyze what's going on inside. Sometimes it lasts 10 minutes sometimes it lasts up to 30 minutes but freaking out in panic makes me feel worse so i try my best just to sit calmly and wait for it to finish. Afterwards i just laugh about it and say bring on the next one cause i can handle it now :)

AshleighSuzanne
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
This is great advice :). it is very hard to try relax when you feel faint and shaky and like you can't breath and your ears start to ring when standing up :(. I had an attack the other day and I just left the shop and sat outside it didn't really pass and u got a taxi home :( I went out the next day and I made it instead of having to go home, it was hard because I kept thinking as I was walking to the shop, what if what happened yesterday starts again and I have to leave the shop feeling faint and it just goes over and over in my head till it actually does flare up and come onim having trouble trying to forget it might happen but it did happen but not to the point as the day before I did feel a little hot and felt like I had to do something to take my mind off it like playing with my hads or biting my nails messing with my hair . I again went out today and i wasn't to bad either could feel me getting panic but I just rushed round the shop left and went home. Thought the more I get out the better I'll be able to try and cope with it and get through it the quicker I'll be able to get over this stage in my life. I just need help at how to start getting o er it and trying not to think about it when I go out. Thank you for this post it's a great help sorry about the essay.

bryan kellogg
02-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi I read your message have you overcome your anxiety and if so can you tell me how I need all the help I can get when are red you sound like a nice person me I don't believe in doctors very much I do not want their pills I have a therapist they are too young kid therapist they are the only ones I can afford so if you can please help me give me advice

PanicCured
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Slow down, don't worry. It's ok. I wrote to the best of my knowledge my path to recovery in my techniques thread above. Try and follow this quick guide and see if it helps. Pharmaceuticals are ok if you need them, just don't take them long enough to cause dependency. But pills or no pills, you will have to allow your body and mind to heal and learn ways to stay calm.

Sunny Days
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Wonderful post!! That is pretty much the same thing I've learned to do to stop panic attacks also. I still get the anxiety but nothing like the PAs. Thanks for sharing, it is right on!

PanicCured
02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Worth a sticky don't you think?

Nekochan
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Nothing else then just simply go to the bathroom and throw up helps for me, my tummy gets way to tense and won't be able to relax until I throw up, either it comes by itself but if it doesn't I have to force it, not fun, but it helps...

Sunny Days
02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes worth a sticky for sure. PanicCured I sent you a message, not sure if you got it? Would you mind if I wrote some of your techniques on my website? I really like them, and I use them myself but I never put them into words like you have. Just let me know!

pammy
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I posted some techniques "quick fixes" that I employ for helping with anxiety/panic attacks is other threads...but in case nobody here read them, the 2 techniques are meant to slow down a fast/quickening heartrate and you should check with your doc about doing these:

Massaging the vagus nerve in the neck and or taking a slow deep breath, holding it then bearing down as if you're taking a poop. Once stopped, the rapid heartrate may return but the quick fix may be enough to calm down the heart and allow for clearer thinking so that you may get yourself in a safe place, have a bite to eat and/or check your blood sugar, check your blood pressure if you have issues there, etc.

Wishing everyone here the best!!

MainerMikeBrown
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
You're more likely to get a panic attack if you're worried that you're going to suffer a panic attack soon.

Jme
03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
How do u just ride out a panic attack or anxiety? I've heard of that a lot and I try not to but I can't its really hard not to fight it. Is there something u think of or something else u do so u won't fight it?

questionAday
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
You're more likely to get a panic attack if you're worried that you're going to suffer a panic attack soon.

Yeah it's a terrible cycle.,

PanicCured
04-01-2012, 03:46 PM
How do u just ride out a panic attack or anxiety? I've heard of that a lot and I try not to but I can't its really hard not to fight it. Is there something u think of or something else u do so u won't fight it?

It is incredibly difficult but not impossible. My method is to let go of all tension and just slow down the breathing and even reduce the amount of air coming in slightly, by relaxing, and just allow it to happen. I would either sit or lay down. I don't mean fall to the floor, but just like you kind of were so tired you fell asleep while sitting watching a movie kind of thing. Once you fully embrace a panic attack is harmless, then this become easier. What keeps the panic attack going is trying to flee to a safe place, and breathing more because you think you need more oxygen. All panic attacks end, right? but you want it over as soon as you can, and not feeding into it is how you do it. Soon, it just wont happen so much, and eventually it just wont happen ever. Once it's lost its power.

Like now, when I think of a panic attack, I know how badly it sucked, I still remember, but since I no longer fear it or even think it has any affect on my life, health or anything, I feel almost immune to it. Not 100%, but pretty damn immuned to it. It's just so obvious to me now, that it's just me stimulating the fight or flight response, and as adrenaline pours through my body, I will experience horrific symptoms. Symptoms that subside as adrenaline fades. Big whooop! It's really just a bunch of bullshit!

byhisgrace
04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
This is so true and so effective. Just last night I actually did this.

PanicCured
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Spread the word! It's that simple! If you keep doing this, you will care less and less about panic attacks and they will happen less and less. For long term healing, I suggest taking some herbs and some supplements too. Exercise and lifestyle changes, but you are well on your way!

Jme
04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Wow paniccured that's so nice to hear that u no longer live in fear. I wish I can say the same. My attacks mostly happen at night idk why and I try doing tension relaxation but nothing. My anxiety is in my mind I need to get my mind into thinking I'm ok and not to b afraid. But since having bad thoughts became a habit. How do u break a bad habbit? It ganna take a lot of work. But I hope to one day be cured like u. :)

PanicCured
04-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Jme, I believe you will be cured like me. Bad habits are broken by overriding them with new habits. Create new neural pathways. That is what Charles Linden says in his program and I agree.

For example: If you are scared of crowds or panic in them. Then you need to force yourself to be in crowds. Maybe start with a small crowd for a few minutes, then work your way up. But your WILL says, "I will be in big crowds eventually and I will do whatever it takes to get there."

The absolute key to getting better is your desire to get better. Your unstoppable WILL to get cured! Not to find the best crutch, or learn to deal or cope, or the right medication. Your WILL that will not stop until it is anxiety free. When you have a strong will like that and you totally know you can overcome anxiety, then all the other steps will just come at the right time and you will find what you ned to find at the right time, just like me.

The power is in your hands. Fake it til you make it!

Jme
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
My day time anxiety is gone if I get a panic attack or anxiety ik I can do it and I haven't had one in a while my problem is at night. That's when my anxiety hits everyday weather I was ok during the day it just always hits me. And ik its cuz I'm anxious when night time comes cuz ik I'm not going to sleep due to my insomnia but I'm causing my insomnia (ik I sound crazy) but I got insomnia due to anxiety and meds. And know my anxiety is ok but the insomnia is still there. How do I overcome my nigh time anxiety?

PanicCured
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Drink 2 nice strong cups of chamomile tea with some raw organic honey. Take passionflower extract and skullcap extract and 400 mg magnesium taurate or magnesium glycinate with the tea.

Maybe part of this is the old childhood fear of the dark thing.

dmcm
04-17-2012, 03:18 AM
must try this as im starting to have more frequent anxiety attacks. i have tried every thing but this so ill have ago next time and pm if it works

Emmzee
04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Goya love your tips. Do these work for derealization?

PanicCured
04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure. Worth a try I think. Let me know how it goes.

Emmzee
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
I used to have extreme anxiety and panic. I do not get panic attacks anymore. I have written extensively about how I overcame this problem, but this is a quick guide of what to do when anxiety creeps up or the panic has already occurred. This may not work for everyone, but I truly believe it will work for most people.

I have been using this technique and it works. I used to tense my body during such time that ( as I now think) would have made things even harder. As today I was feeling really anxious and I remembered this, i let my body loose, and it was like waves are passing over me but not within me as I am reading some magical words. After a while I felt better. I have to say Thankyou.

PanicCured
05-05-2012, 02:04 AM
That is wonderful to hear Emmzee! You have taken the first courageous step into overcoming anxiety by not feeding it and letting it pass over you. Fantastic work! You should be proud of yourself. Keep letting us know your progress. You didn't fall for the bluff. Great job!

Rgib95
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
I sometimes try to use these same techniques, or very similar. I learned them from a book my best friend recommended to me.

dazza
05-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Howdy!

The technique(s) described are certainly worth a try for sufferes at any stage, however during MY worst period of anxiety/attacks - I don't think this would have worked for me.

Due to the (well acknowledged) symptoms of chest pain, racing heart and general feeling of impending death... lol, there was no other way but for me to do the "flight" thang. I'd drive to my parents or partners - there was no other way.

They say "try not to "flight" & seek reassurance from others" but there was NO WAY I was going to sit and ride out the hell alone. NO WAY HO-ZAY!

Regards,
Darren

Buttercup
05-20-2012, 05:15 AM
some great info here! I am by no means anxiety free but my panic attacks are almost under control. I use some of the tips here especially if I feel panic coming on so that I can prevent a full blown attack. Something my therapist told me the other week which I find helpful is actually not to sit it out and wait, although this works for some folk not for me. She said that when the body is in it's fight/flight mode then sitting doing nothing can make things worse. The body is in this mode and ready to move, everything inside you is working extra fast in preparation for fight/flight so actually getting up and moving about can help get rid of the excess energy. I have found this has worked for me- for instance, instead of going into a toilet cubicle and sitting down waiting for it to pass trying to regulate your breathing etc I will walk about while focusing on regulating my breathing and in a way I will walk it off. However, this is obviously not always possible depending on where you are and what you are doing. In these case I try visualisation. I'll imaging myself in a protective bubble or with a shield around me- sounds lame but it has helped!

dazza
05-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I'll imaging myself in a protective bubble or with a shield around me- sounds lame but it has helped!

Haha!

Yep, sounds lame alright but if it works for you then that's great hon! :-)

At least you don't have to lie down like some people have to - no matter where they are!
Imagine that at at work... "Scuse me everybody in the office, I've just gotta lie down on the carpet here for a bit while I suffer this simulated heart attack. I won't be long"

The thing is - when you first get (contract?) anxiety disorder, you don't know what the hell it is and it's just horrific.

The very first ever panic attack is just hideous beyond description, but thinking back - something at the very darkest corner of my mind kinda knew it was panic and not real, despite the overwhelming symptoms that were going on.
(I didn't call for an ambulance by the way - yay me!, lol)

Uggghhh... makes me shudder thinking about that night (late December last year)

It takes a handful of massive panic attacks, some therapy and of course time to get to grips with it.
(From 6 months to a year is a reasonable time imo)

You've just got to chill really. Don't let the stuff that's worrying you - worry you, because worry is the route of many evils and is pretty pointless in itself.

PanicCured
05-20-2012, 05:15 PM
I had panic and now I don't. I probably won't ever again. I would advise you to take my tips seriously.

When I say this is the quick guide to stopping panic, that is exactly what I mean. You are telling me your method is better, yet you have not cured your anxiety disorder. That is not true that you are just unable to sit still and relax. I mean, if you need to walk a little or move a little with all that adrenaline flowing then there's no harm in that. But not to go searching for help or reassurance. But if you do these tips at the very beginning stages, your adrenaline may barely get released anyway. But I would advise you to just try this exactly as I laid out and see how it goes.

It is untrue that you MUST contact friends and drive somewhere, Dazza. That is only if you are not being at your most courageous self. A panic attack is a load of bullshit, and nothing bad will ever come of it. When you completely understand it and take that in, you don't need to run from it because it's a bluff anyway. Who cares if your heart is racing and you feel you are going crazy if you realize it is just a panic attack. Every runner, biker and swimmer has their heart race. But if you follow these tips I laid above, you may not even get into full blown panic. But searching for help and running around and over breathing and screaming HELP! isn't how you cure yourself. You may find a friend, family member or doctor to reassure you that you are ok, and then your panic attack may subside. But it will just happen again if this is your method of curing yourself. Or you can take medication with side effects which you will always need to take. My tips here are not to make you feel better and give you some nonsense reassurance, but to assist in curing you of panic completely and learn to out bluff the bluff.

Just take the right herbs and supplements to nourish your nerves, follow these tips, lead a healthy lifestyle with yoga and exercise and natural food, fully understand anxiety and what your symptoms mean, and force yourself to be in fearful situations and override the anxiety and the voices telling you that you can't do this or that or you will die, and you will be real good!

I would suggest you follow the tips at the top of the post word for word at least one time when you feel the first stages of panic come on and test it out and see. Just give it a try. Don't say I can't. Just do it. You will not die! Just try it.

God helps those who help themselves PERIOD!

bijeshad
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Whenever i feel stress i need togo bathroom and throw it if i dont go i feel i 'll do in my pant..which add fear to me....plz help...and i have a fear of diarrhoea when i go out....

bijeshad
05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Whenever i feel stress i need togo bathroom and throw it if i dont go i feel i 'll do in my pant..which add fear to me....plz help...and i have a fear of diarrhoea when i go out like travelling,seminar,theatre,exam hall,open space....plz help me to cure...

Blair Malcolm
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
I've never heard of this approach before, and honestly it makes a lot of sense. I just used it and I swear it worked!

PanicCured
05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Blair that is fantastic! I am so happy to hear that. Can you believe doctor's don't teach this and how simple it is?

ReanimatedAngel
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Anxiety talks a big game but it never delivers. A panic attack isn't coming close to death. You didn't survive some huge tragedy. It wasn't a near death experience. It was just bullshit all the way through, experiencing symptoms caused by chemicals released and an over active nervous system. Don't feel ashamed or feel guilty. It means nothing! Give it the middle finger and laugh your head off!

^^I love that. That's a good mantra to have. I laughed pretty hard when I read that. Thanks for the great post!

arsenalfun
06-14-2012, 12:39 AM
It's also good idea to massage temples.

brittany32888
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
what do you do when you are not alone and you feel one coming on? like a public place or at home with your child/spouse? i always feel more anxious when i have to explain what's going on, but feel it necessary before i can allow myself to work through it.

jessy
07-07-2012, 05:16 AM
This is very good advice & this is exactally what I do !!. It does work :-) :-)

lsapphirel
09-03-2012, 09:07 AM
This is really helpful. my situation is almost same as you, i cannot be alone at home. in fact i wont want to do anything alone at home. but im fine outside the house. well i developed symptoms when im out but wasnt enough to stop me from heading out and doing stuffs. its only at home that it starts. i do get a little fearful of my light headedness when im out though. i could sometimes feel like im toppling over, not fainting, but just topple over.

Dogtime
12-12-2012, 06:10 AM
All anxiety comes from within, including panic attacks. Locate your original scare and the symptoms constructed on top of it will crumble.

PanicCured
12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah it comes from within but once you have it on the physical level, I do believe it is physical. Its like your nerves are sensitive. The good thing is its totally curable 100%. Once you allow your body to heal and calm itself it starts fading away.

Saldav
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Drink 2 nice strong cups of chamomile tea with some raw organic honey. Take passionflower extract and skullcap extract and 400 mg magnesium taurate or magnesium glycinate with the tea.

Maybe part of this is the old childhood fear of the dark thing.

Are these the supplements you meant on the PM?

PanicCured
01-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Are these the supplements you meant on the PM?
Look:
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?14507-The-Definitive-Supplement-Regimen-to-Help-Cure-Your-Anxiety

cabcom
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Awesome....is this from a book?

jamus75
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
I have been doing this same thing and shutting them down before they start up. What he says works. Although I'm not 100% yet. I still don't see me ever being able to relax at the doctors office. That is my one big trigger. I have been able to control the other triggers 90% of the time but not this one. Just driving there gets me anxious. Sitting in the waiting room is when It comes fully on. When I know I'm next to go back I can barely breathe and my heart is racing like crazy. 150 bpm. I know the nurse will check my pulse and BP. They are both way up which makes me more anxious knowing that they think something is wrong with me. They see my vitals and believe I need meds for BP and HR. after hearing their concern it makes me more anxious. It's not til I can convince them I'm having a panic attack that it starts to subside. Pulse comes down to around 110 but BP is still up. After being there and talking to doc I can start to feel better. Still about 50% panicked until I walk out the door and leave.

lizzie
02-14-2013, 01:18 AM
I can totally relate to this the min I go in to a doctors room that's it I'm off my blood pressure is high my pulse the lot , and then if they say ur fine I'm relived it doesn't matter Wat it's over medical wise ( I have health Anxcity ) Wat it is about , just to hear a doctor say im ok helps ALOT !!! I think we are just so scared that there may be something wrong and the doctor may confirm that , we just need to give our selfs a break x x x

PanicCured
02-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Yes it works! Take the reigns and say FUCK YOU To anxiety! Get control! It's step by step and you first have to learn how to not let anxiety control you, and by doing this method you will not allow it to take control of you.

evettehg
02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Having a panic attack is easier said than done i try to control mine before they start and i still having a hard time i even wake up from my sleep having them...

Bertie123
03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot for the post, it was very helpful and I've had a first good night's sleep thanks to it yesterday. I have a question to you, though. How did you overcome the anxiety when you don't have a full-blown attack but you experience some things that you do when you have an attack? I mean - my main problem is that when I feel anxiety, my perceiving of world becomes different (as if I just woke up from a bad nap, more distant - I specifically described it here, if you will: /forum/showthread.php?16943-Feeling-as-if-you-just-woke-up-accompanied-by-anxiety) - I hate that as I even haven't ever been drunk so any change in how I feel the world around me is constantly making me think "When will it pass? When will it pass?".

Today I had a semi-attack but I just tried to keep calm and it went WORLDS better than yesterday (before reading your posts - basically I freaked out I'd never be well again. Seems funny now.) - when I relaxed everything was OK but a few hours later suddenly I started feeling different again. Not to the extent that I may call it an "attack" but a slight change in my senses is enough to make me uncomfortable. How should I behave when I don't have an attack but I do have a lesser degree of symptoms I experience when I have an attack (now, for example, I have a little bit of this "distant" feeling but it's not even close to how weird everything seems when I have an attack). Should I just try to calm down? But how? The same way you say to during an actual attack - control the breathing?

jesikahlaine
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I have had little bouts of panic attacks when leaving the house (some brief ones at home) i had a big one yesterday while out. I knew i was going to have an attack before i even left but i cant be left alone especially with my daughter as im scared of fainting.

I felt the dizzyness lump in my throat sweating hot flushes my vision went blurry. It felt like my head was swaying my mouth was dry. I wanted to run straight out the door i was crying paranoid ppl were staring. I sat it out, freaked when my mum got up to get food even tho i was sitting with my saughter & stepdad. I wanted to jump up & cuddle her tell her how i felt. Shes my safe person. I was so scared of passing out. Put my head in my hands & breathed. It did pass (the severe feelings) after about 10minutes but i felt on edge & nauseas for the rest of the shopping trip. I just wanted my parents to hurry up & get out of there.
I tell myself that its just anxiety, u will be fine. Its more the emotional toll its taken.
With my fear of being out alone or home alone do i just take it full on & do it. I was such an active outdoors person before. Now im petrified.

PanicCured
03-24-2013, 11:27 PM
I have had little bouts of panic attacks when leaving the house (some brief ones at home) i had a big one yesterday while out. I knew i was going to have an attack before i even left but i cant be left alone especially with my daughter as im scared of fainting.

I felt the dizzyness lump in my throat sweating hot flushes my vision went blurry. It felt like my head was swaying my mouth was dry. I wanted to run straight out the door i was crying paranoid ppl were staring. I sat it out, freaked when my mum got up to get food even tho i was sitting with my saughter & stepdad. I wanted to jump up & cuddle her tell her how i felt. Shes my safe person. I was so scared of passing out. Put my head in my hands & breathed. It did pass (the severe feelings) after about 10minutes but i felt on edge & nauseas for the rest of the shopping trip. I just wanted my parents to hurry up & get out of there.
I tell myself that its just anxiety, u will be fine. Its more the emotional toll its taken.
With my fear of being out alone or home alone do i just take it full on & do it. I was such an active outdoors person before. Now im petrified.

It takes practice. But it sounds like you are making progress. You are training your brain. You're mind is playing tricks on you and you need to get that rational part of your brain to take over. Do not over breathe or even hyperventilate in any way. Keep doing this method I described here a few more times and see if it gets easier. You got to have a breaking point at some time where you just can see through this bluff. Did you ever actually pass out or any of the things you fear actually ever even happen? If no, then you have to penetrate the illusion and see it's a huge bluff. And you do not need a safe person or a safe place. Try this method a few more times and let me know if you still make progress. I had massive panic attacks in public and while shopping, and here I am, just fine.

Bertie123
03-25-2013, 12:01 AM
It takes practice. But it sounds like you are making progress. You are training your brain. You're mind is playing tricks on you and you need to get that rational part of your brain to take over. Do not over breathe or even hyperventilate in any way. Keep doing this method I described here a few more times and see if it gets easier. You got to have a breaking point at some time where you just can see through this bluff. Did you ever actually pass out or any of the things you fear actually ever even happen? If no, then you have to penetrate the illusion and see it's a huge bluff. And you do not need a safe person or a safe place. Try this method a few more times and let me know if you still make progress. I had massive panic attacks in public and while shopping, and here I am, just fine.

And did you ever feel some smptoms of anxiety even when not feeling anxious? For example, my anxiety shows by changing my perception to a little more "distant", weird one but I feel like this not only when I have an attack and I'm wondering if that's normal or everything should be normal and unaltered when not having an attack?

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 02:19 AM
And did you ever feel some smptoms of anxiety even when not feeling anxious? For example, my anxiety shows by changing my perception to a little more "distant", weird one but I feel like this not only when I have an attack and I'm wondering if that's normal or everything should be normal and unaltered when not having an attack?

Yes. Sometimes you will feel weird and something isn't right and you can be engulfed in fear without an attack. I think this is what is called General Anxiety Disorder.

Brittany1995
03-25-2013, 02:31 AM
My thing is I always think there's something wrong with my brain. And that's why I panic. Like I right now I can't even sleep. I get weird sensations in my head, or little jolts of mild pain. It freaks me out. I feel very dizzy and out of reality, like I'm not here, or dreaming! I have a psychiatrist apt on the 9th. Until then idk what to do! Advice is welcomed....with open arms....

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 04:17 AM
My thing is I always think there's something wrong with my brain. And that's why I panic. Like I right now I can't even sleep. I get weird sensations in my head, or little jolts of mild pain. It freaks me out. I feel very dizzy and out of reality, like I'm not here, or dreaming! I have a psychiatrist apt on the 9th. Until then idk what to do! Advice is welcomed....with open arms....

Well from me, I said most of what I needed to say in my 3 sticky threads here, this one, the techniques one and supplements one. Please read them. They are from my perspective. Different people will have different takes on it, but most of the paths leading to curing anxiety are pretty similar. In hindsight, if I knew then what I know now, I could have overcome the problem quicker. If you are going to a psychiatrist, then this must mean you assume your problem is due to your mind. Therefore, wouldn't the best thing to do is heal your mind and work on changing behaviors?

Bertie123
03-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Yes. Sometimes you will feel weird and something isn't right and you can be engulfed in fear without an attack. I think this is what is called General Anxiety Disorder.

I see. Thanks a lot. Also, how did you respond to such days (/hours/periods of time) when you felt weird but knew you didn't have an attack? I read all of your threads and they're great so I freak out a little less when having an attack but am quite clueless on what to do when I just feel weird for some time but am not panicing or nothing - just talking with my family/friends and feeling weird or lost as if the day just started for me (though I can recall every past minute). Should I just try to stay calm? And no matter if I see an improvement or not, just try to focus on something else and push aside any thoughts about the weirdness?

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I see. Thanks a lot. Also, how did you respond to such days (/hours/periods of time) when you felt weird but knew you didn't have an attack? I read all of your threads and they're great so I freak out a little less when having an attack but am quite clueless on what to do when I just feel weird for some time but am not panicing or nothing - just talking with my family/friends and feeling weird or lost as if the day just started for me (though I can recall every past minute). Should I just try to stay calm? And no matter if I see an improvement or not, just try to focus on something else and push aside any thoughts about the weirdness?

Think long-term. If your problem is anxiety, then all these weird symptoms go away once you are better. Do the techniques to heal your nervous system and keep you calm and retrain your mind. When your anxiety is better all the weird symptoms will go away. Fake it until you make it. Act as if you do not have anxiety. Take a supplement that can help calm you but also nourish you like http://www.easternessentials.com/store/other-remedies/stay-calm-and-relaxed-formula/

Eat healthy, do yoga 2-3 times a week. Go on long walks, get sunshine, try and be around friends and family, ignore the voice telling you that you can't do something such as be in crowds and slowly little by little do them. Do all the necessary steps to healing yourself. Basically, get healthy and healed.

Bertie123
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Think long-term. If your problem is anxiety, then all these weird symptoms go away once you are better. Do the techniques to heal your nervous system and keep you calm and retrain your mind. When your anxiety is better all the weird symptoms will go away. Fake it until you make it. Act as if you do not have anxiety. Take a supplement that can help calm you but also nourish you like easternessentials.com/store/other-remedies/stay-calm-and-relaxed-formula

Eat healthy, do yoga 2-3 times a week. Go on long walks, get sunshine, try and be around friends and family, ignore the voice telling you that you can't do something such as be in crowds and slowly little by little do them. Do all the necessary steps to healing yourself. Basically, get healthy and healed.

Thanks a lot, will surely incorporate your advices to my life! Your responses helped me a great deal. One more question, if you could: as I said, I don't have any specific phobias, no problems with going out (actually I often can't wait to get out and clear my mind), no concrete things triggering my fears. Is it still normal that even in 100% peaceful situations like talking with my family, when I feel my mind at ease and relaxed, normal breath, I sometimes feel weird (similar derealization to when I had attacks) and can't do anything about it? Did you have this too? Or when you were just calm, nothing bad happened? Or maybe it's just my thought that I'm at ease while in reality it isn't that simple?

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot, will surely incorporate your advices to my life! Your responses helped me a great deal. One more question, if you could: as I said, I don't have any specific phobias, no problems with going out (actually I often can't wait to get out and clear my mind), no concrete things triggering my fears. Is it still normal that even in 100% peaceful situations like talking with my family, when I feel my mind at ease and relaxed, normal breath, I sometimes feel weird (similar derealization to when I had attacks) and can't do anything about it? Did you have this too? Or when you were just calm, nothing bad happened? Or maybe it's just my thought that I'm at ease while in reality it isn't that simple?

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but maybe someone else here does and can help you with this. But "normal", I don't know. Obviously it is not normal. Normal would be to not feel weird all the time, wouldn't it? But saying you feel your mind at ease and relaxed yet you still feel weird, I am not sure what you mean. I didn't have derealization too much. Some people here have this as their main symptom. I am not sure what derealization actually means. For me it was like various times throughout the day I was on the verge of massive panic attacks, and they felt uncontrollable. There were times I could barely leave my home without it being triggered. Sometimes just getting out of bed would trigger it. Showers would trigger it. I felt this enormous need to escape and find a safe place and safe people. When anxiety was so bad I would feel I was going insane and my mind was going to explode or just shatter. If I felt relaxed and peaceful, I usually didn't have too many of these symptoms. SO I am not sure what you mean. But I know someone on this site does. My guess is your nervous system is still on a heightened state of alert so it needs to be calm and nourished.

Bertie123
03-26-2013, 06:22 AM
I see. Will try to push aside the bad feelings, then, and force myself to do things I used to do but now see no point in doing (that's one of the problems, also - my passions became something like "activities to make me forget about derealization" rather than "activities to make me relaxed/happy"). Thank you very much!

jesikahlaine
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM

I do try to keep my breathing at a steady rate. I have been shown belly breathing but i find if i just breathe nice & slow & tell myself to relax this reduces it a fraction.
I cant even remember reading or writing this im guessing i wrote it before i started meds, i have tried to block out all my experiences because it makes me upset & sometimes bring on the panic feelings.
I have never passed out but i get this weird confused heavy eye & head feeling where i feel like im going to loose it & i just want to run... i dunno why or where i want to run to but i just want to run.. its more a fear to go out with my 4.5yr old daughter. Im scared of feeling like this not being able to control an attack & something happening to her.

jesikahlaine
04-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I also felt anxiety from waking up to bed time it really took over me. Now with meds im learning to just... blah.. its there, it hasnt hurt u just keep going.
But still havent been alone in or out of the house yet.

PanicCured
04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I also felt anxiety from waking up to bed time it really took over me. Now with meds im learning to just... blah.. its there, it hasnt hurt u just keep going.
But still havent been alone in or out of the house yet.

What's the worst that can happen if you are outside alone? Nobody dies from walking outside alone. Worst case scenario you have a panic attack. Then just follow this method and it will pass. You have to face your fears. The healing process is you facing your demons. You must do this. If you get a panic attack just be still and let it pass. It will pass. It always passes. But you won'
t be cured if you don't go through it. You have to go to the fearful situation and push through it. TRUST ME! You will be ok! Little by little, but you have to do it. You don't need a safe place or a safe person. They are illusions.

RossLeahy
04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
hi i was wondering weather you had any advice for when it all gets to much and the barriors go up in your brain taking away you ability to be rational thinking. Because i can do these simple techinques when i can feel one coming on but as in cases like today its came on so quick and it was full scale meltdown and i couldnt help but scream im dying im dying im going to die it was horrific. If anybody has any information how to reclaim rationality i would be very greateful thank you. Ross Leahy.

PanicCured
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
hi i was wondering weather you had any advice for when it all gets to much and the barriors go up in your brain taking away you ability to be rational thinking. Because i can do these simple techinques when i can feel one coming on but as in cases like today its came on so quick and it was full scale meltdown and i couldnt help but scream im dying im dying im going to die it was horrific. If anybody has any information how to reclaim rationality i would be very greateful thank you. Ross Leahy.

I understand what you are saying but you haven't really lost all rational thinking. You have to use your WILL to overcome the FEAR.

jolene
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
i dont think it helps when your in an anxiety freaky mode, maybe having a panic attack yeah it passes but my anxiety starts as soon as i get up i feel the anxiety there staright away as soon as i open my eyes. i drag myself through the day it stops me from going out it drives me and upsets me so much that i cry most days, i used to be so strong. i hate my kids seeing me like this i dont take them anywhere. i went to college today and managed an hour and a half. ive taken citalopram 4 year ago and it caused the anxiety to get worse, they gave me 2mg valium to take with it then put me on 20mg they finally started to work a little at around 8 weeks. i was given cbt to from dr dawn on embarrasing bodies, that helped a little to after 3 month of not been able to leave the house. i stopped taking the citalopram after 2 n half year on them i felt fine even after a bad break up with a partner felt fine. but year n half after stopping these, im again strugging with anxiety i could kick meself for stopping them. ive tried councelling 8 sessions did not help at all. ive had bloods and ecg results are fine. im being referred to a palpatation clinic. the doctors have prescribed me fluxetine managed 4 days on them the side effects were disgusting i also lost 6lb in 5 days off them. the doc told me to stop these and told me i cant be on any tablet as they will all make my anxiety worse and he referred me to talking changes cbt again. after leaving college due to anxiety today i tried to ride the symptoms out but couldnt my symptoms are feeling sick, detatched, eyes seem sensetive to light headaches and aches today i found i have a really bad pain in my neck :( and i was automatically thinking ohhhh theres something not right. i feel jittery, and on edge like something bad is about to happen. i day dream a lot with the way i feel to, today docs have prescribed me trazadone not sure what mg as yet pick them up tomorrow. i try n try to ride this anxiety out but i just cant do it you make it sound so easy. but i feel if someone is so lost in extreme anxiety/painc its impossible to even think about riding this out! im currently looking into medetating and hypnotherapy im searching and searching for ways to releave this anxiety, so if anyone has any advise please help :) sometimes i feel im going crazy and need to be in a mental hospital is this normal to feel this way?

PanicCured
04-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Jolene how many meds are you on? I wonder if you suffer side effects from meds. I don't know. Maybe even side effects from stopping meds.

Look, you have to not say it's too hard or I make it sound so easy or it won't work. You have to get hell bent on curing yourself. Take meds or don't take meds, but you are the one who cures yourself. Even if you take supplements, you are the one who gets yourself on the healing path and you are the one who makes the decisions. Doctors can't cure anxiety. They can only assist. You are too obsessed with doctors and medical tests. Take all the tests and when your diagnosed as just anxiety then accept it.
There is a general anxiety and there is panic attack. This method I described in this thread is how to not get from anxiety to panic attack. You feel it coming on but it's the 2nd fear that you add that causes the panic attack. Learn to let the anxiety pass over you without adding 2nd fear. But you got to stop thinking you have some disease that doctors will find and give you the miracle pill to cure you. Just make a goal to be anxiety free and keep at it. You must know that you can be cured and don't ever doubt it and little by little do the steps necessary to cure it. Read my thread about the techniques I did to cure my anxiety and get on some type of path similar to mine and you should see good results. I don't mean copy me exactly but let it inspire you to create your own healing path. Please read it. You can do this but you have to be strong willed!

DustingMyselfOff
04-23-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree with all / most of what you say, Panic, but do you have any tips that can successfully get me driving on the highway again? I had an attack about 2 weeks ago and now, of course, as soon as I get on the entrance ramp to the highway, I freeze. I have tried telling myself to knock it off and stop thinking about it but of course that causes you to think about it. So I have told myself to accept it, embrace it, and let it pass, BUT, it's really difficult (and dangerous) to ride one out when you're navigating traffic on a highway. I'm very good at self-relaxation and I enjoy meditating and even tried a self-hypnosis the other night (which, by the way, caused me to wake up the next morning in a great mood with no anxiety! I felt so great all day that I left work and headed for the highway ready to kick anxiety's butt, but it bit me in mine instead. :( )

Thanks in advance for any "letting it happen and pass" while driving on the highway.
Sue

PanicCured
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
I agree with all / most of what you say, Panic, but do you have any tips that can successfully get me driving on the highway again? I had an attack about 2 weeks ago and now, of course, as soon as I get on the entrance ramp to the highway, I freeze. I have tried telling myself to knock it off and stop thinking about it but of course that causes you to think about it. So I have told myself to accept it, embrace it, and let it pass, BUT, it's really difficult (and dangerous) to ride one out when you're navigating traffic on a highway. I'm very good at self-relaxation and I enjoy meditating and even tried a self-hypnosis the other night (which, by the way, caused me to wake up the next morning in a great mood with no anxiety! I felt so great all day that I left work and headed for the highway ready to kick anxiety's butt, but it bit me in mine instead. :( )

Thanks in advance for any "letting it happen and pass" while driving on the highway.
Sue

Thanks for writing Sue. I always am willing to help anyone that is putting out the effort to help themselves. I had traffic anxiety too, though not so much freeway. But in traffic, I would always think how can I get out of here and flee to safety if I need to. It's all the same thing Sue. Driving on an on ramp, in crowds, shopping, fear of whatever, it's all the same. Don't let it fool you. A car you can feel lonely and claustrophobic, like you are in some cage where if something went wrong nobody can help you. But it's just a bluff. It's just a mind-trick. You know this, so always know this. You're in a car, so you have to be careful not to get in an accident, so always be safe, but just stay calm and breathe lightly. If I were you, I would go on one entrance for one exit and stay in the right lane. Then do 2 exits, Then little by little go in the next lane. just do something little by little over a few days or if you have to, a few weeks. Just do your best to progress and keep putting out the energy to make it happen. The worst thing you can do is give up and not do it. So start small and keep progressing until your mind gets the idea that nothing will happen to you and it's all a bluff. Let me know how it goes!

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Panic.
Again, I agree with what you say and with your suggested remedies and I know they will take practice, practice, practice (and a lot of guts) but the highway thing is really kicking my butt. It's not a fear of being trapped or claustrophobic ...... it's that I fear I will get dizzy/faint while driving and as soon as I think that, I create it and I DO get very faint and kinda "freeze" and just need to make it stop. Of course I can't since I'm on the highway. So now I have to get on the highway saying "I KNOW you're going to try to put yourself into a panic attack but you ARE going to do this anyway and will hopefuly not have an accident."

I think my nerves are on such high alert right now that even the distant thought of trying to get on the highway sets my heart racing and my head feeling light. I'm going to try a few miles tonight after work but I'm not expecting miracles.... I have slightly increased my meds and have been meditating more and practicing warding off attacks all day (fairly successfully, too!) so I am hoping in a few days my nerves will be a little less sensitized and I can tell myself to knock it off with the stupid fainting fear.

Stay tuned, and if you see a navy blue Jeep Grand Cherokee on the side of the highway, wave as you go by. :)
Sue

PanicCured
04-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Sue trust me! None of those things will happen to you when you are on the highway. Being dizzy or any symptoms you fear, have no relationship to being on a highway. Think about it! Nothing will happen except you freaking out. You won't pass out. So what if you get a little dizzy. You aren't going to just pass out. Driving on highways do no relate to passing out. Just keep your breathing very calm. Do not hyperventilate in any way. This is very important.

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Sue trust me! None of those things will happen to you when you are on the highway. Being dizzy or any symptoms you fear, have no relationship to being on a highway. Think about it! Nothing will happen except you freaking out. You won't pass out. So what if you get a little dizzy. You aren't going to just pass out. Driving on highways do no relate to passing out. Just keep your breathing very calm. Do not hyperventilate in any way. This is very important.

I'm home, and safe. And I went on the highway, TWICE! Granted they weren't long trips, I went on a highway that trucks aren't allowed on and went maybe 5 miles. Got off the exit, got right back on going in the opposite direction (toward home) and it wasn't as terrible as the last time I tried (Monday).

I think you'd be proud of me... I had a quick talk with myself before going, telling myself that if I could bring on a panic attack, (which I can do VERY well) then I can also NOT bring on a panic attack. I told myself that if I have a panic attack on the highway it would only be because I WANTED to have one, and if so, then I would need to figure out WHY I do this to myself. I also psyched myself up by convincing myself that instead of being afraid, I was curious and anxious to see which way this went, sort of like a research experiment. I got onto the highway confidently and before the ramp yielded into the main flow I panicked and pulled over. But that's OK! I had told myself beforehand that if I felt like pulling over, big deal, then pull over. So I did. Within 10 seconds I realized it was stupid and started up again. I fluctuated back and forth between being ok and being panicked, about 50/50. Even when I wasn't panicking I was tensed and on guard so of course the adrenaline was flowing. When I would panic and kinda "freeze" I would pinch my arm to distract myself and had earlier told myself that whenever I pinched my arm I would fee a sense of relaxation. The mind is a powerful thing. Amazing, really, but still frightening.

Speaking of the mind being amazing, the memory and the ability to feel exactly what you have in the past is incredible. When I got to the part of the highway where I had panicked a week ago, it was as strong and as intense as the first time. I tried to concentrate on how fascinating the brain works and soon I was able to successfully get to my exit.

So, it wasn't a total success, but why in hell would I expect to be whistling and singing the whole way already? As it is I was in a very tensed state when I started my journey so it would be ridiculous to think the trip would be enjoyable.

I think my anger is what's going to get me through this.... I refuse to lose any more years to this affliction. I may have had to put up with it when I was younger and less wise, but I don't have the patience for it anymore, damn it!
Sue

PanicCured
04-24-2013, 05:26 PM
WOW Sue! that is fantastic! You so truly get it! You are of the minority of people here who absolutely get it! You are doing the things I always tell people to do, but so few are willing to do what you did.

"I had a quick talk with myself before going, telling myself that if I could bring on a panic attack, (which I can do VERY well) then I can also NOT bring on a panic attack. I told myself that if I have a panic attack on the highway it would only be because I WANTED to have one, and if so, then I would need to figure out WHY I do this to myself."

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You are the disease and you are the cure! You are fully grasping these concepts. you went out of your way to conquer your fears. Keep doing what you're doing. This is real healing now. You are actually retraining your brain. Keep doing it and eventually your brain will get it too!

Your actions are showing me that if you keep this up with the same attitude and the will to get better, you will be 100% anxiety free within a few months! You understand now when I say use your WILL to conquer your FEAR. See how anxiety is a bluff that you can totally conquer? It's not some bizarre exotic complicated disease. You have to take responsibility for it and own it and ten you can control it. Now tell the others who keep arguing with me to just shut up and make it happen. Go look in the Anxiety Rehab thread as everyone is so hell bent on insisting they can't be helped and they won't listen to me.

Keep me informed. Just use that unstoppable drive to get better all day long in everything you do. Recreate your life and recreate your habits.

You're on your way!

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the kudos and vote of confidence. I am wiped out right now but at least it's from fighting this rather than from being depressed that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Yes, I agree that a lot of this can be controlled and conquered with attitude and determination, but I will also be the first to admit that I don't think I could do this without the help of a little medication. When you are in a constant frenzied, white-knuckled state, you can't find the strength or will or determination to push yourself even further because just getting through an hour is taking all you've got.

When I was young and the panic attacks were taking over, I took myself to a shrink. She wanted me to get on meds but I refused...... I was scared of them and figured we could "talk" me healthy. But after a few sessions she convinced me that there was no way I could successfully move forward or begin to work on things until I gave my nervous system some rest. She compared it to the hairs on an arm..... they are normally lying flat and only raise when we're frightened or chilled, but when in this state of chronic anxiety they are ALWAYS standing erect and it takes only the slightest influence for them to stand even straighter.. Once you've allowed them to lie flat for a while and get some rest you can then start to rationalize and deal with whatever needs dealing with.

I'm going to keep up this attitude and keep fighting this, but I don't think I could do it without a little medicinal help. Once I (or some others) are so chronically in panic mode, our bodies and minds are too exhausted to think rationally.

Thanks for the support.
Sue

NixonRulz
04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
So cool to hear success stories

Well done

Keep letting that panic come so you can keep seeing how it doesn't do a dam thing but make you uncomfortable.

You are so on your way!!!!

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
So cool to hear success stories

Well done

Keep letting that panic come so you can keep seeing how it doesn't do a dam thing but make you uncomfortable.

You are so on your way!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, but I have to admit, I was kind of surprised/shocked to be called a success story. I feel like I just barely scratched the surface and am actually a little bummed out that going on a short highway trip is causing me such anguish. I guess compared to what a lot of others are going through (and what I went through for 30 years of my life) this IS progress, but definitely not a success story.

For the first time in this 40 year battle, though, I feel angry, determined and ready to get to the bottom of it and "fix it" for good rather than just keep putting band-aids on it. There is something in me that causes me to ALWAYS have some challenge, whether it be panic attacks, tics, OCD, hypochondria, etc. I want to find out WHY and alleviate it all! I have an appointment with our marriage counselor tomorrow and while there I will get her recommendations on who I should see who can help me with this. This has robbed enough of my life - time to stop the madness.

Thanks again for pat on the back. :)
Sue

PanicCured
04-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes, I agree that a lot of this can be controlled and conquered with attitude and determination, but I will also be the first to admit that I don't think I could do this without the help of a little medication.

But Sue, this is the correct usage of medication! You take the medication so you can function, and while you are on it, you work on healing yourself so eventually you can get off them. This is how everybody should think but they don't. They take the medication then go on their merry way. You are so on the right path! Just don't get off them without tapering slowly. It's great to see someone here who gets it!

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I have tried several times to get off the Prozac, and I wean off VERY slowly, but as soon as I get down to 5 mg a day, the panic attacks return and i go back on the meds. Of course I wasn't doing any learning, healing or brain-retraining, either... I was simply trying to remove the only thing that was keeping me functional (the drugs).

I'm not going to set any really tough goals for myself because I don't need the extra pressure right now, but for the first time in decades I feel like maybe some day I will be drug free, or at least will only need to keep a few tranq's with me "for emergencies".

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Sue

Lin
04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Well done for managing highway. It is so hard to push your head when struggling against you. I have been pushing myself more last two weeks by now and again trying a couple of shops or meeting people for lunch again. But still find head goes into over drive so i panic inside. and want to get out or I talk too much. Sleep is out the window at moment which is OK because off sick after operations but going back to work soon so need to get it back proper soon. Strange how fear and panic even if not based on anything real can be so hard to overcome. By the way I do take lots of tablets at moment, but i always come off them when I get better. Hope you continue doing things, as hard as it is.

warumtera
04-25-2013, 12:16 AM
great ...thank you

iwouldicould
11-01-2013, 03:49 AM
getting cure of the panic naturally is the best option you can do., while there are many treatment out there - you only need to choose the best option that suits for you.
while you can opt for the cure, you too can try all the natural way to treat panic youself. like taking a deep breathe, talking positive to yourself, thinking all the calmness and so on.,
taking control of your mind is the best method. like the saying goes, everything is in your mind. it is hard but it is definitely do-able.

Amanda Almeida
01-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I recommend getting away from the computer to computer stress/anxiety relief. In his TEDx Talk, Dr. Almeida talks about potential side effects of technology leading to stress and depression. His talk is titled, "Breaking Free From Technology" If you type Breaking Free From Technology on google, it is the first or second option. It is worth watching.

clover
01-17-2014, 08:00 AM
i need to try this...thanks for posting

kcladyz
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I hear facing what gives you anxiety and or panics will help you over come it. I try to internally talk myself out of a panic attack and sometimes it helps.

crmac50
03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
great advice. Thanks!

Miss99
06-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Awesome list - Thanks!! One thing I have used and it works is water ..splash it on you ..wash your hands in cold water , Splash your face with it. No idea why but it does maybe it shocks your senses back in place :)

Scillaflower
07-05-2014, 04:57 PM
I liked this a lot and will have to try some of these! the only one I have a problem with is do nothing. I mainly have panic attacks when I'm driving, if I pulled over to calm down everytime, I would be late to everything :(

KenPowell
07-22-2014, 01:52 PM
One quick tip to stopping panic attacks

Breathing deeply. Focus on your breath. Tell yourself that this is just a panic attack and nothing bad is going to happen to you. Focus on getting your attention your breath and your breath only, eliminating other negative thoughts that draw you into the vicious thought cycle.

T. Michael
07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Here's advice that I have for you that's worked for us:

1) Go outside, BREATHE and look up at the sky and grass.

2) Come back inside, drink some water.

3) Lie down, and search on YouTube "Powerful Meditation - FinallyOM" (Focus on each note of the music)

We found that by doing this, you will calm down and fall asleep OR you become in a nice calming state which ultimately makes you feel better.

Hope this info helps out!

PanicCured
07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
I liked this a lot and will have to try some of these! the only one I have a problem with is do nothing. I mainly have panic attacks when I'm driving, if I pulled over to calm down everytime, I would be late to everything :(

"Do nothing" is not only physical but also mental. So much that keeps the panic attack going is this obsessive drive to find a safe place or a safe person. Resisting that urge to pace in circles and run is also like doing nothing. Of course, if you are driving, you can't lay down and close your eyes so the point you are making is a bit silly. But then again, if you are having a panic attack while driving, it is not safe to you or others and you should pull over.

missath
10-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi Panic Cured, I really admire you helping others..and any of you who are willing to help. Its great to see what works for you! I remember in therapy the 'don't fight it, just accept it approach' but its been over 7 months since I last saw a therapist.(moved countries, no job).I was on anti-depressants for a year then off for a year, then on for a year..which hasn't helped. I decided to come off them again 2 months ago,as I am getting married in 1 week and a half..The whole marriage arranging has been super stressful for me..I am living abroad (in Germany) and we are getting married in Greece..All the paperwork arranging, and the Greeks just delaying everything, has made me a nervous wreck!I am very neurotic as a person with deep rooted low self confidence (my therapist said its the lowest she has ever seen, after doing 3 psychological tests).Anyhow, it is something I really need to work on..My husband to be is German, I am Greek/british and I found out recently his sister thinks i'm not right for him..There are certain cultural differences (Germans more perfectionist than myself).. This has upset me deeply and created extra stress..There will only be 13 of us on the day we are getting married,(immediate family and 3 friends) but i am terrified as the day approaches..My neurotic/depressive mother stresses me out rather than supports me, my disabled brother has always made life very hard and my father is lying to his current wife about our wedding day, cos I don't want that toxic woman there..(I have a lovely dysfunctional family!!)Even so, I have to deal with the sister (in law) being there now who doesn't 'approve of me'. I used to really like spending time at her family home with my partner, but now i just feel sad and dissappointed.This makes me worry about panic attacks on the day..etc...
I have been a nightmare to be around and my poor partner doesnt know what to do with me..Any slight criticism he might make, really really upsets me..I feel truly awful! I'm trying to focus on the positives..I have been ok-ish since coming off anti-depressants, but the main thing i dont like is how easily i get upset and irritable, and worried! Any advice on how to deal with all this pre-marital stress and the stress on the day, would be muchly appreciated..
I have also been scared of commitment,( divorced parents) so marriage is a huge 'nervous' deal for me, more so than my partner. All my insecurities are intensifying.. I am very grateful to have found someone that loves me and I love him..However, my fears and overwhelming negative thinking is making things so hard!! I wish I had a switch that could just turn off my thinking and emotions..I know there is a lot worse to be upset about, and I've had worst times and dealt with them, but I could really use a little support in the week leading up to our marriage..Thank you in advance!

PanicCured
11-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I used to really like spending time at her family home with my partner, but now i just feel sad and dissappointed.This makes me worry about panic attacks on the day..etc...
I have been a nightmare to be around and my poor partner doesnt know what to do with me..Any slight criticism he might make, really really upsets me..I feel truly awful! I'm trying to focus on the positives..I have been ok-ish since coming off anti-depressants, but the main thing i dont like is how easily i get upset and irritable, and worried! Any advice on how to deal with all this pre-marital stress and the stress on the day, would be muchly appreciated..

To be honest, I am the last person to give marital advice to, but with regards to fearing a panic attack- why fear it? Who cares? All you do is follow the steps here and it goes away. It's just adrenaline running through your body and as long as you don't give any importance to it, it fades. Panic Attacks are just your body chemicals. So what? Don't fear a panic attack. They are a joke!

When it comes to getting off medication, that can be problematic. You need to do a very very slow taper, often slower than a doctor recommends. That can cause anxiety in itself. An example of a method for getting of SSRIs or Benzos can be like cutting it a tiny bit and taking it for 2 weeks to stabilize. Then cut a little more and stabilize on that dose for 2 weeks, and keep doing this until it is at such a small dose then you can jump. You are only cutting so little that your body doesn't go into any shock. You will have some withdrawal but not too much if you do it like this. This is an example, but you will need to find out more from your doctor.

KellyMN
11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
This is a great post! I used to get very angry when people would tell me to "accept" my anxiety. I would tell them "NO WAY!" no way am I going to accept this horrible feeling and not being able to feel 'comfortable' anyway. I was going to fight this thing tooth and nail!! But then I realized what it meant.. accept that I am an anxious person.. accept that I am going get anxious from time to time.. Once I accept that this little feeling will come occasionally I can stop trying to avoid, or anticipate them. I did not immediatly panic when a felt a tinge of anxiety. I can say that medication did help me tremendously, and clearly I'm not cured :(, I'm back here. after several years of no meds and no anxiety.. it came back :( now I'm trying to remind myself of everything I knew before, and I have to rationalize with myself again.. I need to convince myself that yes, this is panic, yes this in anxiety.. yes, you have gotten past this before... I will admit I am still angry that it is back.. I thought I had beat this thing!! I thought I knew how to control these fears.. I 'know' what is happening to me and what I SHOULD think or do, but I can't.. My therapist had to remind me of the accept part of it.. I'm an anxious person, it is not surprising that it is back.. I am equipt with all the tools on how to handle it, so I try to find the positive in the situation.. again.. I can talk the talk, but not sure if I can walk the walk.....

PanicCured
11-14-2014, 07:28 AM
This is a great post! I used to get very angry when people would tell me to "accept" my anxiety. I would tell them "NO WAY!" no way am I going to accept this horrible feeling and not being able to feel 'comfortable' anyway. I was going to fight this thing tooth and nail!! But then I realized what it meant.. accept that I am an anxious person.. accept that I am going get anxious from time to time.. Once I accept that this little feeling will come occasionally I can stop trying to avoid, or anticipate them. I did not immediatly panic when a felt a tinge of anxiety. I can say that medication did help me tremendously, and clearly I'm not cured :(, I'm back here. after several years of no meds and no anxiety.. it came back :( now I'm trying to remind myself of everything I knew before, and I have to rationalize with myself again.. I need to convince myself that yes, this is panic, yes this in anxiety.. yes, you have gotten past this before... I will admit I am still angry that it is back.. I thought I had beat this thing!! I thought I knew how to control these fears.. I 'know' what is happening to me and what I SHOULD think or do, but I can't.. My therapist had to remind me of the accept part of it.. I'm an anxious person, it is not surprising that it is back.. I am equipt with all the tools on how to handle it, so I try to find the positive in the situation.. again.. I can talk the talk, but not sure if I can walk the walk.....

With regards to a panic attack, I see it as allowing the chemicals to do their thing and not adding any additional fear. Retraining the mind to not feel the first anxious feelings and go into fight or flight mode. I also do believe in doing the right steps to heal the nervous system, get the body back to health and rewrite new behaviors and habits. It is a process.

PanicCured
11-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Great! How many times have you read me write the same thing over and over again, even getting yelled at by people here for it, until you finally got it? I told you this so many times. You just had to figure it out on your own. Now you know the whole panic thing is a total joke, right? And this site is filled with people who haven't go the joke yet.

panicallthetime
11-20-2014, 02:52 AM
What I've been doing lately is running straight outside when I get a panic attack. I'm usually at home when they happen (thank god) and I just go right out the door into my garden. I've been sitting on the ground and just breathing the fresh air, and it's been snapping me out of it MUCH better than all other techniques I've tried in the past. It's still no quick fix of course but it's worked for me the best so far.

PanicCured
11-20-2014, 08:50 PM
What I've been doing lately is running straight outside when I get a panic attack. I'm usually at home when they happen (thank god) and I just go right out the door into my garden. I've been sitting on the ground and just breathing the fresh air, and it's been snapping me out of it MUCH better than all other techniques I've tried in the past. It's still no quick fix of course but it's worked for me the best so far.

The problem is you want to get to the point where you no longer need to do that. There is enough oxygen where you were to begin with. Your garden may become your safe place and that is counter productive. Next time, try and just follow my steps in the original post. Every anxious person has a safe place and safe person and they become crutches.
"I'm usually at home when they happen (thank god) "you need to see through that illusion. You are safer in public than in your home. It has become your safe place. Don't follow those voices in your head saying you must go to a safe place.

PanicCured
11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Because its an inside joke. Any connection to unresolved problems is immediately severed once the onset of physical symptoms begin. Another words the brooding (often months or years) over external problems is not connected with the apparent attacks. The attacks are given a life of their own, and viewed separate. IE: attacks that are unjustifiable from the body itself (the body has gone awry). Thus immediate steps are taken to cure the body (ER, etc) while the internal conditions still exist, and hidden to the sufferer, are actually the cause as to what he is experiencing. I am teaching you why you have opposition to your methods here. Why it is so hard for people to 'get it'. Although the individual has sensitized himself, The reasons are forgotten in lieu of the focus now on the body. Long standing financial problems for example, the individual finds no way to resolve them and thus broods for a year enlivening his system (sensitize) to the point of exaggerated chemical reactions. Once the body 'acts up' he then forgets the finances and focuses on his immediate issue, fixing the sensations, thus the illness becomes long standing because the incipient problem (finances) is not resolved. Anxiety could be called a 'diversion' and that wouldn't be far from the truth.

Now, in regards to why people fight, flee, rather than sit, wait, and face :

Who would have ever thought that the answer to fight or flight is to sit. "Now, your in the lions den alone, we just need to wait...for the lion....THERE HE IS COMING TOWARD YOU !!....Im outta here, but you cannot move....JUST SIT"

You will either be eaten, or you will see your fears for what they are, either way retreat is not an option.

It seems counter-intuitive, and to the nervously ill, it would never occur that the lion was a mirage, period. With no prior training, or understanding or knowledge, you ask them to sit and risk being eaten, or so they think that will happen (instinct).

nervous illness is insidious, because it is counter intuitive to biological responses. Now one has to say, if the ability to imagine is just as real as reality itself, then the impetus should proect against both. Because you surely cannot say, "man has created a faulty biological system within himself", It is not the fault of the chemicals, and the only imbalance is the one created by the waves of thought.

Man must be fighting his demons, then. If we look at so called anxiety symbolically, since chemically its doing its job. And if its doing its job against illusions of a lion, then it must be mans crafty way of facing his own internal "ghosts".

For the sake of health, medically speaking, its good to not place that second fear upon the first by being afraid of how you feel, and to eventually awaken to that idea. Truly fear upon fear is most debilitating.

One must work with the first fear too, is that a real lion? Or am I making my problems out to be larger than life? The lion of course symbolic here of seemingly insurmountable obstacles in life. And what of the repetitive thought? The thoughts that haunt and torment the individual. (The beliefs).

To those suffering with stubborn unresolvable issues, I tell you those are the ones (issues) that are not apparent (resolution), face value does not show the cause and often the lesson is inside the hard shell (a different view). Things are not always as they seem.

To find the answer sometimes one must peel away the layers of camouflage :

Should you have a problem (chronic, multiple recurring problems dealing with the same overall topic), what is it teaching you? For example in one instance you made a promise to a friend, you'd give him/her $20. But you only give them $15. Now your friend is angry, but you feel $15 is enough, and you were after all kind enough to give him something when no one else did. You are sure your right, you feel right. You gave money. You argue and call each other names and head off home in different directions both angry. You don't even want to speak to each other again.

What has happened here? Was it really the money, as outside events would suggest?

Or is the spiritual lesson here, that you broke your word. And oddly enough you find through self examination, the real truth has been found, Friendships (marriages) - relationships..are based on trust you see. You find your true beliefs that people, ie yourself, cannot be trusted, this is at the root of so many failed relationships and so forth..

And you may also find its the "root" cause of much of your nervous illness too, and its many setbacks over the years. Setbacks are felt each time you break your word, period. Never realizing the connection between trust and the illness it has caused in you in the form of physical discomfort.

The psychological issue of trust has manifested as the physical issue of stress along with the counterparts of anxious symptoms each time the core topic is tested. (trust) in real world conditions. In this case our 'ghost lion' mentioned above is the symbol of trust and what needs to be set aright.

Once the ghost is slain the figment of imagination and tag along tormenting thoughts can subside.

That is all I have today...For those with ears ready to hear.

Dude! Come on!

Ryker
11-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Great! How many times have you read me write the same thing over and over again, even getting yelled at by people here for it, until you finally got it? I told you this so many times. You just had to figure it out on your own. Now you know the whole panic thing is a total joke, right? And this site is filled with people who haven't go the joke yet.

Couldn't agree more. It's a biological and mental pie-in-the-face. We rail against people we think are telling us to "stop being stupid" but the irony comes with the fact that the fix comes only when we tell ourselves exactly that.

PanicCured
11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's a biological and mental pie-in-the-face. We rail against people we think are telling us to "stop being stupid" but the irony comes with the fact that the fix comes only when we tell ourselves exactly that.

Yeah so true! haha It is in the nature of people to be in denial. It took me a long time to finally see I was causing the panic attack to occur. The state of my nervous system was the background bu tit was me that initiated the spark. The problem is people go to doctors for help with anxiety and doctors have no idea how to treat it, because they person has to save themselves.

mtalton
11-29-2014, 09:53 PM
great advice, thanks for it.

Ambition
12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I guess the only way really to get on top of panic and anxiety and defeat it is to actually experience panic attacks, explore them and prove to yourself that they fail to deliver your worst fears. Its a bit like the Boy who cried wolf.

The first time the boy cried wolf the village panicked and ran. No wolf came
The second time the boy cried wolf they fortified the village. No wolf came
The 3rd time they were still scared but again no wolf came
The 5th time they wern't sure whether to believe the boy or not. Ago no wolf
The 10 th time they no longer believed the boy and told him to shut up !
The 11th time they just ignored the boy.

After that the boy got bored crying wolf and just quit doing it.

The same with panic attacks. Eventually they just get annoying instead of scary, then you end up,ignoring them and they quit trying to bother you.

Ryker
12-06-2014, 10:48 AM
No - not annoying - FUN!

Adrenaline junkies go jumping out of aeroplanes or from the top of skyscrapers to get the same response! They're addicted to feeling it, just like we're addicted to escaping from it. It's the two sides of the same coin. You really can turn it around and turn the fear into excitement. You really can.

I know if I go into town now on a busy day I'll feel a bit weird, I'll feel tingly and a bit of a buzz, I might have the odd shock and have to catch my breath. But I know what's going to happen. I'm reassured because I was right, I expected it, I've practiced handling it, god knows how many times, and I do my shopping, come home again and feel great!

PanicCured
12-06-2014, 11:46 AM
No - not annoying - FUN!

Adrenaline junkies go jumping out of aeroplanes or from the top of skyscrapers to get the same response! They're addicted to feeling it, just like we're addicted to escaping from it. It's the two sides of the same coin. You really can turn it around and turn the fear into excitement. You really can.

I know if I go into town now on a busy day I'll feel a bit weird, I'll feel tingly and a bit of a buzz, I might have the odd shock and have to catch my breath. But I know what's going to happen. I'm reassured because I was right, I expected it, I've practiced handling it, god knows how many times, and I do my shopping, come home again and feel great!

I know what you are trying to say, but a panic attack and the thrill of jumping out of planes isn't exactly the same. The people jumping out of planes that enjoy it, love doing it. They aren't immobilized in a corner in a panic attack miserable. It's based on adrenaline, but it isn't like motorcycle riders and sky divers are enjoying a panic attack. That is not quite the same thing.

Mike Castillo
12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
true. Losing the fear of the attack is actually the beginning of its death. I went through that path.

PanicCured
12-07-2014, 01:13 AM
true. Losing the fear of the attack is actually the beginning of its death. I went through that path.

Yeah and my own theory is that it is a retraining of the brain. Like breaking a habit. I think there is this memory of the panic attack, and at first symptoms you go "OH SHIT!" and your fear kicks it in. So your brain gets stuck on these symptoms equal panic attack. When you can relax and not do the "OH SHIT!" I think the brain gets the message these symptoms do not equal panic fight or flight mode. The more you do this, the more the brain gets the message to not react. That is how I look at it.

Mike Castillo
12-07-2014, 08:43 PM
thats where Im at right now. Trying to retrain my brain to be in the present and not fear the fear of anxiety or panic attacks. I told my self a few years ago that they are all bluff, all bark and no bite.

justbeme
01-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm fairly new to the boards and I have to say the post was very informative. I haven't had these panic attacks for long this time around. I had some about 9 years ago and they came and passed with no medication and no therapist. I know its possible to get rid of these. I have to say the ones I have now are 10x worse than the ones I had years ago. Debilitating. But I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired and want to beat these things again. I do see a therapist now, just because stressors and crises I had to deal with in the past few months. My GP gave citalopram, had it for 15 days and ready to get off of these things already. I'm done with them. I'd rather use the alprazolam on a very short term basis.

But my therapist sums up beating this thing the way you did. And I'm so ready. Scared yeah, but let's go.

poseguer
01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Thank you so much for this post. I'm kind of new to admitting to myself that I struggle with anxiety, and I haven't been able to adequately deal with it up to this point. I'll definitely try your advice the next time I feel a panic attack coming on. :)

Godzillasaurus
02-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Can't say I necessarily agree that shallow breathing is the most helpful method for me anyway (opinions are opinions), but this sounds like it could help!

PanicCured
02-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Can't say I necessarily agree that shallow breathing is the most helpful method for me anyway (opinions are opinions), but this sounds like it could help!

For one, it is not "shallow breathing", it is light and calm breathing! Don't misquote me! Also, if you understood actual scientific breathing physiology, instead of telling us your opinions, than you would know that the more you breathe the more CO2 is released which causes a whole cascade of symptoms, many which parallel anxiety. One of the main problems people with anxiety have is overbreathing and hyperventilation. Keeping the breath calm, light and relaxed is how to not offset the CO2/O2 balance and how to not trigger more panic and more adrenaline. That is not shallow breathing but simply not overbreathing. You can breathe into your abdomen and still keep it light, calm and relaxed with a nice steady flow. This technique works and you may want to understand things before chalking this off of just some guy's opinion.

Godzillasaurus
02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Thank you for providing to me such rude and insensitive remarks. This is a forum designed to help people with all kinds of anxiety issues, some of which may be suicidal and/or severely depressed, not a debate-based political board. You really need to cool it.

PanicCured
02-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Thank you for providing to me such rude and insensitive remarks. This is a forum designed to help people with all kinds of anxiety issues, some of which may be suicidal and/or severely depressed, not a debate-based political board. You really need to cool it.

So after all I posted to you that is all you got?

Mike Castillo
02-14-2015, 12:14 PM
why can we all just get along...lol

StokesM
02-25-2015, 03:49 AM
This is a great guide i have saved it to my computer. Thanks OP.

Surfside
02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I just save it to read another time when my attention span is a bit better. I didn't get chance to read all the comments, but I think there should be some way(s) to fight the panic naturally, because, I do in fact hyperventilate when I'm in extreme panic.

jpkirkpa
03-01-2015, 04:21 PM
I actually printed this initial post off and will go over it. Thank you for the tips.

winnwinn
03-01-2015, 08:12 PM
I have tried these methods over and over again and to be honest, I find they are crap, at least they are for ME. When I am having a panic attack, I am FREAKING OUT at which point I find I have absolutely positively NO control over my body, thoughts, feelings, or reactions. I'm not trying to knock this post, and I hope it does help others. I'm not a negative person, I'm a realist and just expressing my opinion.

PanicCured
03-05-2015, 12:14 AM
I have tried these methods over and over again and to be honest, I find they are crap, at least they are for ME. When I am having a panic attack, I am FREAKING OUT at which point I find I have absolutely positively NO control over my body, thoughts, feelings, or reactions. I'm not trying to knock this post, and I hope it does help others. I'm not a negative person, I'm a realist and just expressing my opinion.

Ok, let me help you. I used to have an extreme anxiety disorder in which it is now 100% gone, and many, many people have used my methods with great results so they are certainly not crap! If you allow me I can help you use these techniques and you will see how effective they are.

First off, you have to understand you have only 3 options when having a panic attack,
1) freak out as usual
2) take a drug to calm you down
3) force yourself to overcome by using a good method.

This post is for those who want option 3.

We all know this is not easy but you only have 3 choices here. We know what option 1 and 2 lead to.

It is very normal for people with anxiety disorder to want to fight any help, as having anxiety is a very personal experience, but please, give it a try.

The moment you feel it coming on sit and follow my instructions. Yes, you will want to freak out and pace around the room, call an ambulance, call a friend, go nuts, etc., but this is where the true healing comes in. You simply do not do what you always do. Is it easy? No. But life is not easy. The healing is when you focus on calm slow relaxed breathing, allowing it to pass. You may not be able to do this first try but keep trying until you do.

Nobody can help you cure your anxiety, you have to do it yourself. The great thing about it is, 100% of people with anxiety can cure themselves if they put in the time, the work and understand the process. You do have control over your body if you try. Just keep trying and report back here how it went.

You can do this!

namaste87
03-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Right now, this is what I feel: I love you all so very much. I wish you all the very best of the very best. <3

namaste87
03-13-2015, 05:03 PM
But I have to say - I do not belive that all people with anxiety can do this all by them selves. If you are suicidal you need help to get to the point to where you can get through the anxiety attacks. A couple of months ago I was nearly paralized by anxiety and was suicidal, and in that state for me it was impossible to do anything else than trying to flee. It is NOT true that "no one can help you cure your anxiety". You have to do the work yourself but sometimes you do need help.

For me it is creates a lot of guilt to hear that I can do this all by myself when I am to depressed - because when I am to depressed I simply can't, and then I get even more depressed.

I don't belive that there is one miracle cure that works for everyone always. It is true that there is no way around or away from anxiety and it is also true that it get's worse when you try to run away from it. BUT, exposure is NOT the best for everyone always. If you are very ill I do belive you need someone to guide you through it. Especially if you are suicidal.

PanicCured
03-16-2015, 03:41 AM
But I have to say - I do not belive that all people with anxiety can do this all by them selves. If you are suicidal you need help to get to the point to where you can get through the anxiety attacks. A couple of months ago I was nearly paralized by anxiety and was suicidal, and in that state for me it was impossible to do anything else than trying to flee. It is NOT true that "no one can help you cure your anxiety". You have to do the work yourself but sometimes you do need help.

For me it is creates a lot of guilt to hear that I can do this all by myself when I am to depressed - because when I am to depressed I simply can't, and then I get even more depressed.

I don't belive that there is one miracle cure that works for everyone always. It is true that there is no way around or away from anxiety and it is also true that it get's worse when you try to run away from it. BUT, exposure is NOT the best for everyone always. If you are very ill I do belive you need someone to guide you through it. Especially if you are suicidal.

I am not talking about people who are suicidal! I am talking about how to heal anxiety and stop panic attacks. I also NEVER said nobody can use help or even drugs if it applies. But if one does want to become anxiety free it will be them who does it! Who else is going to go into your body and mind and do it for you? Instead of trying to argue with me and tell me I am saying things I didn't say, why don't you just incorporate my advice. Or do you just want to continue and prove to me I am wrong and you are right?

Loyd
03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
good advice

Jmillhimes
03-22-2015, 06:01 PM
good advice

This was a great read! I've been using the meds the past few weeks and my one common mistake is I have a safe place I go and even my wife tells at me to stop that and face it! I use to think I was dying because I would check my blood pressure and seeing how high it was but in reality it was the panic attacks raising it! Now I just relax and and try to let the attack go away on it's own and realize it's just my mind playing tricks

struggling1234
05-28-2015, 09:59 PM
that was a good read!!

PanicCured
05-29-2015, 03:33 AM
This was a great read! I've been using the meds the past few weeks and my one common mistake is I have a safe place I go and even my wife tells at me to stop that and face it! I use to think I was dying because I would check my blood pressure and seeing how high it was but in reality it was the panic attacks raising it! Now I just relax and and try to let the attack go away on it's own and realize it's just my mind playing tricks

I've been where you are or even worse. The safe place and safe person are mental constructions you created. Don't buy into them!

Vincent Miller
06-04-2015, 02:42 PM
I started doing yoga 2 years ago for healing my sport injury. And it healed both body and soul! Actually we have 'secret weapons' to heal ourselves, hidden inside our body.

missedlink
07-24-2015, 11:43 AM
thanks, will try the list next time I have an attack!

philknightlife
01-06-2016, 07:53 AM
I had a bad one today. I to take some tranquilizers.

philknightlife
01-06-2016, 07:54 AM
It passed, eventually.

Brian1992
02-10-2016, 02:47 AM
My body is always tense and my shoulders are shrugged up even when I'm not having a panic attack. How do I de stress my body? I'm eating healthy and meditating but it's been weeks with no improvements?

RoderickLariviere
02-12-2016, 07:15 AM
My body is always tense and my shoulders are shrugged up even when I'm not having a panic attack. How do I de stress my body? I'm eating healthy and meditating but it's been weeks with no improvements?

Don't be scared of panic attacks, take deep breath and let it go.. This thread is awesome, follow the steps.
You will feel better.

Ransom
03-21-2016, 03:02 PM

If you are having a panic attack or you feel one coming on follow this quick guide:

1) DO NOTHING! Take a seat and stop doing everything. Droop like all your muscles just went limp. Do not attempt to do anything, except maybe drink water.

2) DO NOT OVER-BREATHE! Forget deep abdominal breathing. Breathe very slight. Let the air go into your belly if you need to, but keep it light. Keep your breath as you would breathe normally at rest doing nothing if you were not paying attention to it. Keep your breathing like you are at rest, as if your body was breathing relaxed and easy normally if you were not noticing it. Don't hyperventilate! Keep your breath at a nice calm natural state if you were calm and resting and not focusing on your breath. You do not want to breathe out too much CO2. Keep it light and easy.

3) Allow the anxiety or panic to do it's thing. Do not be scared of the anxiety. You are feeling fear. Do not be scared of fear which will add fear to the fear. Just sit back and relax and watch it like a movie. Don't add any fear, just let the current fear pass quickly.

4) Say to yourself, "This is my body's fight or flight response. Adrenaline is flowing through my body, causing horrible panic feelings. It will subside within minutes, and when it does, I will begin to feel better. I just need to allow it to metabolize, and not add anymore adrenaline and other chemicals to the mix."

5) If you are having a panic attack, do not seek a safe person or safe place. The seeking will make you feel worse. All you have to do is sit and do nothing and allow the chemicals to pass through you and metabolize. It can go away in a matter of minutes if you just sit and relax, and watch it flow by you. The symptoms are caused by passing chemicals but they will only pass if you let them. Ride it out. Let it pass. It only takes a few minutes.

After the anxiety or panic is over, either voice record or write down how horrible you felt, and how you made it through another one, and now you feel better, and next time you will make it through again. Read or listen to it when you need to.

Just imagine if you followed these steps every time. Eventually it would have less and less power and less and less effect on you. Soon, you would see the whole panic thing as a joke. Yeah, you may get anxious sometimes, we are all only human, but it just won't go into full blown panic mode because you aren't going to run around in circles searching for the exit door. You'll sit and let it pass then back to you life.

Good luck and laugh! It's a joke. It's a bluff. Don't take it all so seriously. Learn to control your body rather than have it control you. Anxiety talks a big game but it never delivers. A panic attack isn't coming close to death. You didn't survive some huge tragedy. It wasn't a near death experience. It was just bullshit all the way through, experiencing symptoms caused by chemicals released and an over active nervous system. Don't feel ashamed or feel guilty. It means nothing! Give it the middle finger and laugh your head off!

Best advice I have heard. Thank you.

James Waide
03-23-2016, 12:39 PM
I found a Natural remedy for Anxiety that really works. CBD oil is a Natural remedy for Anxiety.
A month age we found a mint breath spray that has CBD oil in it.
The great thing about CBD is has many medical benefits and no side affects.1669

James Waide
04-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I am coping with anxiety with the Natural pen. It has been a God Send.
I got tired of the "happy pills" and knew there had to be a all natural remedy for anxiety.
Try it 1681

James Waide
04-11-2016, 05:57 PM
I got tired of the "happy pills" and knew there had to be a all natural remedy for anxiety.
Try it 1682

PanicCured
07-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Try it 1682

Woah my gorgeous thread got spammed!

gypsylee
07-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Woah my gorgeous thread got spammed!

Sucks there are no admin.. It's like the Wild West of anxiety here!

J. Ans
10-14-2016, 05:45 AM
Yeah, what happened to the moderators?

NoMorePanickingNow
11-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Great advice and appreciate the share!

Marie Lends
12-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Very helpful advice. Thanks for the post.

zhoirudin
12-12-2016, 02:03 AM
hellooo, i am new here, i am from indonesia and 18 years old, i am not good in english and still learn it.. :)

Barong Baj Baj
07-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Good advice, cheers for post!

debbie23
10-27-2017, 11:47 AM
I was having so many panic attacks, especially from public speaking!!!!! I started using these things called Mantra Magnets. They're earrings you clip on that vibrate as a neuro therapy tool and reset your amygdala. I love them! They totally control my nerves during speeches!!

nathalia1011
01-23-2018, 07:49 PM
this is a great advice for everyone that we should not be panic and just focus to our self that we really need to healthy

MadHatterAbi
01-28-2018, 12:59 PM
I always try to focus on my breathing during my attacks, but usually I'm starting to panic about my panic attack and it's a vicious circle. I will try to calm down by sitting and waiting for it to pass. Maybe it is a way...

ninjamonkey1014
01-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Very helpful! Thanks

duremah
04-17-2018, 01:54 AM
Wonderful post!! That is pretty much the same thing I've learned to do to stop panic attacks also. I still get the anxiety but nothing like the PAs. Thanks for sharing, it is right on!

Abel101
04-24-2018, 12:57 AM
Informative post

Campbell smith
09-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Amazing and informative post.Thanks for sharing.

nsantanello
04-20-2020, 05:20 PM
These tips are so helpful! I have been dealing with panic attacks for years and recently started taking Alive Markets CBD oil and haven't had an attack in over a year! Has anyone else tried CBD before?

nsantanello
04-20-2020, 05:22 PM
These tips are so helpful! I have been dealing with panic attacks for years and recently started taking Alive Markets CBD oil and haven't had an attack in over a year! Has anyone else tried CBD before?

Dahila
04-20-2020, 07:04 PM
I am using CBD oil for over a year, Actually you right I had not had panic attack in a year, exclude the 19 hours I spend in airplane in constant panic. I sleep better a lot of pains are gone, The first what i had noticed was easy up my anxiety. You can not overdose on it, it does not have interaction with any medication. A lot of people take it , a lot
I take 10 mg a day , my hubby 12 mg but he had very serious accident ten years ago but it helps him to

Memaw52
11-10-2021, 08:20 AM
Thank you! I always seek comfort to stop my anxiety and yes it gets worst. It is like getting dependent every time I'm having episodes of anxiety. I'll definitely add this on my mantra

Ponder
11-10-2021, 02:05 PM
CBD is an option and it appears I fit the prerequisites to become a participant. I've also tested it briefly although not long term in the same sense that pharmaceuticals are required in order to overcome the immune system. I've discovered CBD oil is not as toxic as that. So much so I would very much like to participate. The only problem is the cost. My periods for getting loans is coming to an end as the new economic climate re Covid19 has seen our's and other peoples rents skyrocket. The cost of many other living expenses also increased as too much of the market to which I was using to stay afloat. Basically, whilst it could of been a case that I could of prioritized the required hundred/'s' of dollars over X amount pending the dose an so on. Generally they recommend an amount that is way over my budget.

It's actually quite depressing when you know just how well this avenue can be to assist so many. I beleive it's criminal. That said, what else is now. hehe. Fact is, I know it can work. Far better than taking valium derivates. Much much less toxic and in fact something for me that I consider healing. I could never say that about anything in the pharmaceuticals. That method has only ever been a last resort to extreme pain less I risk having to take something else to offset the former pills and so on. Yadda Yadda.

So for now - I do more with backyard exposure and just accept what I must. The way in which I view these things can be just as healing or detrimental. For now I am content to express it as above. The appointments to get on it can be subsidized, but not the oil itself. I'm happy for those who can get on it, but I won't see the marketing of it as is any less than criminal knowing full well that cost to production ratio.

At for now sun rays are still free. :)

salvator here
11-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I desperately need more rays and natural vit D. I do use CBD now, and its not helping very much, but you never really know the quality until you try it and I can't afford the good stuff. If my doctors had their way (again) I'd be on 20 pills like some people here that are going toxic I've spoken to. I don't have good credit actually NO credit is worse and I'm on a tight budget so I can enjoy starbucks.

chamsocsuckhoetunhien
06-22-2022, 01:40 AM
simply, you just sit down, keep your back straight (your spine straight), then focus all your awareness on your breath and soak in and out deeply (inhale and exhale). put down knitting, lower abdomen). Just like that, keep breathing rhythm for 5 to 10 minutes, you will feel stable and gentle.