PDA

View Full Version : Tools to stop the anxiety?

newhere
12-17-2006, 07:16 AM
I went through quite a stressfull period about 4 years ago. Since then I have been on and off meds like lexapro and prozac.

Now some stressfull situtations have come up again. I keep tracing everything in my head that can possibly be an outcome and focusing on the worst case scenario.

I just can't seem to control my own mind and stop it from turning everything over and over. Its exhausting.

This morning was the worst I have felt in a while.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to stop the negative self talk and the racing thoughts and anxiety?

thanks.

MrsSandraD
12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I have LOTS of tips but they have to be a daily thing - not just a one time thing:

Go outside for a brisk walk every day for at least 20 minutes....elevate your heartrate. (or YOGA is an awsome way to relax and exercise)

Write in a journal every night before going to bed.

Do not drink alcohol or caffine or pop as it will make you worse.

Eat well.

Go to bed early and rise early - try the same times every day.

Give yourself ME time - take a bath, read a good (positive) book for an hour or so each and every day.

Talk to those who understand and try not to put too much pressure on your family as they oftentimes do not know how to deal with anxiety disorders and will become frustrated (unless you KNOW they fully understand). Talk to professionals who can relate and assist you in your healing.

Keep posting here and reading others' stories - that will help you feel you are not alone.

I hope some of these tips help - it's hard to stay on the right path and sometimes I fall off and do not do the things that make me feel good but I dust myself off when I fall and get right back on again - then it's all good again. :)

newhere
12-18-2006, 09:57 AM
First, thank you. :-)

My anxiety is almost always focused on an event or potential event. I just can't seem to deal with it like others around me. It consumes me. Currently I have a potential legal (civil) issue that is looming. All those around me are just "don't worry about it", "wait and see what happens", "you have to live your life", etc. I am obsessed with it and think about it all the time.

Don't know how to stop it. I can understand dealing with anxiety that is just being felt, but when there are actual life situations that are driving them, it tears me apart.

Anyone with ideas on this?

Jeordie
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm a very obsessive kind, so I can relate. Though I use that as an excuse just not to deal with some stuff happening - I know it sounds like something you shouldn't do, but I tell myself: "I've been through all this. It's just not time for me to deal with something that seems so difficult".

You're talking about something "potential" which triggers your anxiety. Since it's potential, and not something that is really happening, you shouldn't even think about it and just face it when it comes. But I know it's difficult. You need to replace the obsessive thought with something else wich is a little better. See if there is something you have to do that you are procrastinating, even small things. See if you have something you intend to do but you don't because of laziness. You need to do stuff, not think about it. There you will use that same energy that right now consumes you.
Try something new, live every day in a new way.

Give yourself time, don't expect great improvements right way. Just small, significant steps.

newhere
12-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I know I shouldn't worry about potentials, but I do. I want to always be prepared for the worst, but thinking about it throws me into anxiety. I can already see that my weight is starting to drop slowly because my appetitite is so suppressed.

Made an appt with the MD for today to discuss other med options to get me through this.

Wish there were more people here. The support is great, but there doesn't seem to be many people here. :-(

Jeordie
12-19-2006, 09:25 AM
You can help yourself with meds if necessary, but know that an attitude adjustment is what you (we) need the most.

newhere
12-19-2006, 09:55 AM
I completely agree. I wonder about hypnosis? Really not a beliver, but would try anything at this point. No fun to battle ones own mind. Just can't seem to find a way to enjoy the moment and not let my mind run in circles starting a anxiety swarm.

Jeordie
12-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I recommend a book called Mind Over Mood. See if you can find it. It's a sort of cognitive therapy you do with yourself. It's different than doing a therapy with a therapist, but I know it helped me.

I know sometimes you feel so not...in control of anything. It's awful, awful awful awful...BUT...you just can't feel like this all the time. Accept the fact that you're like that now, and you'll remember that the next time you'll enjoy a moment. You'll smile, laugh, or feel a chill through your spine...