PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I can't breathe- Anxiety or Allergies?

Sunny Days
02-14-2012, 12:40 PM
So, this symptom has been bothering me lately. It's odd...I will be fine one minute and then I feel like I can't breathe. I've noticed it mostly when I am driving, at work (just sitting at desk), or talking to someone. When it happens I start to feel panicky. I've noticed sometimes that I'll feel I can't breathe and then eventually I'll sneeze and I'm fine again. These "episodes" seem to last about a half hour or so. Note: when I am exercising or riding my horse I do not feel like I can't breathe, I do breathe heavier ofcourse but totally different from this.

Now that being said I know I do have allergies. I live with 2 cats and I also have a horse that I keep at a local stable. The weird thing about this...is I REALLY feel like I can't breathe. This happened one time when I was driving home from work. I felt so short of breath and dizzy I thought I wouldn't make it home! I called my boyfriend on the phone and he calmed me down. Funny, the second I got home I was breathing just fine. Why is this happening? If it's not a physical problem could it be from tightening muscles due to tension or something? I know how to do deep breathing to help slow my heart rate along with shallow breathing to help with hyperventilating (as I know both can help with anxiety) but when I get like this it seems like nothing helps. It happens in really hot, humid weather too.

Sunny Days
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I wanted to add that this has gotten so ridiculous that I sometimes press my fingernail really hard for a few seconds then let go to see if I have good oxygen levels. Also, any time I go to the doctor or have been to ER with panic attacks my oxygen is 100%. But I legit feel like I can't breathe when this happens.