PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Racing Heart

Rae93
02-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Hi there,
I am new to this forum and just wanted to share something and get some opinions from other people prone to similar problems.

I am 19, female and currently at University. I've been suffering from health anxiety for years now and very recently it has taken a turn for the worst. I suffered my first panic attack back in september 2011 and since then have gained an unhealthy obsession with my heart rate. I picked up on PVCs that I would get in certain postural positions and took this to my GP in november/december time who referred me to a cardiologist. From then my cardiologist gave me a 24 hour monitor and an Echo which all came back with normal results. He basically said that these are common occurrences and I should learn to live with them.

I was just getting to terms with this and my anxiety about it all when I had an episode in January with a racing heart. I woke up in the early hours of the morning aware of my heart rate, which then increased and continued to do so. It got so fast that I phoned the ambulance and was taken into a&e by which time everything had calmed down. This has now become a common occurrence. So much so that for the past 5 mornings in a row I will wake up between the hours of 1-5 approx. Sometimes I can be in a deep sleep and will gradually come out of my dream to then be hit with a wave of anxiety, then I become aware of my heart rate and it fires off from there. It must reach around 180/190bpm because when the ambulance comes out and I have calmed slightly it is still up at about 110/20. I have had a 7day holder monitor this week which caught one episode and the results came back normal again and the team who read it said it is nothing dangerous.

Basically, what I am asking is that could this be a symptom of anxiety? It doesn't hit me during the day. It only seems to be at night when I drift off into a sleep. Given that I am a natural worrier and self-confessed hypochondriac, I find it hard to be reassured despite my cardiologist telling me that it is not dangerous and everything will be alright. I really need help because my studies have been impacted dreadfully and I am not sleeping at all at nights so it is all going round in one viscous circle.

alankay
02-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Rae, yes. It's a hallmark symptom of anxiety. Part of the flight or fight response. You should get treatment to reduce it. Start by seeing your GP about your anxiety. It would be good to break the viscous cycle. PM me any time. Alankay

Rae93
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I have been referred to see a Hypnotherapist next week, in hopes that it will help alleviate some of my focus.

What annoys me is that I have stopped panicking when this happens and yet it takes a while to calm. I'm trying to pinpoint if it's racing before I am awake or after. When I wake up and notice it increasing I stay still and focus on breathing, or if that doesn't work I will get up and try to distract myself but sometimes it just doesn't slow down. Is it still a symptom of anxiety despite me not actually being in a panicky state?

alankay
02-12-2012, 01:18 PM
You don't need to be in pure panic mode for your pulse to increase. It can increase a fair amount from just being a little anxious. If you had the echo and 24 hr holter tests and were cleared, I seriously doubt it's anything but anxiety. Mine skips beat sometimes too. Alankay

vonnhelsing
02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
hello Rae93,

The fact that you're heart rate goes down and this is something that occurs at night and doesn't happen during the day pretty much confirms that it's not an actual heart issue. It's your anxiety from being a hypochondriac. I've had health anxiety for such a long time now i think i could be a doctor. the amount of google-ing i've done in the past 4 years is insane. I've self-diagnosed my self with all kinds of illnesses. but as for most of us, it's the heart palpitations and skipped beats and chest pains that are the most scary. you need to really try and stop thinking about it. i know, easier said than done.. but it's what's causing you to have all this late night anxiety. you can go for therapy or try meds, but i'd say start off by drinking nice hot tea, preferably Chamomile tea, and trying out some yoga and meditation. Also drink PLENTY of water and get some magnesium supplements. make sure you're eating correctly cause junk food and oily foods mess with our brain. try to refrain from measuring your heart rate because anxiety does increase your heart rate so checking it all the time will just make you more anxious cause you feel like it's going too fast. you'll find that once you've relaxed it'll naturally go down. it just takes a while for the adrenaline to get washed out of our system.
relax, take it easy and take care of yourself :) x

Sunny Days
02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi there! I'm a 30 year old female, thin and in good health (to the best of my knowledge lol) and this has been the worst symptom for me. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder. I had the ekgs and wore the 24 hour heart monitor and everything came back normal. Like you, I've had the racing heart upon waking as well. Since I have learned how to slow my breathing it seems to have helped, plus I try very hard not to let it scare me or get me worked up. That feeling is the worst so I know why it makes you nervous. I don't get chest pains thank God. It's funny but since I've learned not to give it too much attention I now will have these episodes where I feel very suddenly anxious (adrenaline!) and I'll think my heart must be racing so I'll check my pulse in my neck or I'll put my hand over my heart area and it's not even beating fast at all. It's amazing how adrenaline can make us feel. Try slowing your breathing the next time it happens and take longer exhales. In through your nose and out through your nose or mouth. Taking sips of water helps me also and I've read that splashing your face with cold water may help though I've never tried it. Keep in mind that there are some normal things that can make your heart rate increase a little such as: after eating a meal (as your food digests), having to go to the bathroom, having nightmares when sleeping etc.