PDA

View Full Version : Slow heart rate, and morning anxiety.

Chiliphil1
02-08-2012, 04:56 AM
Last night I had a panic attack while lying in bed trying to go to sleep. I was sure it was a heart attack, so I got very worried, this morning I woke up and and as I always am after an attack I was very observant of what my body, especially my heart was doing, I checked my pulse and found it in the low to mid 50's, my normal rate is low to mid 60's. I have never checked my pulse and found it to be that low, so it worried me.

Another problem that I have, and I think a lot of us do is morning anxiety, it seems that as soon as I wake up it starts, sometimes it passes quickly other times it leads to worsening anxiety. When I say morning anxiety I mean feeling jittery, anxious not necessarily the kind where I'm scared of something, although as stated sometimes it leads to this.

Either way I am posting this to try and help some of us out that have these two problems and are being bothered by them as I am. When these issues were going on I broke the golden rule and I googled about it. In this case I found a perfect piece of info on yahoo answers. The question was " I have a low pulse rate when I wake up, should I be worried" the answer came from someone who listed themselves as a cardiac physician. The answer is as follows.

Not only is it normal, but it shows very well how the system operates. Sleep requires your body to just "tick over", -so very little demand for oxygen, and so the circulation is minimum. But not only is your pulse rate low but also the pressures generated by your heart drop very low too. If you measure your BP readings at the same time, you'll find they're about half your daytime maximum. Now: the interesting bit.... Upon waking and on rising to start the day, you'll usually get an (automatic) swift "Kick" of adrenaline. This boosts the pulse and makes the pressures rise quickly to make your cardiovascular system ready to spring into action. This phase last perhaps an hour or so in most cases, and gradually fades back to normality. Sometimes .. it doesn't . Then you know something's amiss -illness,. impairment, old age, cardiac failure, -... whatever. So now you can see that if you DIDN'T exhibit the symptoms you describe, THAT would be abnormal. You have no cause for concern.

so, you can see that our bodies naturally do this, our low pulse rate in the morning is normal, and the morning anxiety is also a normal thing. Reading this article helped me immensely this morning, and I truly hope it helps someone else ad well, thanks for reading.

vonnhelsing
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
yeah i have that too.. i feel anxious as soon as i wake up but it fades away or gets worse.. you just need to wake up and not check your pulse and fret about it. cause when you think about it it'll make you more anxious..
thanks for sharing that!! :)

jessed03
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Many athletes have pulses that are very low. I think Lance Armstrong's pulse was around 35 or something. His happened because his body had metabolised oxygen so much better. Yours could be because your body had had a period of rapid heart rate, burnt loads of adrenaline, and was now in a state of balance, of breathing in much less air, giving blood back to your muscles and settling down. Maybe, or it could just be a lower heart rate, as sometimes happens with everybody.

It could be for another reason, and perhaps it could tie into morning anxiety? What time of day do you eat your last meal? In the night, blood sugar can change, especially if we eat at say 7pm, and wake up at 7am. We've gone 12 hours with no food. I know if I don't eat 3 solid means, and 3 snacks throughout the day, I get, not a morning anxiety anymore, but more of a morning jitteriness. I just feel a little unsettled. As you put, shaken up, but not scared of anything. By eating getting the night meal schedule, I eliminated it by 95%.

When we're anxious we don't eat regularly, or enough and it can cause blood sugar issues. Anxiety alone can cause some fluctuation, by not rectifying it with food, it can cause issues. Especially at night, and in the morning. Does it go after eating? Are you quite thirsty on awakening? It's not in a diabetic sense, just in the way it would for everyone. For most, it isn't an issue, but always useful to be able to rule stuff out.

alankay
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I've been a runner since High School and my pulse is in the high 40's....used to be even lower years ago. Doc said it AOK as young folks, runners/bikers(athletes) often have a lower pulse than others(our pulse is slowest in the morning upon waking). He says I just need to be careful with my beta blocker which I am. Alankay

Chiliphil1
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the replys, I am 25 and I have always been athletic most of my life, I've put on some pounds but have slimmed down lately, my normal pile is very low 60's so it wasn't much of a drop. I wasvjust anxious anyway this morning so I looked it up and found this, so I posted it hoping it may help someone who worries about this. By the way my pulse goes up after I've been awake for a few minutes I just checked my pulse almost as soon as I got up. I don't think it's food related, I don't wake up hungry or thirsty, I just wake up with pain in my chest which is either from muscle pain or costochondritis I'm not sure which one, but it's a habits I am trying to break of checking my pulse and " watching" what my heart is doing because my chest hurts when I wake up.

alankay
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Could be a little stomach upset or something harmless. Heard some get that from lying down. Anxious folks often worry about the heart as it beats faster when anxious and folks think "is there a problem"? There isn't, they are just anxious. Alankay

Chiliphil1
02-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Thank you Alan, not to get into too much detail, but I do have some chest congestion and sinus congestion so I get some post nasal drip that makes me quite nauseous in the mornings, for some reason it didn't occur to me that it was causing the chest discomfort, I also have Gerd sov that most likely doesn't help.

Sunny Days
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Yep, GERD/allergy and sinus problems...all so common among anxiety sufferers! I believe there is a correlation! You are not alone. I have morning anxiety/adrenaline rushes except my heart rate increases rather then slows.