PDA

View Full Version : overwhelmed

daydreamer88
12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
whenever i'm overwhelmed in a situation it's hard for me to look people in the eye and sometimes i feel like crying, especially when i keep thinking i just can't think of the right things to say. I keep thinking if I start out right I can make friends and learn how to be more outgoing, but it feels like everbody knows each other before I know it and so far i haven't succeeded. My greatest fear is that it's too late for me to become the person I want to be since I have no idea what people talk about before class starts that isn't school related, or what kind of tv everybody watches. or what people do during the weekends. I don't want to interrupt peoples' conversation every two seconds just because I'm lost and I feel so different and alone. I want to get help but I don't want my parents to know about it because I blame them in a lot of ways and I don't know what to do. If I keep putting it off I might never get started. I wish I could talk to somebody about it without getting teary or my voice failing.

JoeBoogie
12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I went through the same thing. When I was in high school I was afraid to talk to people, yet I wanted friends so bad. I would sit in class and sometimes people would ask me what I did on the weekend. I felt embarrassed because I never had anything to say and everyone else had all kinds of stories. So I just tried to avoid people to avoid my anxious feelings. That wasn't the right thing to do for me. Finally, after staying home, never talking to anyone for so long, and being so depressed because of it, I decided to just give one kid a call. I ended up hanging out with him and a group of kids that night and we are still good friends. It was extremely difficult to make that call, and I was nervous as all get out for a long time while hanging out with them. I still experience the anxiety, but my friends understand and are there when I need them. I know what it feels like to be always about to cry and to have a failing voice. I just accepted that I was going to feel like that sometimes and forced myself to talk to kids at school. The key is finding people that are understanding and that can relate to you. It may not happen on your first try. Eventually you will find them. You'll be able to work with them to solve any problems that you run into. Just don't give up!

daydreamer88
12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Thank you JoeBoogie :)

ShutUpBrain
03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I sold my soul to be cool in highschool. Being alone is hard, but if you find just one or two friends who are good people and will listen to you then you are way ahead of any cool people. Focus on your schoolwork and become somebody.

I suffer from the exact same things as you, and if I could do it again I would have just been myself and focussed on school instead of being popular. The least popular people are oftentimes the highest quality IMO. If you get close with these people you will soon realize that you're just as good as anyone else and now you have the confidence of meeting people and having them accept you.

Seriously man, the stupid highschool social scene will look pretty silly when youre looking back on it. Most people are fascinated from TV and get their role models from TV IMO, are those the people you want to associate yourself with? I'm no expert just trying to let you know you're not alone.

Just stay alive, and realize that it's in your mind, you have the potential to do anything. And no, it's not too late. You're still in highschool aka a child. Sorry to break it to you aha. Best of luck.