PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up ESA to Dr

katielyn05
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Hello,
I have been suffering from depression and GAD for 11 years and PTSD for 8 years I am currently on medication but my doctor and I are still trying to find the right combination, so even with the medicine I am still having a lot of trouble. I believe that I meet the qualifications for being disabled because it is nearly impossible to do several major life activities (I can't sleep, I have no apatite so I have trouble eating, I can't be home alone due to panic attacks, ect...). I'm lucky that I have a good support network of people who help by making me eat three meals a day, and at least try to rotate work schedules so I am never alone. However, I feel awful that I am having to always rely on others kindness to get by. Especially when it is very inconvinent for them to be able to make sure I'm not alone. I know there employers would prefer that they didn't always have to juggle around their employees crazy roommate.

Tomorrow I am going to the doctor for another medication readjustment. I am wanting to bring up the idea of getting an emotional support animal to try and relieve some of my symptoms and relieve some of the burden of taking care of me from my roommates. I am still able to work (I work in a nursing home) and find work life to be easier than life outside of work because it is therapeutic to have others depend on me (it makes me feel like I'm actually important and needed which helps with my depression). Also we have therapy dogs who come in there that always lift my spirits.

I'm incredibly anxious about bringing this idea up to my doctor. While I want to talk about it, thinking about actually doing it has been giving me panic attacks for the last two weeks. I'm afraid he will think it is a crazy- out- of- the- box idea, that it doesn't make any sense, that he doesn't know anything about ESAs, that he won't think my anxiety or depression is severe enough, that he will refuse to listen (although I felt the same when I first brought up medication and he was wonderful about listening), or that he won't think it would help and I have gotten my hopes up on something that may make me feel better for nothing.

If anyone has any tips about how to bring this idea up to my doctor it would be really appreciated. I'm incredibly nervous.

jessed03
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I think the best advice I can give, is to write down your case for getting one. List down all of your problems with health, down in bullet point format, and that way you're sure to include everything. You can even bring it along and show it to your doctor, as when we get nervous, sometimes we over look stuff. This will give your doctor most of the picture, and they can decide accordingly. You can include how it affects your day to day life too.

They may also be able to alter medication or therapy options if need be. Or at least monitor them more closely. It sounds like you have a good doctor, that wants to do what's best :)

katielyn05
01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes, I have been in and out of therapy for nine years now.

So far I have tried...
-CBT (therapy)
-EMDR (therapy)
-talk therapy
-Art/music therapy
-yoga and meditation classes
-st johns wort
-vitamin regimines
-exercise
-cutting out stimulants
-have had my thyroid, iron, and vitamin levels checked to make sure it's not something biological

jessed03
01-29-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd include that in your list. I'm sure you're doctor doesn't need reminding, but sometimes things appear different when in black and white. It may mean he/she being more open minded in addressing new ways to tackle this, instead of the usual wash rinse repeat method they get accustomed to; of providing meds and offering therapy.

Did any of those forms of therapy have any big influence? or agree with you?

katielyn05
01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
the talk and CBT therapy was good. I honestly don't think that I could be working or have graduated without the help of my therapist. EMDR looking back on it now, I think did help with certain triggers for my PTSD, but going through it was one of the most awful experiences I have ever been through. I wouldn't recommend it.

katielyn05
01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
PTSD is from sexual and domestic abuse. I have never had a problem with allergies before. As far as I'm know I'm not allergic to anything?

alankay
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Are you against even trials of SSRI's, benzos and/or a beta blocker?? I mean if you're not doing better it's time to consider these. Alankay.

katielyn05
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm currently on zoloft and buspar. I can't do a lot of drugs because I need to be alert for my job (it involved occasionally driving a bus). So benzos are out.

Honestly, I think the PTSD has something to do with the fear of being alone, but most of my anxiety I don't think it really factors in. I agree, it seems that therapists would rather talk about traumatic events rather then the constant anxiety thoughts running through my head. the what ifs, the over whelming feeling behind just looking at the day and seeing basic tasks. My actual panic attacks are from situations feeling over whelming, too much to do, too many people around me, or no one around me, thinking laying in bed, feeling like the world is just too big and too much. It helps having other people around. It distracts me from my mind.

alankay
01-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Well talking about symptoms will help little. Talking about unresolved/remaining emotions/feelings from abuse might help. The anxiety stems from those events and is a symptom. The events, although unpleasant, should be brought out as leaving them burried might be responsible for allot of your symptoms(anxiety). It's hard to tell how much talking will help and hard to judge progress. It must be frustrating. Have you has many dose adjustments with the meds? Alankay

jessed03
01-30-2012, 04:01 AM
(I don't want to distract from the points made by the guys above me, so I'll just creep this little bit in! Let us know how everything goes katielyn05)

katielyn05
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
well the doctor doubled my zoloft and switched my buspar to kolonapin. I guess we'll see how that goes.

In terms on the ESA, apparently I didn't have to bring it up to my doctor, he ended up suggesting it before I even brought it up! I'm glad we were on the same page lol. I took my letter/prescription to my landlord and they made a copy and said they would 'investigate' it and call me back in a week. Keeping my fingers crossed!