PDA

View Full Version : OLD anti-psychotics for anxiety help

tigremycat
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I read a lot about people who don't get any relief from SSRI's for anxiety. Then I read that they're taking some of the new atypical anti-psychotics and whether they work or not it's fine, they are expensive and they haven't really worked for me. A long time ago, before it was taken off the market, I was taking a tiny dose of Mellaril for anxiety (an old class of anti-pschotics) along with Paxil (keep in mind, tiny dose!! and the ssri had to be in place for the mellaril to help). I tell ya, it was the cure all for me. Cuz I am extremely irritable and agitated (full of rage and can't deal with ANYTHING not even stubbing my toe) and ssri's can really make the agression worse. Mellaril was so dirt cheap and I was taking a third of the regular lowest dose. Okay, so now I can't get back on mellaril and holy crap what a job trying to find a safe workable solution again. (this of course, doc wanted to veer off track for me to try the likes of wellabutrin, xyprexa, resperidol, remeron) but now back on ssri, celexa, i will be trying out a similar drug to mellaril called trilafon. I am looking forward to it and I intend to take the smallest dose possible (i think it comes in 2mg and i'll be staying at 1) these things have harsh side affects and dangerous ones too. Luckily I didnt' experience even close to anything for side effects. It took the egde off completely, I didn't feel out of it or sleepy and I dealt with some stuff reasonably and rationally without freaking out. I just didn't seem to have anxiety at all anymore. i just wanted to say it's helped me a lot in the past and the smallest dose is worth the risk to stay sane at work and play for me. I wanted to share my story a bit of what's helped.