PDA

View Full Version : Watching Movies for Comfort

AnitaRelax
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Hello all,

New to the forum.

In the past couple of years I’ve taken the attitude “if I don’t want to do something then I’m not going to do it.” It worked out great…until I realized that I wasn’t doing anything beyond staying home watching movies or going to the movies by myself. I do most things by myself because even spending time with friends gives me tremendous anxiety.

I’m struggling now with the balance between pushing myself to be more social and giving in it my hermit qualities.

The great thing about movies is that I can get really invested in the characters and story, and almost trick myself into thinking I’m participating in life. . . then I step back and realize that’s unhealthy. Does anyone else do that?

Does anyone have thoughts on how to strike the balance?

Anita Relax
filmfeelings.blogspot.com

jessed03
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I used to do this a lot. In fact, I still do. Movies, like you said are a good way to get out of your head, and into another world or situation.

For me, I had to schedule times like that, that I would let everything go, and have release. I'd usually decide at the start of the week, two dates in which I could let go. Usually Friday/Saturday if I didn't want to go out. Sometimes, if I had a big day, I would choose the night of it.

It gave me something else to focus on. I would get that tub of ice cream, some popcorn (yeah, I was a real fatty!) and whack on a movie I really wanted to see.

Once I'd made those 2 dates though, the rest of the week was serious, and for business. It didn't mean I had to go Gung-Ho on myself, and be my worst enemy, but it did mean I had to push myself slightly, and attempt things.

I think having a few 'rewarding' experiences is a good way to increase your tolerance to things. If myexperience didn't go to plan, and I had a bad day, who cares, I as about to let it go, and would forget it on the way home when getting my favourite snacks.

I think it could benefit you to do something similar. Not necessarily with movies, but anything you enjoy. Use it as a reward for pushing yourself slightly, or achieving something. Even if things don't go to plan, or what you achieve is only small, you were still out there on the 'battlefield' putting the time and effort in, and the character to do that alone should be something you can pat yourself on the back for.