PDA

View Full Version : is this really weird?

sarah_jayne
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I get ridiculously attached to characters in tv programs and movies. This is usually a relationship between two characters, and if something bad happens between them then it can send me into a depressive episode that can last for hours. Just thinking about it can make me start physically shaking. Is this really weird? It makes me feel pathetic because it means i have to avoid some programs or films due to this - when fiction has this much control on my emotional state it cannot be 'normal'. It gets so tiring at times, having depression and anxiety. I have few friends- just through life (my uni friends moved back home, which are all over the country) and my studying and prospective career are tough and hard-going. I used to self-harm, but my mum found out one day, and the look on her face...i can't ever put her through that again. I didn't even know it was odd or unusual before then to be honest. I am ridiculously connected to Mum too. I can handle her going to work, and i don't have to follow her around or anything, but i can't stand being away from her overnight. I had to fly back from Russia where iw as on a schoo trip after less than 24 hours it was that bad. She has depression and anxiety too which is usually controlled, but at times she breaks down, and i have to look after her. The rest of my family are too young or too sellf-absorbed to deal with it. The pressure then is immense. I don't want to feel like this anymore -i don't live, i survive. What did i do in a past life to make someone hate me so much? I have a support group meeting tomorrow, the first one, and i'm terrified. I want someone to come with me, but Dad's working and Mum is taking my sister to her exam, so i have to go alone. I always feel alone.

Clueless
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Awe Sarah, it's okay, you're not alone. I don't think it's weird to become attached to characters at all, infact I would say it's "normal" when you read/watch about a character and the character's life is played out infront of you, it can be devestating, the fact you do get upset and cry at times over it is reasonable, considering you deal with depression, your emotions are just heightened and any number of things could make you cry. It was heart-warming to hear about your mother though, instead of feeling pressure in that you must take care of her- think of her as your best friend, you both have the same dilemma and will always have someone there who knows and cares. As for the support group meeting- you can post your stresses on here before coming, and/or how it went after.

caera
01-19-2012, 04:38 AM
When you are a regular viewer of any soap-opera, then you feel attachment with the character of that particular serial. It is normal thing not a weird one. It happens because you take that character seriously or connect that character with a real person of your life.