PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia or Generalised Anxiety Disorder?

Anselm
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Dear All,

I'm new to this forum and I've found the forum very helpful in terms of identification with some of what people have posted.

In 2004 I was involved in an horrific car crash and was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ( PTSD) and again in 2006 my life was seriously threatened in a dangerous country abroad so another bout of PTSD.

Since then my anxiety, I grade it between 1-10, hovers between 7 to 9, 10 being a panic attack which I avoid with breathing exercises. Anyway the needle seems stuck. But anyway to cope with the anxiety I initially self medicated with alcohol to dangerous degrees. I know this was bad and I know that anxiety gets worse with alcohol. But I have now sobered up and my psychiatrist has diagnosed me with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. But... just some examples...

I have started a PhD at University as I can't return to my old job which is considered to rank as one of the most stressful. When in lectures I make sure I'm close to the door so I can leave and sometimes I just sit there feeling fearful and not taking in what the lecturer is saying.

I dropped my sister off at the airport yesterday and I was stress level 9 for the whole journey back ( my accident was on a motorway/ freeway, the same one I had the accident on.)

I was invited to a fantastic restaurant with a group of friends. I went but could only have a couple of mouthfuls as I was so anxious.

I have a constant feeling I am going to have a seizure. Why a seizure I don't know. In public or sometimes on my own at home. I KNOW I AM NOT THINKING RATIONALLY AND YET THE ANXIETY IS THERE. SO ANNOYING!!!

What really annoys me is that I'd like to think I have a small brain on me and I know I'm being completely insane. I have the feeling of anxiety first THEN I think of something stupid to worry about. Take the seizure worry. I'm 39 and have a full medical and I'm in good shape. Its insane.

I could go on. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow. Do you think agrophobia is synonymous with generalised anxiety disorder? Also have anti depressants helped anyone here?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

M

alankay
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Anselm, no agoraphobia is different than GAD. GAD used to be called Free Floating Anxiety. It's not so much attached to anything/place/situation in particular but rears it's ugly head where ever, when ever. It always kind always "there". Less or more.
Phobias are specific anxiety/panic to a object, place or situation.
Social Anxiety is anxiety provoked by events where one may be observed and judged which is feared by others and often public speaking, performing in front of an audience are common fears that illicit high anxiety.
Agoraphobia is fear of open spaces, crowds, malls, etc. Often this leads to being housebound but is not as common as some of the other anxiety issues/disorders. Early treatment can stop that from happening anyway.
Anticipatory Anxiety is the anxiety you get from thinking/worrying about an upcoming event/situation that causes you anxiety in anticipation of it. The event is never as bad as the anxiety before hand but it can be a pain as it can lead you to avoid stuff which is not good.
Antidepressants(AD's) have helped me and others. It increases serotonin between nerve cells by slowing the reuptake by the receiving nerve cell and low serotonin is believed to cause dysfunction(not working properly:() of other neurotransmitters namely norephinepherine(Adrenaline, bad) and GABA(a calming neurotransmitter, good), sort of a "master regulator" of the neurotransmitters and why we get anxious. They think.
They take time to work(2-4 weeks) and can worsen anxiety at first so are often are taken at low dosages and tapered up slowly. They should be tried no doubt for anxiety/panic, depression, OCD sometimes PTSD as well as other things.
So GAD is not agoraphobia.
AD's can help but not everyone gets the same results.
Anxiety types can also overlap a bit. Although I have panic disorder, I also have a touch of Social Anxiety, Just the way it is. Variation of the same core issue-Anxiety. Alankay.