PDA

View Full Version : Something To Know About Anxiety !!

Razzle
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I was asked to write this by the owner of another Anxiety support forum I participate in - I wanted to share it !!

This is complex neurobiology but I will try to do a simple review. While the human brain is made up of many complex parts it can be divided into two distinct functions. The primitive brain (limbic system) which has the fear centers and the emotional/arousal centers and the later developing cortex. The cortex has many functions but for this example it is the rational thinking part of the brain.

For our preservation the primitive part of the brain can "Wire Around" the more "Adult" rational cortical brain to give us immediate protection. When you see a brown stick on the trail the primitive brain can jump to a conclusion that it is a threat but the cortex can also settle it down by saying it has no eyes, it is not moving and it does not look like any snake I have seen....but it does look like a stick. So the amygdala stands down and the fight or flight reaction settles back to normal.

If you have an anxiety disorder this wire around has been triggered hundreds to thousands of times. This usually starts in childhood and we have literally built a neuro-pathway to fear as a first response. If we are in a severe anxiety state and have a long term anxiety trait our cortex can be almost shut down under threat- we cant see the reality of any threat and our primitive brain has become so adapt at eliciting fear that it screams at a pimple being cancer.

Humans do not have a fully developed cortex until around age 25. When a child has fear the primary response is not to reason it out (they cant) but to engage the primitive brain for protection. This is where negative thinking begins and the neuro-pathways to automatic fear.....it is called the Hebbian Response.

The more the threats set off the HPA axis the more the amygdala takes control of thought processes and the more simple stimuli become interpreted as a threat. In an extreme anxiety state even a coffee cup newly placed on a table can elicit a fear response. Any novel stimulus can be seen by the amygdala as a threat. This process has kept humans at the top of the food chain since creation. Unfortunately it can get out of control and we have severe anxiety and nervous illness suffering.

Anxiety drugs can shut off the warning lights but the car is still running out of oil. The primitive brain is not "rewired" by a process called learned extinction and all anxiety medications have an adverse effect on cortical functions that can make it harder to shut down the limbic response. The also do not teach us critical anxiety tools - retrain the respiratory centers for proper breathing or provide the critical endogenous (internal sense) of control. As long as we feel like we must find safety in externals ( a hospital - safe person - medication etc.) we will keep an anxiety state alive.

Couple this learned behavior of a "Hair Trigger" limbic system with the known fact that children who encounter stress have lowered GABA response (the neurotransmitter for calming the nervous system) for a lifetime we have work to do to retrain this system....and we have to live a lifestyle that honors our genetic and environmentally learned sensitivities.

When I had my first panic attack at age 19 eons ago doctors were stumped as to what was wrong with me. Now we have great knowledge and protocols that are non-drug ways to retrain the nervous system. We also have ways to connect with and share support and knowledge with other people on the journey to anxiety recovery. This is so critical to building a safety net to reduce the fear response.

Anxiety is not a disease or a genetic defect. It is one part inborn sensitivity - 80% learned maladaptive behaviors and the rest not taking good care of ourselves or enduing too much stress for our sensitive constitutions.

NotSoMellowMel
01-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Anxiety drugs can shut off the warning lights but the car is still running out of oil. The primitive brain is not "rewired" by a process called learned extinction and all anxiety medications have an adverse effect on cortical functions that can make it harder to shut down the limbic response. The also do not teach us critical anxiety tools - retrain the respiratory centers for proper breathing or provide the critical endogenous (internal sense) of control. As long as we feel like we must find safety in externals ( a hospital - safe person - medication etc.) we will keep an anxiety state alive.

Okay, I agree... but then what is your advice when you are at a point where it literally has you paralyzed from performing your day to day activities?

Razzle
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Mellow

Why dont you post a bit about your story - how you are now etc

jessed03
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
By anti-anxiety meds, you're referring specifically to Benzo's right?... I think anti-depressants are a different mater entirely, so I take it you aren't including them in you're article.

I think it's a good post, but as we know, theory and practicality are in different ball parks. Yes a theory looks nice on paper, and has sound reasoning, but to apply it to a practical situation is another matter entirely. I always take psychological theory with a pinch of salt. Yes it's advanced, but psychiatry has changed it's mind every decade since the dawn of time. We may be getting closer to finding answers, or maybe nowhere at all. Every generation believed they found 'the answers'. Many therapists will tell their patients anxiety MAY be caused by altered amygdala function, but the research isn't THAT conclusive, and the research that is, surprise surprise, coincides exactly with a drug that said company have patented and are awaiting approval for.

We have no real evidence depression has anything to do with Serotonin, we simply assume so, because we fluked it and found a treatment that worked. The problem with psychiatric research is how incredibly biased it is, and anything that isn't favourable is swept under the carpet, never to be seen again. That's not to say I don't believe the research coming out, as I do, the reasoning is sound, and it seems much closer to the mark than anything medicine has proposed before it. I just don't see how it changes anything. People don't want to suffer. People can't bear too much suffering. We all know that putting a plan into action to live healthily in every area of your life will improve your symptoms by 80%. But this takes years. Even the most seasoned of meditators take 5-10 years to be able to endure extensive suffering. It takes several months to rectify deficiencies properly, it takes years for lasting cognitive patterns to cement and several months to a year to retrain breathing, and the truth of it all, is can you really do all that in state of high arousal? I really don't think so. Not very effectively anyway. No matter how appealing they sound. Try doing breathing exercises while travelling 100mph.

So where does this leave the anxiety sufferer. The sufferer who doesn't know how to make it through the day, let alone the year. We are programmed to avoid pain, by almost whatever means possible. Anxiety recovery, for most people, seems to be damage limitation. It's funny how doctors never refer to a mental illness as cured. They will cure everything else, but mental illness will always only ever be 'In Remission'. I don't believe everybody has the choice to go a non-drug root. I just don't. No matter how much people submit to a healthy lifestyle, some anxiety is just too severe. The damage has already been done. Then the priority has to be firstly to stop the rot, or the person simply won't last very long. Whether that means drugs or otherwise.

This isn't a criticism of your article, I think it's a very up to date and relevant piece of text. My post is more towards addressing that middle ground anxiety sufferers often fall into, and get lost in. It's also a post highlighting how vulnerable we all really are in our lives, how fragile and truly microscopic the balance of everything is. How easily the equilibrium can be upset, even if we do everything right. We're never in control of our lives really are we. Maybe for short periods, but curveballs will always come out of nowhere. What sane person wouldn't feel anxiety when faced with that truth lol :)

EDIT: It is reassuring to know that there is now more evidence supporting 'holistic' methods that in the past were overlooked. If you suffered nerves in the past you'd simply get your tub of valium and be on your way. It's good to know there are now more options being taken seriouslyby medicine.

ThePhoenix
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
I agree with the original post by and large. I have read a fair bit about anxiety and its root causes and development in people. That said, I also dont believe it is purely developed in childhood but can develop at any period of life given the right circumstances. Personally I always found it beneficial to really understand anxiety as a method of trying to beat it.

Razzle
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Up until I took a benzo my anxiety was workable. I went to college 7 years - had executive jobs and traveled. It was a nuisance and seldom more than that. Then years ago I had a pile of stress hit me with multiple family deaths. I had to keep going so I succumbed to the myth of anxiety drugs. When benzos stopped working it took me years to go through the withdrawal and recover.

My anxiety that had always been a 2 or 3 at the worst was now a 7 or 8 daily. Many more years of coping and another huge load of stress and I took an antidepressant. Just a few doses and my nervous system was on the roof. Now 19 month later my anxiety has been at a 10 every single second - thanks to anxiety drugs and the trauma of them.

So now I have to recover from my worst anxiety EVER and I cant/wont use drugs. When you are this screwed up it is hard to find any crack in the doorway to get a foothold and start to recover

AsktheAges
01-06-2012, 04:30 AM
all anxiety medications have an adverse effect on cortical functions that can make it harder to shut down the limbic response.

Is this true of Buspar?

jon mike
01-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Never had any Anxiety drugs, anxiety is a normal part of human life, just needs control and understanding most of the time with me

parlyvous
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Jon, anxiety is a "normal part of life" BUT for some Anxiety IS their life and some intervention is needed.

Yep would rather find a more natural way to control it, via supplements such as Theanine, Magnesium, GABA, Inositol and breathing exercises.

Many here know how anxiety can pick you up and run away with you, making every day/night miserable. It denies you the freedom to go on about your daily activities of life like keeping a job, interacting with others and manifestation of physical problems.

We can't just brush Anxiety off as a "normal part of life" if it never turns off. It is part of the flight or fight response, but as others have stated the switch to control it is seemingly broken and intervention is needed.

this I know from my own experience.