PDA

View Full Version : newcomer

balletdancer
12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Hii I an new to the forum. I suffer from GAD. Most of my anxiety comes in the form of medical worries and worries that something horrible is always going to happen. I do not have any support from my husband or sons who I do the worrying about. They find my behavior very annoying and love to poke fun of my attacks. I hope to be able to find people who understand my problems and that I can find support in. Thank you

alankay
12-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Well that's not funny but welcome nonetheless. I hope you find help here. Alan.

balletdancer
12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
thank you I hope to find support

alankay
12-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Are you getting any king of treatment?? SSRI, counselor, etc?

balletdancer
12-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Well,I was on Zoloft for 5 years, went off then went back on and recently have tapered way down. The weight gain with Zoloft is terrible for me. I use Xanax when needed, but am terrified of doctors so will run out soon. I did see a counselor for about 8 months. I just did not it helped a ton, she said it was normal to worry...not like I worry it is not normal. So I continue on the way I am with a family that does not understand at all. Thanks for listening.

alankay
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Maybe celexa or fluoxetine would not cause the weight gain(neither did for me). Zoloft made me hungry all the time. I use valium for tough spots(air trips, dental appts., tough meetings at work, etc). Well you need to find a doc you can be comfortable with. A good one will understand. So you don't have a good relationship with the doc who prescribed zoloft/xanax? I guess a change is needed then. I'm very sorry your family feels/acts this way. I'm sure if you had epilepsy or something they'd believe you. We who walk with anxiety know it's not a made up condition and I know it's very common. About 12% of patients has some form of anxiety in a General Practitioners practice. I don't know how well I'd handle someone making fun of the anxiety I have felt. It has been under control for a while bit I remember it allllll too well. Hang in there and stay in touch. Alan.

balletdancer
12-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks-i am so scared of doctors that I avoid going to them at all costs, just thinking about it raises the anxiety that they will find something horribly wrong. Yes it is very difficult living with a family that just can not understand what anxiety is and what it does to you. i have used that analogy that if I had diabetes or something like that would you still treat me this way??? They do not get it. I was desperate tonight, having huge anxiety attack and decided to join this forum to see if there are really others out there that live life the way I do, looks like there are. Currently my 19 year old college student is out with friends and of course i worry that something terrible will happen and will not be able to sleep and if I say something to my husband about it I am totally shut down. Thanks for listening I hope there are others on here that experience life the way i do