PDA

View Full Version : POST: Carbon Dioxide - Breathing & Anxiety

Razzle
12-25-2011, 05:01 PM
A while back a member posted on doing breathing retraining and CO2. I am researching this and would like to talk to the person. PLEASE PM me.

Thanks

jessed03
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Research the Buteyko Method. You'll probably have to buy a book, but as far as retraining goes it's the best I think. They aren't expensive, Amazon stock them. Credit to PC for recommending it.

What I would suggest though, is the method can cause severe agitation for a while, as I found (and I'm relaxed now) while your body detoxes. I know you suffer badly from this. You could try going very slowly, but it may see it drag out. you may want to address other issues before you tackle this. It could make things worse regarding agitation. Just my 2 cents.

PanicCured
12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
With Buteyko, I don't remember experiencing any agitation. But I think you may have not done it correctly maybe. The key is relaxing into it, not forcing the reduced breathing. You need a book, a teacher or read a very thorough website about the subject.

jessed03
12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
With Buteyko, I don't remember experiencing any agitation. But I think you may have not done it correctly maybe. The key is relaxing into it, not forcing the reduced breathing. You need a book, a teacher or read a very thorough website about the subject.

In the book Close your Mouth; it is regularly explained by Mr McKeown, if you have read the page regarding side effects (Chpt 3) that increases in restlessness, anxiety, irritability, and agitation are common when beginning, and when the CP moves through 10, 20 and 40. They can also be more common than this, and can occur at various stages in practice, such as 2,4,6 times your initial CP. This is a lot of the journey, not some mere start up effect. It isn't the process itself that causes the problems, but the change in body balance.

It seems cleansing reactions would also far worsen Razzle's case of insomnia, and nausea. Patrick himself even deters those in the midst of anxiety from using most of the exercises, and merely suggests nose breathing for the time being, with a slight part of reduced breathing to be added later. It's once anxiety is under control the book can be followed more thoroughly. From what I've read, it's also very common to suffer cleansing reactions.

Perhaps your case just wasn't that bad, or you were a lucky one.

A good book by all means, and a useful tool, but not the place I would begin when suffering severe agitation myself.

PanicCured
12-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Any type of real healing one does can, in some cases but not most, cause your symptoms to get worse before it gets better. If this does happen, then it is most likely a sign that you are on the right track. Either that or you are doing something wrong. If this is the normal stage of one's healing, then that's just how it goes. What are you going to do? Never get better? Obviously it would be something you would just have to get through.

Buteyko is most likely healthy for anyone to practice, but I believe this is geared towards people who have an overbreathing problem. If someone doesn't overbreathe but has anxiety, it may not be what's needed. Although, I don't think it's possible to live in this society without overbreathing. I'm not sure.

After Close Your Mouth, Patrick wrote a book geared towards anxiety sufferers rather than asthma called Anxiety Free: Stop Worrying and Quieten Your Mind.

But there is nothing wrong with taking things slow. All that matters is one initiates the healing process and moves towards the goal of long lasting healing and little by little they will find their way. The problem is when people don't do anything or even know there is a way out, and just depend on doctor's to get them better via medication, without doing anything to better themselves. Rather than taking medication in the meantime, while healing themselves long term to eventually be off medication.