PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

Nicky T
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi I am new to this forum and just glad to have found it . I have a question. I was put on alprazolam for 2 weeks and I took the last dose in about the first week in December. Does anyone knows how long my withdrawal symptoms will last like how I was on it for only 2 weeks and have anyone ever heard about 100% natural pill called Tranquilene? How long do these medictaions last in our system? Does it depend on how long you took it for?

alankay
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Alprazolam has a half life of about 11 hours. If you had had withdrawal you would have seen it already. If you were on a fairly low dose, you probably would not get withdrawal. You need to take more and for longer to get real withdrawal. Don't believe all you read online about benzo's. Just use the minimum and educate yourself on reducing anxiety and understanding it. I don't know about Tranquilene.
I've used benzos since 1981(now valium only 1-2 times per month max) and never had any kind of withdrawal. That's because I never took too much for too long. The bad stories you might read about are mostly folks who used too much too long from a doc who didn't know better I guess.

Nicky T
12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi alankay, thanks for your response. I took .25mg twice a day for the 2 weeks straight. I am already having withdrawal symptoms as I have suddenly started having a racing heartbeat, nervousnessa and constantly feeling jittery. I now have difficulty sleeping as my heart is constantly racing. I never has these symptoms before. All I had was a prolonged breathing problem. It was never accompanied with panic or anxiety. When I am having this breathing problem I am still able to function normally. No one is able to tell I am having it unless I tell them and my doctor said I have anxiety disorder and put me on the pills without telling me what they were for. She also said I had asthma and allergies. I don't want to go back on any pills as it can be addictive.

alankay
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
So you weren't anxious before getting the alprazolam? How did you feel when on it? Could be anxiety just showing after the med leaving. I would be kind of shocked for you to have withdrawals after that small dose. It could more a pure psychological deal thinking about it too much. That dose is enough to reduce some anxiety but to cause actual withdrawal...I doubt it. But.. because all patients are different, you could be having a bit of, let's call it, a discontinuation issue but again, from that dose, it that were the case should pass right quick. Really that's a small dose. No I'm not a true expert but have used benzos since 1981 and am sure you need to take a higher dose for longer, in general, to have a problem. The doc would not likely give you that unless he felt quite strongly you were having some anxiety. Just my opinion though.

Nicky T
12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi alankay, I was never anxious before the alprazolam. I never really felt any different because I just had a slow prolonged breathing problem. My breathing problem was never panicky, fast or hyperventilating. It was always just slow and felt as if I wasn't getting enough hair. At times I might bend over to brush my teeth and felt as if I wasn't getting enough air and once I stood up straight I was able to breathe again. At times if I sit and bend over I feel as if I wasn't getting enough air and once I sat upright I was okay. I want to if it is ever possible for someone to get a panic attack or anxiety attack and not know it. I have been anxious about things before like when I hear bad news my body feels weak, nervous and sweaty. Which I know is normal as it is reacting to what I just heard. But in terms of suffering from a panic disorder or anxiety disorder I just think she misdiagnosed me. I went to her for my breathing problem and sge said I have asthma. I was also very stuffy from my allergies, so my nose was constantly dry and stuffy and then I was having the breathing issue. Because of my stuffiness and my inability to breathe, I was also unable to sleep as whenever I tried lying down it was just impossible. She said my nervous system must have been affected when I couldn't sleep and she would give me some pills to repair my nerves. I live, in Jamaica, and while I'm not knocking our doctors, it is so hard to find a good one. If u go to 3 different doctors they tell u 3 different things. I read that even the lowest dose of alprazolam for 2 weeks can be addictive. I also have terrible acid reflux caused by my horrible eating habits. I was to test for GERD but never did. Thanks for your response.

alankay
12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Anxiety has many possible symptoms. The list below is from WebMD.

Symptoms vary depending on the type of anxiety disorder, but general symptoms include:

Feelings of panic, fear, and uneasiness
Uncontrollable, obsessive thoughts
Repeated thoughts or flashbacks of traumatic experiences
Nightmares
Ritualistic behaviors, such as repeated hand washing
Problems sleeping
Cold or sweaty hands and/or feet
Shortness of breath
Palpitations
An inability to be still and calm
Dry mouth
Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Nausea
Muscle tension
Dizziness

Gastro reflux can sometimes cause difficulty breathing. See link below.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/gastrooesophagealreflux.htm

You just might have GERD so get tested for it.

Do live near one of these medical schools?

American Institute of Medical Sciences
University of the West Indies Faculty of Medicine (Mona)

Maybe you can get an appt of one their outpatient clinics. Often professors supervise such appts. Just an idea.

Nicky T
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the info Alankay, I really appreciate it :). Have a good day.

Nicky T
12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your response Forwells I really appreciate it too.Enjoy the rest of your day :).

Nicky T
12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi Forwells, how long did your symptoms last with the benzos? The alprazolam seemed to have really messed with my nervous system.