PDA

View Full Version : What places or people trigger your anxiety most/least?

shoe
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
I thought I'd start off with a simple post to generate some interest.. so, the question is:

What are the worst and 'best' places for you anxiety-wise? Or, who do you most fear vs. who you can be most comfortable with?

Also, what other types of things trigger your anxiety?
(things such as changes in your physiology (like when your heartrate goes up after joggin etc) or hypochondria, existential anxiety, and so on.)

Okay, theres the question and here's my answer:

Since I'm a social anxiety disorder sufferer, of course social situations trigger my anxiety. So, starting at the top - the worst is performing/speaking in front of a group of people. That just sends my anxiety skyhigh and I usually have panic attacks as a result. :(

Second worst would have to be very attractive women. I just get all discombobulated and my anxiety gets worse and worse the more of an a$$ I make of myself :P

Safest people for me are family of course, although they trigger anxiety as well. It's only when I'm alone at my own apt that I am most comfortable.

Ok, who's next? ;)

-dan

norvok
06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't really think I have one single place where I feel completely at ease, unless home counts as that place :wink: Btw. I'm a social anxiety sufferer.

Public speaking tops my list, and only going to stores comes close.
The second worst anxiety provoking place would have to be retail stories including supermarkets. Malls top the list for places of that type, because there's usually 10x the number of people in the mall than in the supermarket.

Im not sure if really know what type of person sets off my anxiety, because it just really depends on how I feel about the person. You'd think people of authority would set off my anxiety, but I can be just as calm and at ease when I'm pulled over by a police officer.

-
There's always a prize at the end of the rope.

jerseygirl
06-22-2005, 12:33 PM
for me its more like situations that make me nervous like driving alone, walking around a mall or a large area, being far from home, far from my car and mainly talking to people. I have a hard time dealing with the symtoms of anxiety but i just try and talk myself thru it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they get thru their anxious situations? I'm sure we all could use some pointers :D

AnnaBanana

kaileen
06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
for me actually the place i feel most anxiety is at home, i guess its because i have so much stuff to do and going on there. when im out of the house i feel less pressure, i especially like doing anything active and fun with family which can pull my mind away from all these worries. it never lasts, but is a nice escape

desperateDave
07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
shoey,

i had the worst anxiety at the job i was at. Facing customers in groups makes me so nervous and i cant handle it for long. attractive girls give me anxiety too, but one on one with people im not so bad. Family is also a safe spot for me

dave

haroldnmaude422
07-05-2005, 01:42 AM
i tend to get really freaked out when driving with people..i always have to be the one to drive..that way i can leave early..or if i need to apologise while flipping a complete u~turn in the middle of traffic and race home..driving is a way to get me out of the house..it gives me a sense of control..so its alittle tool...if i can drive myself i have a good chance of going. when i dont drive..panic attacks almost always happen..it starts with this metalic taste i get in my mouth..then the stomach cramping..all the deep breathing exercises in the world dont help that..and then i quietly explode..and it kills me how no one ever notices it..untill i usually scream..i have to leave now!
malls kill me,driving into the city(i feel so trapped) and far from home...waiting in large lines..like at the dmv..i almost always have to go back 3 or 4 times...so many places freak me out..but for me its more of things that trigger me..more than the places themselves..
as for comfort..eh'...being in bed..does that count?
also bathrooms..bathrooms are my temple..i have found more peace and quiet locked inside public and private bathrooms than i could count..and im greatfull for them,,...

Gittery
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Im new to the forum, I have anxiety and panic disorder, leaving my home at any time is a trigger, Im on medication and we are still adjusting the dosages I have had this disorder for 7 years. Sometimes it seems loike a uphill battle. I find if Im in a bad situation and my grandkids are near by I will pick up one of the babiies and try to distract myself. I find If I let the panic esculate there is no return and I withdraw from the situation, the old fight or flight routine I always chose flight. Im sorry their is other people who suffer from this but its also nice to have someone to share problems and triumphs with :roll:

shoe
07-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Gittery, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have agoraphobia, definitely a debilitating disorder. Sorry things are so tough.. anxiety sure doesn't come when we are 'ready' for it, does it :? hopefully you have a loving family that supports you

edwina
08-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I would have to say crowded/public places triggers my anxiety most frequently. Other triggers are places where I am expected to act as the "old" me, prior to my depression/GAD, especially work since I work with the public.

Quinn
08-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Stop lights, long car rides, stores, waiting...I actually don't even know if I still have anxiety problems. It's been over 2 years since I've been more than 3 minutes away from home. I haven't been to a convenience store since December of last year. I honestly just feel too drained to even try.

shoe
08-08-2005, 09:26 AM
My anxiety actually carries into the car too, usually if other people can acually see me - like at stop lights or in heavy traffic or yikes if I screw up somehow on the road. While the car is in motion I usually don't feel it so bad because nobody is really lookin at me.

Quinn
08-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I forgot one. Fatigue. If I'm out when I'm tired enough to sleep it's like a kick in the chest. Everything gets hot and hard to breathe. I feel extremely vulnerable when I get tired, like I'm losing control of my functions.

klb
08-12-2005, 06:11 PM
for me its more like situations that make me nervous like driving alone, walking around a mall or a large area, being far from home, far from my car and mainly talking to people. I have a hard time dealing with the symtoms of anxiety but i just try and talk myself thru it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they get thru their anxious situations? I'm sure we all could use some pointers :D

AnnaBanana
I have the same exact feelings as you in your listed above things that make you anxious..

anangel4me
08-25-2005, 08:27 PM
good evening everyone. i would have to say what triggers my anxiety is going into the supermarket or to a restaurant. i don't go to the mall so i don't worry about that. our mall is not exciting anyway....lol.

anangel4me
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
and i forgot another trigger here which i myself get anxious speaking in front of a small crowd. or if i'm in a meeting and they ask me a question and all eyes are on me. i feel really closed in when that happens.

youresomodest
09-10-2005, 08:57 PM
This is my first post... and one of my triggers is just an apartment over.

I started developing anxiety in college and graduate school. Extreme anxiety and panic attacks from the stress and overwhelming workload... along with feeling like I didn't really belong or deserve to be there. I met some wonderful people there and actually I now live in a 4-plex where everybody in the house is a musician/music major.

Well, tonight they're having a party across the hall and I just want to sit in my quiet apartment and not be over there. The idea of walking in to the party terrifies me. I know most of the people but the thought of being there makes me feel about on the verge of tears.

But I'm not that way around people I'm comfortable with. In small gatherings of three or four people, I'm fine--even outgoing. I like to grab the attention of my friends and those around me even tell me I make good impressions in public. I seem confident, extroverted, and confident.

Until there's a party next door.

It also tends to happen when I'm in crowded public places, like shopping (especially during the Holidays... oh my). If I walk in and I'm suddenly surrounded by people, I feel panicked and I have to find the first exit. Even if I've been searching for something in the store and I see it or *know for a fact* that it's there, I'll leave. Immediately. I can't make it to the door fast enough.

Strangely enough, being a pianist, I have been told I have riveting stage presence. Those nerves are normal... but I'd almost rather get on stage and play my graduate recital again than go next door and hang out with people I sat next to in my classes for two years. I've always been able to speak in public and communicate efficiently. It's just the social gatherings that I can't handle.

ladybug
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
The worst place for my anxiety is any unknown place for example a new gym. I have to go in and not know where anything is and walk around like a dummy! It is so embarrising that it can keep me from even going to work out. I was also a flight attendant for a while and it was fine until I got to my hotel and had to go get food or talk to the front desk. I would stay in my room or quietly sneak to the vending machine.
The safest place is my mother's house. I have a place of my own, but it doesn't feel as good as my mom's.
I fear athority, not necessarily cops or the President, but a boss or professor anyone who can make my future happen, I recently needed my Uncle to help me with a job, and I had to reherse my words before I called, when I finally got on the phone I was sweating and felt small. I get along fine with my uncle, but when it is situations like that I feel helpless. :oops:
I have a great group of girl friends and a wonderful boyfriend, and most of my family I feel comfortable around.

brickyard_red
09-19-2005, 08:03 AM
If I am doing anything by myself and don't have my husband or my mom with me I always feel anxious. I feel absolutely panicy if I have to go somewhere by myself while I am driving. I am scared to death that I am going to make a mistake and do something wrong and everything will be my fault!

I keep myself out of situations where I am in front of anyone talking, but if heaven forbid, I do end up in the situation, you can find me in the bathroom throwing up. I've actaully had my knees buckle on me and almost faint because of this too. :roll:

So, I guess you could say anytime that I am by myself away from home I am anxious.

What makes me feel safe and secure, being home or with my hubby. Even being out with my mom or hubbie's mom I feel a little anxious, but with my husband I feel totally safe and o.k. UNLESS we are traveling! That will get me all messed up too. :shock:
(When I say traveling I mean going somewhere at least an hour away from home and when we go and stay over night or more.)

Cath :)

eric71
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm new here. Hello all...

I've been suffering from anxiety off and on for about 10 years... I absolutely hate it... My anxiety has been hiding for about 6 years and then it creeped up on me the past few months... It just takes one bad anxiety attack to make it stick around for a while...

Anyway, a lot of things "set my anxiety off" but here are some common things and I'm sure a lot of you can relate:

1. Being in any place where I feel escape is not possible (without being noticed). Example: restaurant with friends or co-workers, at the movies, etc.
2. Driving in my car for long distances (mostly when I'm alone).
3. Being really far from home.
4. Being anywhere where I don't know the area.
5. Not knowing where a hospital is (only went to a hospital once with benign-palpitations but that was a couple years ago).
6. Feeling tired or fatigued makes it even worse. Then I feel like something is really wrong with me.

These are just a few I could think of off of the top of my head.

Safe places:

1. Home
2. With family (Mom especially - she has anxiety too - controlled with meds - but she can relate and that helps)
3. Odly enough, being in the forest with the fresh air, cool temps, beautiful surreal scenery.

Well there's my 2 cents...

If anyone has felt these symptoms, I would like to talk with you, so please feel free to PM me.

Eric

moviefreak13
10-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I am a very anxious person. I am very certain that I suffer from social phobia or something but no one has confirmed that for me yet. But anyways, the only place where I feel comfortable and at ease is in my bedroom. My comfort zone in general is my parents' house, but even outside of my bedroom I can be a little nervous or tense. I am the worst around people, especially when I am speaking outloud in front of a classroom or something. That was horrible for me when I was in high school!!! I really fear talking to people. My mom is the easiest person to talk to but I am still nervous with her at times.

xavier
10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
i havent been able to travel farther than a few hours from my house for many years. i just cant be too far away from home. but nowadays i have anxiety everywhere and anytime. home isnt really comforting anymore but its the best place other than work. i have been having anxiety about not being able to sleep and also if i get tired in the day i wont take a nap even though i should ,can, and want to because i think i wont sleep that night. i get anxiety when i am very tired or fatigued also and i didnt even realize thats what caused it until i started reading the replies here on this post. i dont like long lines. i dont like being lost or not knowing where i am. sometimes going to the movies does it. traffic gets me too. lately i have anxiety about what i will do all day and how i will use my time. a few months ago i tried to visit my dad 8 hours away and i planned it for a few weeks and 3 hours into my trip i gave up and drove home..that was quite a setback. i know i could never get in an airplane, a train.,a bus, anything where im not in control and come home right away. 1 time i went to a nfl game only 1&1/2 hours away but i went as a passenger with people i barely knew. i forgot my xanax and i had one the most ferocious panic attacks ever.. i thought i was gonna go crazy and i just kept feeling helpless and scared and very sick and i spent the whole game in the bathroom throwing up and hiding in the stall. i told my friends i was sick and luckily we left in the third quarter. i have also had 2 major panic attacks when i tried to go camping 2 times. im sorry this post is so long..i could go on but i dont even think i know all the causes of my anxiety or even remember all the times and things that caused it.. i will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with it for no reason at all..

scatmantom
10-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Nights out in clubs and stuff like that cause me to be really anxious...but its even b4 i go out...if i know about a planned night out i worry about it for days b4 hand and that makes the anxiety build over time untill im a wreck on the night. Other things include going back home to london (thats where i hav had the worst anxiety so i hate going back cos of memories). First days of work and all that as well...but i dont think there is anything im afraid to do...as i know that everything ive ever been faced with b4..i hav survived it...and each time i do something it becomes that much easier to cope! SO PERSISTANCE PEOPLE....I dont want this to ruin my life anymore :)

babycristy
10-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi guys, what sets off my anxiety lately the most are the following:
1. making lines
2. restaurants
3. eating with other people
4. dealing with people at work (sales)

Anything that basically requires me to stand and communicate with another person (except my boyfriend, who knows about my problem). Its hard to hide you anxiety from people and embarrassing when I always excuse myself to go to the bathroom (or outside) when I cannot handle the situation.

flower29
12-14-2005, 04:47 AM
I don't even feel safe with my own family the best place for me is at home with my boyfriend . I seem reaaly wierd to my family and its because they really don't understand how bad it is. when i have an anxiety attack i get the feeling that they gey annoyed with me like it is all dramatics. does anyone feel that way :?: :roll:

scatmantom
12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
my family are very supportive..but i hate to put them through watchin me suffer from anxiety

Laura
12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi

I guess at the beginning I did'nt have a clue where it came from as I was so sick. Now it is under control for the most part, but I get little attacks when when I have pressure of any kind . I also get sucker punced every once in a while right out of the blue ! These are " scary " because I have know idea where or when its coming.

Jono_aussie
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
my triggers are alcohol, going long distances away from home, being around people i dont know, intimidating people, thoughts of death, talkin to girls i like

AnthonyDaconti
01-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I find crowded bars to be the biggest trigger of anxiety. I have social anxiety, which makes me put pressure on myself when in a situation designed for social interaction. I tend to worry about little things like keeping the conversation going, which is something I rarely think about in a more comfortable and quiet setting.