PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gotten chiropractic care to relieve anxiety?

Thrifty917
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I've heard that chiropractic care is good for *everything* but that it can be very good for anxiety. Apparently being out of alignment and/or having pinched nerves can increase anxiety and sensations throughout your body that can cause anxiety.

Has anyone gotten chiropractic care and found it has helped their anxiety?
I just want to hear some success stories before I try it. Its a little expensive and money is tight so I can't do it unless I think it will really help.

Thanks!

jessed03
12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey thrifty!

I think every recovered anxiety suffer on the forum, and in general will agree with me on this one; It was never one thing that solved their anxiety riddle. It was an overall commitment to a healthier way of life. Over my journey, I have noticed many things that have influenced my anxiety for the worst; Reflux, hives, drinking soda on an empty stomach, spice before noon, skin products, tense muscles, sleeping in a poor position, over breathing, being low on calcium, over training... the list goes on. All of these were strong causes of anxiety, but not a main cause, each time I pursued said cures, I expected my anxiety to resolve. It didn't. A main cause was my thinking, and a disharmony within my body. I think us anxiety sufferers are always looking for that fix. The thing which will take us beyond our condition. Sadly, unless some tests come back saying otherwise, there rarely is one. There are just many things you can do to help yourself. Theres supplements, diet, exercise, vitamins, hypnotism, acupuncture, massages, reflexology etc...From what I've seen, these should be used as spices, and not the main ingredient to recover. The main ingredient is quite simply eliminating the pattern your body is in of over stressing.

If you had the money, I would definetly suggest trying it out. I'm a big believer in chiropractics, I think alignment of the body is a very important thing, but seeing as money is tight, as is for most of us these days, I would suggest trying those free (or very cheap) things for a while; Therapy (or if unavailable a book on CBT or something by Claire Weeks), relaxation strategies such as yoga nidra or progressive muscle relaxation, some light stretching/yoga/exercise, perhaps some meditation, drink some herbal teas or get some Rescue Remedy, there are many regular forumites such as Paniccured, alankey and forwells (among others) who could recommend a good (and fairly cheap) supplement plan for stress and anxiety.

From my experience, it was once I had implemented these strategies, that I found everything else worked far more efficiently. I had some accupunture, some spine work done, resolved my issues with reflux and other minor complaints, and I finally begun to see real changes. I feel if I had ignored these fundamentals, I would have built a house on sand. I look back now and realize there is little point in having work done, if I'd continued carrying habitual stress in my muscles, causing my body to repeat these same ailments I had already suffered.

I hope that makes a bit more sense, perhaps you are more seasoned to anxiety, and are looking for that boost, in that case, it is very reasonable to search out one or two minor things contributing to anxiety, and if you display some symptoms of such ailments, it's a very reasonable conclusion to seek chiropractic help.

All the best :)

PanicCured
12-17-2011, 05:56 AM
I would think a good acupuncturist would access a much deeper level than chiropractic can.