PDA

View Full Version : Starting therapy/CBT for first time in my life -- what to expect?

Thrifty917
12-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Hello all. I am 23 and have suffered from anxiety since childhood--as long as I can remember.

Its gotten bad in the past few years and specifically the past few months. I've reached a peak now where everyday I fear I am going to die. I go through a cycle of thinking I am having a heart attack, I have spinal meningitis, I have a ruptured internal organ, etc etc.. I'm not even going to go on and on about all of my symptoms.

Anyway, I finally decided to get help. I had an intake appointment today and they scheduled my first therapy appointment for shortly after Christmas. I know basically what CBT is but I've never done therapy before in my life. Does anyone have anything they care to share that they think I should know? Is it going to be like TV where you lay on a couch and talk about your childhood? Haha.. Sorry, I know every therapist/office is different. I just don't know what will happen, what we will do/talk about, etc.

Thanks.

stevie
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
hi! i'm glad to hear you are finally getting help- good for you and good luck! as for CBT, my psychologist is a psychotherapist who uses some CBT techniques, so i can't really tell you so much about it, but i do remember seeing a post on this forum about CBT techniques in more detail... good luck!!!

alankay
12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Thrifty, they talk about your thoughts and how that effects you, etc. Anyway I just want you to know you're not alone, there's help out there for you. If you're really having a hard time have you thought about going to you fam. doc. for some short term relieve from meds? If you can hold off fine, I just wouldn't like to see you suffer if things are real bad at this point for you. Message me any time.

jessed03
12-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Very different to tv. A lot of therapists are ex anxiety/depression sufferers too, so many can relate. It's pretty laid back, and at a pace you can handle. It can feel slightly odd changing things, but change always feels strange a first. They have very good success rates with anxiety related to hypochondria :)

angelk01
12-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah i think CBT helps u to change how u think about things and to inprove ur confidence. xxx

trackstar
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
CBT is awesome. I hope it is going well for you. Make sure and do your TEA forms everyday and I am sure you will feel a lot better soon :-)
Have you read the CBT book by Sam Obitz yet? It's the one that helped get me to believe I could beat my anxiety probs. I highlyn recommend it and it's a short book (www.tao3.com).

Best wishes to you!