PDA

View Full Version : Rebound anxiety?

star
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Hello, I'm new here :) I've been suffering from anxiety for about 6 months due to health problems of a family member and a health scare myself.

I was prescribed Xanax and then Klonopin in July and used the Klonopin as needed, not more than two or three times a week.

In November, I began noticing that when I took the Klonopin, I would get nauseous later that night--maybe 12 hours later--and the next day terrible, panicky anxiety.

Recently, I've been put on Buspar (only 3 days ago) and Atavan. I took 1/2 of an Atavan twice this week at night and this morning I had a repeat of the panicky anxiety. I actually ended up taking 500mg of GABA and that helped me calm down.

This is a lengthy first post, so thank you for reading. I'm thinking this could be rebound anxiety--thoughts?

PanicCured
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi Star. It sounds like you may be on a Benzo roller coaster and your docs answer is more Benzos. Xanax, Klonopin now Ativan. Are you able to stop the Benzos completely or will you get withdrawal? 2-3 times a week isn't so much. Is it possible you are just having anxiety not related to the drugs? Maybe you are one of thos epeople where Benzos don't react well. I think the best advice is discuss it with your doctor, but I know his answer will be just more drugs. There is a product called Theanine Serene which has GABA, Magnesium and Theanine.

star
12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Thank you, PanicCured. Is it possible that I'm feeling withdrawal from the Atavan night before last?

jessed03
12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Rebound anxiety is really common. They prescribed me Valium at my worst, and I would take one once a week when having a monster panic attack. I soon realized that the next day I felt really odd. Really anxious, but in a way I couldn't express, and it would sit with me all day, whereas a panic attack was over in 20 mins. I stopped taking them after that. They weren't helping me, just postponing anxiety by a day. I guess thats why Benzo's are one of the most addictive drugs out there.

star
12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Rebound anxiety is really common. They prescribed me Valium at my worst, and I would take one once a week when having a monster panic attack. I soon realized that the next day I felt really odd. Really anxious, but in a way I couldn't express, and it would sit with me all day, whereas a panic attack was over in 20 mins. I stopped taking them after that. They weren't helping me, just postponing anxiety by a day. I guess thats why Benzo's are one of the most addictive drugs out there.
Yes! That's exactly what it feels like. Did it take long to feel back to "normal"?

Thank you for the reply.

jessed03
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes! That's exactly what it feels like. Did it take long to feel back to "normal"?

Not too long really. There was quite a lot of ups and downs though. I sort of just allowed my body a while to feel really off, while it got back to normal. I wouldn't get p***d off with things, or myself if I went through stages of numbness, or strange feelings or strange thoughts. It taught me a good lesson really. I had run out of things to hide behind. I couldn't drink, or distract myself with other vices like gambling or comfort eating. I couldn't take benzo's as they weren't making me feel much better. I sort of just had to stand there and face the anxiety. I kinda then started to go beyond it. Became comfortable with the suffering, if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, it was no cake walk, life was hard, but probably the acceptance of pain was the only peace I could really get in that situation. In the end it became a case of; Oh a panic attack? Ok then, I'll go read a magazine while this takes place, and I'd read fitness mags while my hearts racing a million miles an hour, and theres a huge rock in my throat lol. Over time, with good treatment, and a focus on health, things slowly re-balanced themselves.

star
12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Not too long really. There was quite a lot of ups and downs though. I sort of just allowed my body a while to feel really off, while it got back to normal. I wouldn't get p***d off with things, or myself if I went through stages of numbness, or strange feelings or strange thoughts. It taught me a good lesson really. I had run out of things to hide behind. I couldn't drink, or distract myself with other vices like gambling or comfort eating. I couldn't take benzo's as they weren't making me feel much better. I sort of just had to stand there and face the anxiety. I kinda then started to go beyond it. Became comfortable with the suffering, if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, it was no cake walk, life was hard, but probably the acceptance of pain was the only peace I could really get in that situation. In the end it became a case of; Oh a panic attack? Ok then, I'll go read a magazine while this takes place, and I'd read fitness mags while my hearts racing a million miles an hour, and theres a huge rock in my throat lol. Over time, with good treatment, and a focus on health, things slowly re-balanced themselves.

That's amazing--thank you so much for the perspective.

jessed03
12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
That's amazing--thank you so much for the perspective.

Not to worry, I have to find something to do on a Friday night, stuck in with flu, so I may as well chat with you nice folks :P

We're having a really good discussion on another thread, regarding drugs (specifically benzo's) and their roll in healing anxiety. Ativan caused a really blissful feeling at first, a sort of sleepy peaceful feeling. I sorted of longed for that peace in my life (which was a warzone at the time, mentally, physically, spirtitually, financially, love-wise). I think it highlighted this within me as the feeling wore off, and I must have developed some depression along the way. I know taking benzo's with depression can enhance that depressed feeling.

It could also be conflicting with the buspar. I took Valium whilst starting on an AD, it made me feel a little weird.

How severe is your anxiety? If you had to sum it up, would it be uncomfortable, or unbearable?

star
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
How severe is your anxiety? If you had to sum it up, would it be uncomfortable, or unbearable?

Most of the time, it's uncomfortable--sometimes like butterflies and other times like knots. I am going to give the Buspar a real try--the side effects are already much better--and skip the Benzos completely.

alankay
12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Star, funny that they started you on the shorter acting benzo xanax but the move to klonopin was right(long half life drug so wears off slowly so many patients report fewer effects like rebound anxiety). Having said that starting buspar just might be having an effect on you. Dizziness is more common I think. Ativans half life is about 20 hours so it could very well be that benzo don't agree with you. Ativan comes in .5, 1 and 2 mg you if your taking 1/2 the .5 mg(even the 1mg tab), I'd be surprised if you had any issues with that unless you're sensitive to benzos. I agree that the underlying anxiety should be factored in but if they make you nauseous on fairly low dose, you could be sensitive to benzos or at least some. ALL those you've been on are so called "high potency" benzos. If buspar fails, maybe a trial of "normal potency", longer acting clorazepate(no active metabolites), longer acting diazepam(active metabolites) would be worth it. Librium also is a low potency, longer acting drug. These drugs with their long half lives sort of "self taper". I personally prefer them(diazepam in particular). They act so long you body has time to adjust to that(as the leave you system) and cause less rebound anxiety. Now having said that talking about the cause, your stressors/conflicts/fears with someone should also be a part of dealing with this anxiety(you didn't mention if you were already seeing someone to talk over all this with). I agree caution to be used with these meds but here's some possibilities (1) bad reaction to the ones tried (2) underlying anxiety coming through (3) perhaps high potency benzo don't agree with you but I'v never had any issues and I used all over the years except for xanax. Ask your doc about a longer acter in the hopes that they don't make you sick as well as talking to someone, professional, close friend/family about your fears and feelings. Message me any time.

star
12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Star, funny that they started you on the shorter acting benzo xanax but the move to klonopin was right(long half life drug so wears off slowly so many patients report fewer effects like rebound anxiety). Having said that starting buspar just might be having an effect on you. Dizziness is more common I think. Ativans half life is about 20 hours so it could very well be that benzo don't agree with you. Ativan comes in .5, 1 and 2 mg you if your taking 1/2 the .5 mg(even the 1mg tab), I'd be surprised if you had any issues with that unless you're sensitive to benzos. I agree that the underlying anxiety should be factored in but if they make you nauseous on fairly low dose, you could be sensitive to benzos or at least some. ALL those you've been on are so called "high potency" benzos. Maybe a trial of "normal potency", longer acting clorazepate(no active metabolites), longer acting diazepam(active metabolites) would be worth it. Librium also is a low potency, longer acting drug. These drugs with their long half lives sort of "self taper". I personally prefer them(diazepam in particular). They act so long you body has time to adjust to that(as the leave you system) and cause less rebound anxiety. Now having said that talking about the cause, your stressors/conflicts/fears with someone should also be a part of dealing with this anxiety(you didn't mention if you were already seeing someone to talk over all this with). I agree caution to be used with these meds but here's some possibilities (1) bad reaction to the ones tried (2) underlying anxiety coming through (3) perhaps high potency benzo don't agree with you but I'v never had any issues and I used all over the years except for xanax. Ask your doc about a longer acter in the hopes that they don't make you sick as well as talking to someone, professional, close friend/family about your fears and feelings. Message me any time.

Thank you so much--I am seeing a therapist (Psychologist), and it helps. The reactions to all of these meds all seem to happen when they are leaving my body, which is why I suspected rebound. I neglected to mention in my first post that I was also given Diazepam, which did not seem to cause any rebound effects but also didn't help with my symptoms. I used 2mg tablets twice a day a few times.

Before all this happened, I had never even heard of all these meds. Quite a lot to learn!

PanicCured
12-16-2011, 04:03 PM
How long have you been on Ativan for? If under a month, I think it's very unlikely you can be going through withdrawal. The Buspar could be messing with you, or you are just having side effects, not withdrawal, from the Benzos, or its just anxiety and you are blaming the meds. Sometimes anxiety or panic attacks do feel like you are drugged.

PanicCured
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I started on Xanax and moved on to Klonopins. I developed a relationship with Klonopins and loved them. I couldn't wait to take the next dose. It was all I wanted to do, but I was smart and resisted. I tried not taking them more than once a day and not every day of the week. But I was totally in love with them. It got to a point where if I didn't have it for about 3 days, I would start getting these sickly feelings, and these heat rushes, and these awful feelings. I think I even had these convulsion like shivers once. That was when I realized I had to get a taper program going and I reduced them little by little over the next few months. But I have to say, after 3 weeks of 2 mg doses, a lot of the high faded, and I wasn't getting the full hypnotic affect. I think that's when people go up in dose, which I never did. I look at Benzos as totally playing with fire, and they all have these fish hooks that sink into your soul. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

star
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Update--I probably did a stupid thing. I was having such anxiety the last 2 days with chest tightness, etc that this morning I took 1/4 mg of Klonopin. I haven't taken any of that in about a month--the last time caused some rebound. Kinda scared......any suggestions? I'm tempted to just keep taking it indefinitely--my doctor said it would be ok. I just don't see the anxiety abating anytime soon. It's constant.....

It did calm me down--very drowsy, though.

A frame of reference--I'm still on my first bottle of Klonopin from July--it was a two week supply that I've cut into 1/4ths.

Thanks.

star
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
How long have you been on Ativan for? If under a month, I think it's very unlikely you can be going through withdrawal. The Buspar could be messing with you, or you are just having side effects, not withdrawal, from the Benzos, or its just anxiety and you are blaming the meds. Sometimes anxiety or panic attacks do feel like you are drugged.
I had not seen this reply--I only took the Avatan twice, 1/2 mg each time 2 days apart. I understand it's more addicting than the Klonopin?

PanicCured
12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Look, you don't get addicted from taking Benzos a few times. You took Ativan twice, don't worry. You took 1/4 mg of Klonopin? I was taking 2 mg at once. I'm sure a lot of other people take much more after being on it for a long time.

The problem I see, is what are you doing to help you get past this anxiety long term? Banzos will not cure you anxiety. They help in the short term, and they can be very valuable in that respect. They helped me get to work and leave the house. But you can't be on them indefinitely without problems.

What is most important is no matter what medication you take, is to see this anxiety as something you can get past little by little and you need to incorporate the correct techniques to get there. I suggest you read my thread up at the top about techniques I used to overcome my panic disorder.

star
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Message me any time.

Thank you so much!

star
12-21-2011, 07:13 AM
I suggest you read my thread up at the top about techniques I used to overcome my panic disorder.

I did that--already looked into the breathing method :)

JustaGal
09-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi Star. It sounds like you may be on a Benzo roller coaster and your docs answer is more Benzos. Xanax, Klonopin now Ativan. Are you able to stop the Benzos completely or will you get withdrawal? 2-3 times a week isn't so much. Is it possible you are just having anxiety not related to the drugs? Maybe you are one of thos epeople where Benzos don't react well. I think the best advice is discuss it with your doctor, but I know his answer will be just more drugs. There is a product called Theanine Serene which has GABA, Magnesium and Theanine.

Can you take the Theanine Serene with a SSRI?

PanicCured
10-31-2014, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't know this of course. Maybe somebody does. Theanine is an amino acid so I wouldn't think it is a problem but I am not a doctor.