PDA

View Full Version : quick question on calcium

ashcole
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
A few months ago the only thing they could find wrong with me was low calcium i got calcium caplets but never took them lately ive been reading that calcium can help anxiety but i really hate to take meds

these pills have

vitamin d 400 iu
calcium 600 mg
magnesium 50 mg
zinc 7.5 mg
copper 1mg
manganese 1.8 mg
boron 250 mcg

can these help my anxiety or make it worse

jessed03
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
To be blunt, low calcium is a common, and quite serious cause of anxiety, not due to anything severe, but because if not rectified, the anxiety will keep repeating. Stress depletes it's ability to be absorbed, and the cycle continues. So many of my friends who have suffered anxiety have also been calcium deficient. Myself included. Calcium is commonly referred to as the body's sedative.

At first glance those pills look ok, Vit. D, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc are good for anxiety and it's symptoms in most cases, those nothing in those tablets look like they'd cause anxiety. The usual culprit's can be the B-vitamins.

If you feel you don't like capsules, is there no way you could drink more milk? I think 600mg of calcium is 3 extra glasses of milk. Maybe add some orange juice somewhere in the day to help absorb it. Not at once though as it sound's a nauseating combination! :)

PanicCured
12-14-2011, 12:54 AM
That's very interesting. I usually am against calcium for anxiety sufferers but you have a diagnosed low calcium condition. If you really have low calcium, you musty supplement it. Balance it with magnesium. You need to correct this deficiency first, then adjust accordingly. So you will have to take a blood test again. I recommend taking a chelated from of calcium so you actually absorb it. What you mentioned above has 600 mg of Calcium. Enzymatic Therapy, Krebs Cycle Chelates, has this:

Calcium (as CFMSA chelate**) 600 mg 60%
Iron (as CFMSA chelate**) 5 mg 28%
Iodine (from marine organic minerals) 100 mcg 67%
Magnesium (as CFMSA chelate**) 400 mg 100%
Zinc (as CFMSA chelate**) 15 mg 100%
Selenium (as CFMSA chelate**) 75 mcg 107%
Copper (as CFMSA chelate**) 1 mg 50%
Manganese (as CFMSA chelate**) 2 mg 100%
Chromium (as CFMSA chelate**) 100 mcg 83%
Molybdenum (as CFMSA chelate**) 25 mcg 33%
Sodium 10 mg <1%
Potassium (as CFMSA chelate**) 100 mg 3%
Boron (as CFMSA chelate**) 4 mg †
Vanadium (as CFMSA chelate**)

So you are getting 400 mg chelated magnesium too, which balances out the calcium, as calcium excites, magnesium relaxes the nerves. One is extracellular and one is intracellular.