PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Intolerance

Razzle
12-13-2011, 07:16 AM
In almost every anxiety book they say to do strenuous aerobic exercise for anxiety. I can walk but when I try to run or lift weights I am sick with just a few minutes of harder exercise - even if I walk too fast this happens.

Anyone else??

Chiliphil1
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Getting sick after exercise is normal for some people, especially if you are new to it. I would recommend seeing a doctor and making sure everything is OK just for safety reasons. Once you know everything is OK then just try to work yourself up slowly to more exercise, also you may want to consult a nutritionist or personal trainer for some tips. Vitamin deficiency can also cause it, sometimes some supplements may be all you need, good luck!

alankay
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd go at it easier. Start slowly.

PanicCured
12-14-2011, 12:45 AM
YOGA!

I know what you mean. When I was knee deep in anxiety I couldn't lift weights. I freaked out every time my heart went up. Now I work out 4-5 days a week and pound the weights extremely hard and I love it. Remember, working out is a marathon not a sprint. It is a long term process, and you start light and slowly work your way up. Only lift the bar at first if that's all you can do. Add a little weight when you can, to increase resistance, and before you know it your knee deep in some serious lifting.

What helped me a lot during the anxiety time of my life, was yoga 2-3 days a week. This anyone can do, because you go at your own pace. You sweat, you get more flexible, it is amazing for health and you feel incredible after. Don't think you have to bend into a pretzel, that isn't what yoga is about. It's about doing what you can do at your level, and feeling the stretch within.

What's great about yoga class, is it comes with a whole community setting, and people that take yoga are usually very positive, and the environment is perfect for anxiety sufferers. Find a place where you can go often and you may even make some friends. I never had an anxiety attack during yoga, but when I was on meds, I did go once stoned from Klonopins and I don't recommend doing that!