PDA

View Full Version : Just had an attack

dthul1
12-10-2011, 12:03 AM
So I just had a panic attack. I was fine until I laid down in bed. Then it started. I just got this overwhelming sense of dread all of a sudden and felt yet again like I was dying. This one lasted about 15 minutes. The one I had before this one lasted about a hour so I suppose that's an improvement. Now I'm left with a headache and trouble focusing. Day 5 of being on paxil. I really hope this medication works.

Thanks for reading.

worrier123
12-10-2011, 06:40 AM
i just had one too :(

PanicCured
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
So now you both see you're ok. Remember this moment next time it happens. In that moment right before you went, "Oh my god!" then boom the panic started, what were you thinking or feeling? What caused that initial adrenaline/fight or flight response? Did you add 2nd fear that caused the attack? What can you do next time it creeps up on you to prevent a full on panic attack?

dthul1
12-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Thats the thing it seemed like it was everything. From dying to feeling sick to a pain in my stomach. Im trying to just accept it because thats what I hear gets you over anxiety but its difficult.

homebird
12-12-2011, 07:19 AM
If you're looking for some helpful reading material, I recommend the book "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. It really described what I was going through (re: panic attacks) and gave some helpful advice on how to face them, get through them and eventually "conquer" them. Hope you feel better soon!

PanicCured
12-12-2011, 07:20 AM
But was there a point that kicked in the fight or flight response? That moment that went BOOM and the panic attack began? At that moment, what were you doing? Was it, "Oh my god this is it! I'm dying now!" and then the panic attack began? Compare this to a real physical disease, where it hits you regardless of what your mind and emotions were going through. Were you feeling rather odd, fearful, and just plain weird, and then added the "Oh my god!" then the panic attack? In my opinion and from my experience, anxiety disorder is when the nervous system is so sensitive that a slight "Oh my god!" can cause an intense fight or flight response. Where in a calm and well balanced nervous system, the adrenals would not so easily dump adrenaline into your system. You may say "Oh my god" and then a few seconds later your calm again. It's almost like your nervous system has a strong gate that is closed tighter. This is why I strongly believe to cure this problem, is to do multiple techniques to rebalance and nourish your nervous system, and calm the mind to get you back to health.