PDA

View Full Version : Zoned

Enzo386
12-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Anyone have recommendations on how to get rid of the "zoned out" feeling that comes with anxiety? I'm not sure how else to describe it, besides a general feeling of "fogginess", almost like you're trapped in the head or something lol.

I'm sure someone here will know what I mean. My "symptoms" have been going away very quickly, minus this one.

alankay
12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Enzo, proper breathing and to try and relax your muscles would be my guess. See when you get really anxious your breathing shallows and gets irregular. Blood pressure/pulse also goes up and the blood gases(O2/CO2 ratio) get out of where they usually are(just a bit but enough) and this higher pressure/faster moving blood with blood gases(a little different than normal) are going into your brain. This leads to a "detached feeling", "feeling of unreality" that makes many of us wonder/scared we're "losing it". That just makes you more scared, etc. Anyway I think that's the feeling you're referring to. Kind of similar/related to that lightheaded, funny feeling you get holding your breath, except when you do that you know exactly why you get a funny feeling/light headed so are not too concerned. Plus the heightened adrenaline in your blood has that effect as well. Not too often we feel that much adrenaline so it feels...weird. Message me any time.

Enzo386
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Thats a good way to describe it. Now that I think about it, its been around since I had a pretty nasty cold/flu about 2/3 weeks ago. My sinuses behind my eyes seem very congested still. That could probably be doing a lot of it..... Hmm.

jessed03
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
This symptom is AWFUL! You have my complete sympathy. I suffered from this from about a year non-stop. It was hellish. My life went to pot because what was the point of doing anything, if whatever I do I'm in this thick haze. I couldn't be bothered to work, to socialize, it all just felt strange and uncomfortable. Slightly distorted. It's like I wasn't really experiencing anything, like de realization mixed with being drunk underwater. Truth be told it still comes on now and again, like if I get a cold, or overdo it at the gym. Thankfully you've only had it a few weeks. I found out, as Alan says, it has a lot to do with your breathing. When you relax, and close your eyes, how is your breath, does it make a sound? Is it jolty? Irregular? Difficult? Do you breathe through nose or mouth? Certain foods brought it on for me too, like egg was a really bad culprit and cutting it out reduced it. But I basically realised I had a huge problem of habitual over breathing, even though I wasn't stressed anymore.

This is the one symptom that never went, even though all the others did. I've made a lot of ground with it, but I still haven't totally mastered it, so any insight you get into it, be sure to throw it this way :)

Hopefully your sinuses will clear and this nasty problem will go away. I sincerely wish you the best!