PDA

View Full Version : Agitation - Pacing & Walking

Razzle
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have this severe tension and agitation where they feel the need to walk and pace all day.

Feel like I am going to explode - cant think and everything is too much

alankay
12-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd had it where I felt a walk/run(I'm a runner) would make me feel better and it did. Not a compulsion but just felt like exercise might bleed off some nervous/anxious energy and it did. Practice some progressive relaxation and deep breathing too.

stevie
12-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion alankay! When I saw this post, I was going to write that I have it too- like I have this intense need to escape from my head and thoughts and need to pace.. but it never helps. It actually usually makes it worse.. Do you have any particular breathing exercise? I'd love to try the physical exercise as well, but most of the time these happen in the middle of the night so it's not so feasible...

alankay
12-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Stevie, this url has what I pretty much use of both progressive relaxation and deep breathing.

http://www.umm.edu/sleep/relax_tech.htm#a

Key is for me is to(ONCE RELAXED with eyes closed, read the link above), exhale and say to yourself("relax"), inhale and say to yourself("deeper"), exhale and say to yourself("relax"), inhale and say to yourself("deeper"), exhale and say to yourself("relax"), inhale and say to yourself("deeper") and FEEL your body relax. Do this for a few minute and picture yourself going down a pretty wooden stairway. Lower and lower you go finally that leads to a small pretty lake surrounded by quiet woods, with a gentle waterfall under slowly moving white puffy clouds(or ANY scene, perhaps a beach, you find calming/serene). A light breeze moves the clouds and tree tops gently. Continue the breathing(exhale/"relax", inhale/"deeper"). Imagine sitting on the soft grass near the lake and feel how relaxed your body is, how peaceful and wonderful this place is, etc. You can continue saying the words you have been or just start to say "one" upon exhaling. Stay relaxed for a few minutes and then take a deep breath and in you mind get up and slowly walk up the wooden stairs until you get to the top and slowly open your eyes. Don't move, just notice how relaxed you are and slowly get up, stretch, give yourself a minute to adjust to moving about and feel better. Now, this is key. Like anything you do you get better with practice. Your body and mind also get better and learn this "relaxation response"(it's OPPOSITE the anxiety response). After practicing it for a few days and weeks a couple times a day, you'll will be able to call on it easily and even faster. If you keep it up it will be a learned response that will be entered more quickly, easily and you get more relaxed and it will become a great tool/technique to use in your counter strategy(and at any time/place) against stress an anxiety. Message me any time.

stevie
12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
thanks! i'll have a go at it... :)

Slammed Vdub
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
i do when im on the phone if that counts :P. Good Luck

stevie
12-07-2011, 11:34 PM
alankay- I tried the breathing technique yesterday, and it really help- thanks so much! i'm not a naturally patient person, so i'm sure doing these techniques will take some work, but i'm sure it's worth it :)

jessed03
12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I didn't have that. but I had moment's when I felt so keyed up, I would start pumping my fists, really strongly and fiercely, like I needed to get something out of my system. Relaxation helped it a bit, it depended how much I could concentrate, like you said, when your anxious, patience and concentration aren't always readily available, but over the long run you'll feel a difference. I found avoiding caffeine and sugar was a must, avoiding dairy helped it a bit too, but that could totally just be me. The muscle relaxation was the best, as you can take all that tension, and throw it into your muscles, and then loosen, and feel it all evaporate. I still do muscle relaxation daily. I find I carry much less tension now.

alankay
12-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm glad it helped and keep practicing, you'll get better at it for sure.