PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondria is getting the best of me...

klm9088
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
It was been close to a year now (10 months) since I have started getting "random symptoms" all of the time. I constantly think something is wrong with me. I get chest pains several times a week. I even went to the emergency room about it EKG test, chest x-rays, blood work and they said I seemed perfectly healthy. Went to the follow up appointment with my physician and they said I seemed perfectly healthy the only thing that looked bad on my blood test was low potassium. (this was 2 months ago) I always think things are wrong with me and it's starting to get in the way of work, school and my social life. I was just wondering if other people are going through this and if they know ways to deal with this without taking medicine. I do have a history of high anxiety in my childhood I had selective mutism. from when I was about 4-17. I am 21 now and I am suffering from anxiety pretty bad (Not selective mutisim at all though)

alankay
12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Howde klm, well that's(selective mutism) an anxiety disorder in itself. I bet you are perfectly healthy....just anxious. With the history of additional "high anxiety" in your past I'd consider a trial of and ssri of perhaps 6 months to a year and see how you benefit. I read you don't like meds, neither do I. But if it's that bad, you might considered biting the bullet, going to a GP telling all your history and see what he recommends. I had a bit of "health anxiety"(hypochondria) just before I got treatment and even a little after beginning treatment. I thought/feared I had heart problems, bone cancer, oral cancer, leukemia, etc. Which I now can chuckle about. The odds of you having a serious health issue at 21 is miniscule. I bet you it's alllllllllllllll anxiety related. Message me any time.

Forrest Owl
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I feel like that all the time, always thinks something is wrong with me and it turns out I am fine, I always have that impending doom feeling about my health, recently I went to the doc for bloating and lower back pain because I read online about that being signs of ovarian cancer so my doc sent me for an ultrasound and it came back normal, but I cant get over that it is normal I keep thinking because I still feel crappy that I have ovarian cancer, I cant get myself to understand that no tumors on your ovaries means no cancer but I still think I have it