PDA

View Full Version : Avoidant personality disorder questions

Roux
12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
So I just finished meeting w/ my therapist and she, after some questioning on her part due to the lack of my progression, thinks I might have Avoidant personality disorder. The little research that I have done on this makes me think she might be dead on. So ok we think we have the correct diagnosis now what most sources say is to do virtually the same treatment as one would do with GAD, SAD, panic disorder, or depression. That is great my big concern is what does this me about my prognosis. Am I doomed to this for the rest of my life? Can I cope and be worth society? Like I said in a previous thread I am in my second year of medical residency and I am having struggles. In fact I have had to take time off due to my increasing anxiety (secondary to mismanagement in medications and most likely pressure that I put on myself to be "fixed"). This whole thing is unbelievable frustrating to me because I have put so so much time into my career and I really love the field that I am in (pathology). I just want to finish and move on.

Also it is really tough trying to find that fine line between articulating what is going on to my superiors so that they can understand that I am not acting timid or avoiding them because I am trying to get out of work, but it is due to this disorder. Having said that shouldn't they make attempts to work with me regarding this? I mean if I had lost a limb but could still perform the job adequately they would have to accommodate me then correct? (might be a poor example) I guess I'm wondering at what point is this considered discrimination? (Just to say up front I am not litigious nor do I want this to even look like it could go that direction but at the same time I feel that my actions due to this disorder have been misconstrued) It hasn't happened thus far but if I were to be penalized due to actions being misconstrued is there anything that I can do? Like I said I just want to get through residency and move on with my life, but at the same time I feel as though I should be treated fairly.

This is something that I have struggled with my whole life and at the same time I have committed numerous years of blood, sweat, and tears to get where I am. I just don't want it all to go to waste. I would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks