PDA

View Full Version : They said it's all in my head

Aguila Negra
11-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Have you ever had someone tell you that the pain you are feeling is all in your head? That everything you are feeling you are doing to yourself likes it's a choice? I can't stand it when people tell me it's all in my head. I just get so frustrated and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to make them understand. My parents do this all the time. I tell them one of my fears and my reasoning behind it and they just tell me it's all in my head. They give me a look like I'm crazy.

Almost everyday I feel like bursting into tears but I don't. I keep myself from crying because I can't stand people hearing or seeing me cry. There is no one in my life who I trust enough to cry in front of.

PanicCured
11-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Only people who experienced anxiety can understand what you're going through. Don't expect others to get it.

Schatmeisje
11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree Panic Cured ! just remeber you are not crazy, they are still very real PHYSICAL symptoms. I an the first to admit that before i had disorders, i would have never understood either, and i always try to remember that when i get frustrated with people that dont understand. I have just tried to surround myself only with people who do understand. Even my dada doesnt get it, he willl say ' just go out and go to a restaraunt' yeh right, if i could do that, I WOULD, and its not because i dont want to, i just cant do it at the moment. I canw ork on it, but it takes time !

WineKitty
11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I also concur. The only people that really understand anxiety issues are those who suffer from it, or have previously suffered from it.

penguino
11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I agree too. I have a very supportive girlfriend who has heard me repeat the same story over and over. I tell her, "I wouldn't have anxiety about the pain if the pain wasn't there". Its a vicious circle, but the people are right, it is in your head, they just don't know what they are saying. Your mind is actually causing you to experience physical pain, its actually quite incredible when you think about it. Aguila, you are definitely in the right place, everyone here is in a very similar boat to yours so these are the people who will understand how you feel!

PanicCured
11-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Saying it's all in your head is like saying what you are feeling is imaginary. This is incorrect. It would be better to say your mind and your thoughts, causes a cascade of chemical reactions, nervous impulses, release of adrenaline and cortisol, resulting in your symptoms. The source may be your head, but the symptoms are your body reacting to what your mind is putting out. That is why it is best if you can heal the branch, as well as the root.

Schatmeisje
11-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Oh Kev, well said ! Could I steal your response to put on my support group?