PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety = IBS Trigger?

Zurgan
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Help!

I recently went to the doctor, got a rectal exam, then got a colonoscopy. My colon is normal. My doctor said before the colonoscopy that IBS could be a possibility. Here is what is happening to me:

Before I go to school (or anywhere else now it seems) I have a bowel movement, then I get very anxious. I have to go to the bathroom between 5-15 times now before I leave. It used to go away when I would get to the bus stop or school, but now it just doesn't go away. It started when I had diarrhea one day, and almost went in my pants! Then for a couple of days after that, I had diarrhea at school. When I get home, I'm fine. I'm missing a lot of school, and this is my senior year!

Could this be severe anxiety triggering IBS? Can anyone relate? What kind of medication should I ask my doctor about?

kellyzac
10-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi, yes it could, i can't say that ive had exactly the same happen but if i was anxious over a situation or something my ibs would kick off. i don't know if there is a med for it but def speak to your doctor about it.

kellyx

Brad72
10-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Anxiety definitely causes diarrhoea. This is a problem that I used to have before getting on a plane, bus or going into a meeting. A bowel movement is just one of the anxiety symptoms designed primarily to make you lighter so you can run faster to escape the danger. Hence the phrase "sh#T myself" . Many animals like birds still do when presented with danger so they can fly away faster. .

I found that a diarrhoea tablet called Imodium (Loperamide) works really well. It was recommended by my doctor and I would take a tablet about 30 minutes before the event. It just calms the stomach down and I could get on with my day. Even though I have now overcome the problem I still have the imodium in my car for that just in case event.

Just remember that you are safe and the likelihood of soiling you pants in very unlikely.

PanicCured
10-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I definitely remember getting mega diarrhea during panic attacks. Since you are going so much, please take something to replenish your electrolytes. A gatorade type drink and lots and lots of water!