PDA

View Full Version : Hi..

halfwayhome
11-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey, my name is Steph and I just joined up.
I have GAD, OCD & Panic Disorder. I've had them for as long as I can remember - as a child I was absolutely terrified of people with the exception of my parents and grandmother and things never really changed. I lived like that for a long time without really realizing there was anything wrong. Only in the past few years have I realized that not everyone lives like this - and I'm twenty two. It took me almost twenty years to accept that I have anxiety problems.

Anyway, as of lately things have been out of control. I had a health scare about a month ago that I thought was colon cancer. It turns out it wasn't, but since then I've been terrified that I have some other fatal health condition. Currently, I'm concerned about brain cancer.. upon researching it I realize I had the symptoms. Went to the doctor and the ER. The ER doctor gave me a neurological examination and told me very confidently that he was so certain it wasn't a brain tumor that he didn't even need to do a CT scan. I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. He said it was my anxiety. I don't really believe him.. I hear about people with brain tumors and think it's a sign.. I get a slight headache and I know it's related.. but mostly, I have this weirdness in my right hand & arm.. it's like a numbness sort of, hard to explain.. I had it last year and then it went away.. came back recently. Sometimes I also have pain in th e arm after it feels numb for a long time. I read a story about a guy who had the same problem and it turned out to be a brain tumor.. and it made my anxiety flare up even higher. I hear stories about people who go to doctors and their doctors tell them it's nothing, and then it turns out to be a brain tumor, and I just go into panic attack mode. I have it on my left arm too, but not nearly as bad. I have leg pain sometimes too. My right eye feels.. I don't know, weird.. and at times the right side of my face feels numb-ish, although I still have all feeling and all motor skills.The dcotor at the ER told me that if I had a brain tumor, not all parts of my brain would be functioning and they all were functioning perfectly, but I still don't believe him. I'm having memory loss lately, and the arm thing.. and some dizziness. He says it's all my anxiety. I guess I just don't understand why he was SO sure that he didn't even bother to do the scan.. my boyfriend tells me because it's that obvious that I don't have a tumor, but then again, these people who were misdiagnosed.. they didn't get scans either.

Okay, so as you can clearly see, this is how my mind is working right now. It's 7:09 am and I haven't slept yet tonight because I have myself so worked up that I have a brain tumor, I can't relax enough to sleep. My poor boyfriend is about to go nuts (he's SO supportive, I don't know how he deals with me.) I have not been able to relax lately at all, and it's like I'm constantly living in fear. Yeah. Anxiety.. fun times, huh?

matt81
11-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Hiya im new aswell im 25, male and from the UK. I have been a 'worrier' all my life but these last 12-18 months I have had episodes of extreme anxiety which led to some pretty horrible thoughts about myself. I started a college course in september which I was looking forward to all summer until about 2 or 3 weeks before I started then I started to really really dread it to the point where I couldnt eat, think or concentrate. I started the course and I felt worse lol! then gradually I started to feel a bit better and at times really happy! Then half term came and I got really stressed it was horrid! But I spoke to my therapist on the phone, bought a book (Overcoming Anxiety by Helen Kennerley which I highly recommend) challenged my thoughts as best I could then when I went back I went out drinking with all the students at halloween which made me feel great. Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I started to feel anxious again and at the moment its really bad. I have a good time at college but I keep thinking "what if its not the right course?" "Im not 100% so I must leave!" I think deep down I dont want to leave but I can't get rid of these thoughts and because I am so stressed It brings up all of my other thoughts which really stresses me out and makjes me feel worse. I dont take any meds I just have CBT but I am thinking maybe I should take something just to alleviate the physical symptoms and keep having therapy and counselling to deal with the psychological symptoms what do you al think and what are your experiences I think I could help you cos iv read a few other stories and a lot of you are worse than me so i really think we can help each other. :)

matt81
11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey, my name is Steph and I just joined up.
I have GAD, OCD & Panic Disorder. I've had them for as long as I can remember - as a child I was absolutely terrified of people with the exception of my parents and grandmother and things never really changed. I lived like that for a long time without really realizing there was anything wrong. Only in the past few years have I realized that not everyone lives like this - and I'm twenty two. It took me almost twenty years to accept that I have anxiety problems.

Anyway, as of lately things have been out of control. I had a health scare about a month ago that I thought was colon cancer. It turns out it wasn't, but since then I've been terrified that I have some other fatal health condition. Currently, I'm concerned about brain cancer.. upon researching it I realize I had the symptoms. Went to the doctor and the ER. The ER doctor gave me a neurological examination and told me very confidently that he was so certain it wasn't a brain tumor that he didn't even need to do a CT scan. I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. He said it was my anxiety. I don't really believe him.. I hear about people with brain tumors and think it's a sign.. I get a slight headache and I know it's related.. but mostly, I have this weirdness in my right hand & arm.. it's like a numbness sort of, hard to explain.. I had it last year and then it went away.. came back recently. Sometimes I also have pain in th e arm after it feels numb for a long time. I read a story about a guy who had the same problem and it turned out to be a brain tumor.. and it made my anxiety flare up even higher. I hear stories about people who go to doctors and their doctors tell them it's nothing, and then it turns out to be a brain tumor, and I just go into panic attack mode. I have it on my left arm too, but not nearly as bad. I have leg pain sometimes too. My right eye feels.. I don't know, weird.. and at times the right side of my face feels numb-ish, although I still have all feeling and all motor skills.The dcotor at the ER told me that if I had a brain tumor, not all parts of my brain would be functioning and they all were functioning perfectly, but I still don't believe him. I'm having memory loss lately, and the arm thing.. and some dizziness. He says it's all my anxiety. I guess I just don't understand why he was SO sure that he didn't even bother to do the scan.. my boyfriend tells me because it's that obvious that I don't have a tumor, but then again, these people who were misdiagnosed.. they didn't get scans either.

Okay, so as you can clearly see, this is how my mind is working right now. It's 7:09 am and I haven't slept yet tonight because I have myself so worked up that I have a brain tumor, I can't relax enough to sleep. My poor boyfriend is about to go nuts (he's SO supportive, I don't know how he deals with me.) I have not been able to relax lately at all, and it's like I'm constantly living in fear. Yeah. Anxiety.. fun times, huh?

I really feel for you ur problems pale in comparison to mine but I know u have probably heard this many many times before but if you have had these scans and they've come up negative then your brain is ok so please try not to worry :) have u tried hypnotherapy? U can get them on CD its a bit weird at first and it may put u off but whenever I have used it it has chilled me out Im going to start doing it every night because I think it will really help me and I think it will really help you as well.. take care and try not to worry!

halfwayhome
11-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I really feel for you ur problems pale in comparison to mine but I know u have probably heard this many many times before but if you have had these scans and they've come up negative then your brain is ok so please try not to worry :) have u tried hypnotherapy? U can get them on CD its a bit weird at first and it may put u off but whenever I have used it it has chilled me out Im going to start doing it every night because I think it will really help me and I think it will really help you as well.. take care and try not to worry!

Well, that's just it. THey haven't done any scans. The doctor said he was THAT confident that I didn't have a brain tumor, that he wasn't even going to bother with them.