PDA

View Full Version : iv been given CITALOPRAM 10MG? is it safe?

worrier123
10-04-2011, 04:07 AM
I think also know as Celexa? my doctor has prescribed me one a day, my anxiety i thought had gone away but no it returned with a bang, i never wanted to be the person to be on medication i wanted to be strong enough to get through it on my own but this time i feel i need help. iv always been cautios of taking meds, are there any side affects with these tablets? how do these tablets actually work? im not depressed but my anxiety makes me feel depressed so have i been given thr right drug?

thanks for your advice

kelly

x

jessed03
10-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Hey worrier,

From experience, I can tell you Citalopram alone is one of the safest anti-depressants out there. On a research paper funded by the British Medical Journal, it was 2nd in the most tolerated anti-depressants, and fell slightly short of first place being beaten by Zoloft. Also, 10MG is a very safe dose, and is the recommended starting dose for those suffering anxiety.

I've known many people to take this drug, and for them to have their issues helped. When you're stressed, and upset, the natural level of Sertonin in your body will decrease. These drugs aim to alter the level, back to a normal amount. That being said, there's still effort required to fix thinking habits, and lifestyle choices (if you haven't already) as these both alter serotonin levels too.

As for being the person on meds. I wouldn't worry about that. In the UK, 1 in 16 adults fills out a prescription for anti-depressants. So on an average day, there are many others around you, who take these drugs, and get on with their lives so it would never be realised.

A word of advice though. I know it's 'bad practice', but don't read the leaflet they give you, especially the part about side effects. Not at least until a week or two into taking them. The mind can psycho-somatically bring some on. Citalopram usually makes you feel a little naseaus for a week or two, and actually has a very little side effect profile, compared to other AD's.

All the best :)

worrier123
10-04-2011, 05:27 AM
thank you so much for your advice, i have just this second taken one. and i wont read the leaflet cos i know what im like il start worrying lol

thanks again

kelly x

natalie23
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
hi i started on citalopram 10 mg and now im on 40 mg ive had no side effects x

jessed03
10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
hi i started on citalopram 10 mg and now im on 40 mg ive had no side effects x

How's 40mg working out for you nat? :)

natalie23
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
alot better definetly working im no where near as bad as i was before. x

worrier123
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
actually iv been feeling quite sick since iv started taking these, and iv lost my apetite?

jessed03
10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
actually iv been feeling quite sick since iv started taking these, and iv lost my apetite?

That's really normal kelly, apparently 1in3 experience start up nausea when taking an SSRI, it usually goes in about a week.

worrier123
10-07-2011, 04:30 AM
That's really normal kelly, apparently 1in3 experience start up nausea when taking an SSRI, it usually goes in about a week.

Oh ok, i didnt know that! the feeling sick is horrible, sort of like a hangover or travel sick where waves of sickness wash over you. it seems to be worse at night too is that normal?

Much love x