PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D!

Matt93
09-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Did you know Vitamin D is linked to ALOT of anxiety and depression cases and increasing your Vitamin D levels can prove helpful to curing your anxiety and or depression? Hope this helps someone
-Matt

mommywoman
05-26-2012, 11:51 PM
I have heard that as many as 80% of people are defficient in Vit D. You get it from the sun primarily so if you are not getting enough sun then you need to take supplements and maybe try a light box. I have been using a light box for a couple of years and taking a supplement. I heard a dr say that 2000 i.u. (more than instructions say) a day is what they say you need. They also said that 15 min a day is efficient.

fisher
05-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Nice to know,i suffered anxiety for yrs on and off but been great the last yr or so but now am pregnant 7 months i am starting to get anxiety again,mainly because i have a health phobia,i am low on iron and vit d, i know its not alot and i shouldnt moan but it worries me

FedUp
05-27-2012, 10:14 AM
This may sound odd, but sometimes when I have anxiety orange juice helps! I was low on potassium once and that can cause a lot of similar symptoms as anxiety.

larmer
05-28-2012, 08:50 AM
if you don't take the calcium with the vitamin D it will no absorb. don't just take vitamin D alone.

DrZafirides
07-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Vitamin D is a critical vitamin. Technically, it isn't a vitamin. It is more like a steroid hormone. Over the last 3-4 years, I have begun to routinely obtain Vitamin D levels in all my patients. The formal lab test is a 25-Hydroxyvitamin-D level. I would say 90-95% of my patients are deficient in Vitamin D.

It is absolutely stunning to me.

Vitamin D has been suggested to be linked to depression and anxiety. I tell my patients that Vitamin D is so important for overall health and well being that I really want to make sure they are not deficient.

Please take the time to research Vitamin D. I would highly recommend Dr. John Cannell's website, The Vitamin D Council. It is the best resource on Vitamin D that I am aware of. I had the honor and privilege of interviewing Dr. Cannell on my podcast a few month's back. He is an amazing individual.

If you want to listen to our interview, just google the term "The Healthy Mind Dr. Cannell". We spoke for 60 minutes on the importance of Vitamin D. My goal was to ask him the questions that an individual new to researching Vitamin D would want answered.

Vitamin D deficiency is an epidemic, in my opinion. Please take the time to research Vitamin D. Ask your doctor what they feel about getting a Vitamin D level for you. This is so important to your health.

Kindly,
Peter Zafirides, MD

Damavandi
08-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi Matt:

I think everybody should read my Thread " The Cure ?" at the depression Forum of this website.
Vitamin D3 cured me !!!!

Best wishes,
Ali

littlelightning
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice to know,i suffered anxiety for yrs on and off but been great the last yr or so but now am pregnant 7 months i am starting to get anxiety again,mainly because i have a health phobia,i am low on iron and vit d, i know its not alot and i shouldnt moan but it worries me

Fisher,
Remember it is absolutely normal to feel anxious when pregnant, especially at 7 months. I noticed when I was most anxious, I found relief in relaxing in a nice warm, sunny spot. Lolling back I can recall "craving" those moments. Be sure to talk about it with your care provider and talk to other expecting moms. You are not alone and you will find most women experience this even if they didn't talk about it.

Good luck to you and congratulations on the baby!

daisy84279
08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Dr. Z, how does one know how much to take? I was told by my last check up that my thyroid was a little large, and ny thyroid hormone, was high, but still in normal range. My doctor mentioned vitamin D, specifically D3. My anxiety has gotten worse over the years. Can a person overdose on Vitamin D?

sazco
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I noticed this when I started taking a daily multi-vitamin. I always feel better when I take it with my beta blocker. It is true though, Vitamin D is good for you.

Dorrie
11-01-2012, 02:46 AM
I had my vitamin D level tested a couple of months ago and it well below normal. I started taking D daily (2,000 iu). Six weeks later I noticed I was sleeping much better most nights. I wasn't waking up worrying as much. I've had problems with insomnia since childhood (GAD too). It was only after I stumbled across something about a link between D deficiency and insomnia that I began to wonder if the vitamin was improving my sleeping and helping with the anxiety. I couldn't point to anything else I was doing differently. If true, I really wish I'd tried it years ago. And I hope it's not a temporary effect. I still do worry and sleep poorly sometimes but noticeably less than before. Fingers crossed that it continues. I've been telling everyone I know with sleep issues to try it. My dr never ordered the test. The nurse practitioner did.

ilovejake
12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I've been taking a multi-vitamin for longer than I've had anxiety :( wish that was helping me so I didn't need to be on zoloft.