PDA

View Full Version : Depression.

rubyslippers
09-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Since I was 18 I've been on and off anti-depressants but never really took them properly. I self medicated with drink and partying and that made me feel better until the next day and the hangover kicked in! I haven't drank for a while and I've been taking my meds for a few months now. I'm too scared to drink on my meds and I don't really feel the need to. I would say that my depression isn't as bad as it used to be, but I think that might be because I have my anxiety to take my mind off it. I have my bad days and good days, but don't we all :D.

Tony Mathew
12-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Depression is a common reason for working with an acupuncturist, particularly for those where western medicines either have too many side effects, were not effective or were not desirable for any number of reasons. While we see benefit both in clinical studies and in practical day to day observation, the underlying mechanisms for how acupuncture helps with depression are not well understood.

Thanks and Regards.
Tony Mathew

alankay
12-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Ruby, keep taking the AD's as prescribed. They really take some time to get the max benefit, up to 3 months sometimes(but benefits do start sooner). They should help with the anxiety as well. Sometimes they need to tweak the dose up a bit for many folks so work with you doc on that. If you're on an SSRI you can drink a bit but it might make you sleepier quicker, but if you don't miss it, take a pass on it. Take care.

carpathia
12-25-2011, 07:07 PM
As a teen i drank and used drugs to make myself feel better. I stopped doing such things and some side effects of despression such as self harm entirely subsided. And over time, the depression itself. Now i am anxious of many things, but depression is something i was actually only making worse with drinking and just through that simple choice i effectively removed that part of me. We all have good and bad days. But now i have nearly no terrible ones! Glad you have stopped.

caera
12-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Main reason of depression is expectation. When you expect more than your capability, then it will show depression. The best way to decrease depression is just be yourself. Always think positive. Be positive is the best medicine of depression.

shanrocks8
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
hey. just think about life, and what it really is. how did us as humans get here? what are we?! why are you worried about these things, its life. what is life? if you stand back from the cloud your head is stuck inside, all this worriness and sadness, you can see whats in front of you, and see the world as a whole. listen to some music, bach, and listen to it, and just think. think only about what oyu love in your life. and if your in public and you start to feel sick cause of your nerves, just think about what you think when your talking a shower. haha like what do we think about in the shower? nothing! and if you need to get some encouragement through music,

MainerMikeBrown
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm too afraid to drink because alcohol is a depressant. And I don't want to have to deal with depression anymore than I already do.