PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

dle90
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site but I am not new to anxiety. I think I am about to go crazy! First off, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am a 21 year old male. I have always been a nervous person for as long as I can remember; however, the anxiety started getting bad about three years ago when I moved out of my parent's house and got married. Since then, my anxiety has gotten gradually worst. I also have OCD (self diagnosed). I went to my family doctor about a year ago when I started having anxiety attacks and was prescribed Paxil (10 mg) and Vistaril (50 mg). The medication did stop the anxiety attacks and have helped. Since I started taking the medicine, the anxiety improved but now it is back on a downward spiral. Recently, when I have been going to the doctor (for other things than anxiety) my blood pressure has been really high for my age. I am so worried about the high blood pressure. My theory is that the high blood pressure is caused from my anxiety because I am always nervous when I go to the doctor and now (because of the high blood pressure) I am always nervous when I get my blood pressure taken. I have taken my blood pressure at home; but, once again I am nervous when I test so I don't know if it is accurate. My day to day symptoms include: heart palpations, racing heart, chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, and indigestion. When I checked online, these are all symptoms of clogged arteries, but these are also pretty generalized symptoms and could be caused from anything - including anxiety. So I am trying to decide if I need to go back to the medical doctor about the high blood pressure or if I need to go to a physcologist and get some better anxiety medicine to handle the problem. I know that the high blood pressure is dangerous - even if it is caused from anxiety so I need to do something. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to make sure you knew the whole story.

biceps72
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
anxiety can definitely cause high blood pressure. Good news is that hypertension is fairly easily controlled. Get it controlled and then you can work on your anxiety!! btw i am a newbie here too!

leighs
09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi dle90 and welcome! You're right...those symptoms are pretty general and they are also all symptoms of anxiety. The first thing I would recommend is to stop looking at possible causes for your symptoms on the internet. Trust me...I'm guilty of doing that too and it only makes it worse. If you think it would make you feel better to take those symptoms to the Dr., then go ahead. It can't hurt anything. If they give you a clean bill off health then maybe talk to them or a psychologist about different medication. Or...you might want to try CBT...especially with the combo of OCD and anxiety. Good luck and let us know how it goes.