PDA

View Full Version : A good strategy I've found

Taylor
09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I've found a good strategy to help me with my GAD (I'm assuming that's what it is, I'm not diagnosed). It might not be new to many of you, but it might help some people.

We all want to fight the anxiety when it comes, because the feeling SUCKS, and there is a fear of losing control, both physically and mentally, or that if you don't fight it you are going to lose your mind forever.

But something I've come to realize a bit that last couple of days is to not fight the anxiety.

Take this example: let's say a big football linebacker or something is charging at you. If you stand your ground and try to resist, you're gonna get clobbered and knocked on your butt. You might stop that force, but it takes a lot out of you and it's a setback in a sense; you're not really in control.

But we've also all seen in one way or another when some big dude charges a karate master, instead of trying to block the bad guy, the karate master kind of goes with the flow and pulls the big guy toward him when he approaches, and then throws him behind him in a fluid motion. He remains in control.

I think this is a lot like anxiety. When you're in it, don't try to say NO NO NO ARGH STOP AHH LET ME OUT, or it'll build up and knock you down. It's better to say, "Yeah, I'm feeling anxious. So what?" Look around yourself, look at where you are at, and count any visual threats to your physical wellbeing in the area and show this to your anxiety. You won't find any threats around you! Even events in the future that you may have to deal with can't harm you now, this instant, and they probably can't even harm you in the future! Then do some more reasoning with CBT or any breathing exercising as you continue to think about this. I think you'll find the coil of anxiety slips off of you instead of tightens.

Anyway, just wanted to share!

inescapable
09-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Great advice! Thank you

annie
09-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes i agree too. I will give it a go. Thanks for that and best of luck to you.

leighs
09-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Kev, what do you mean by the adrenaline having an effect on your body?

leighs
09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
It does. Thanks for explaining as always. You have been a huge help to me since joining this site. :)

brady
09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
good advice man.