PDA

View Full Version : Really enjoying this outlet

leighs
09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi there. I'm newer to this site and I'm really enjoying it so far. I had my first episode with panic about 4 years ago while on vacation to see family. I had a full blown panic attack which ended with me being taken to the hospital in an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack. I had never had a panic attack before and I had no idea what was going on. After doing a CT scan, an EKG, blood work, chest x-rays, etc. the Dr. told me I had anxiety. I was stunned! Anxiety? Me? No way! I handle stress like a champ! And besides, I was on vacation. What was I stressed about? The next few days went by very slowly and I was so scared I could barely function. I was scared I was going to have another panic attack, I was scared I was going crazy and I was scared that this feeling was never going to go away.
After that episode I went a very long time without having any more issues. It wasn't until last November that my anxiety started to worsen and really became an everyday issue. I constantly worry about having a heart attack or some other illness that will cause instant death. I had 2 co-workers pass away in 2010 from heart attacks and my step dad has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. I think, as does my therapist, that these things just added to my level of anxiety and have caused it to peak.
I have had more EKG's, chest x-rays, an ANSAR test, MRI's and multiple blood tests done. Everything says I am in very good health. Even though I know I'm in good health, it is hard for me to completely believe that all the time. I started going to a therapist where I am learning CBT. It really has helped a lot and I can see the progress I've made even though I know I have a ways to go.
I look forward to the day where my anxiety levels are normal and I can go back to leading my normal lifestyle. I know that day will come with hard work. This website so far has really helped me be able to connect with others who are going through similar situations and I am so thankful that I've found it. :)