PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Anxiety...

leighs
09-05-2011, 10:05 PM
So...I've noticed that when I smoke a cigarette my anxiety (not a full blown panic attack) seems to increase. I've been smoking for about 9 years now so the horrible habit is nothing new. I am wondering if it is really connected or if it's just me searching for a reason I have GAD. I've looked around online a little and did notice there were some people who felt better with their anxiety levels after quitting. Anyone have any input for this?

kellyzac
09-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Hiya i used to smoke and quit about a year ago im alot more anxious now but i don't no if they are related as ive never really thought about it.

Skizo
09-06-2011, 08:16 AM
No and my psychiatrist actually told me that smoking calms you down so he reccommended for me to keep on smoking.

cali-iso
09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Haha my doctor actually told me the opposite- maybe it depends on the person? I know smoking calms some people, for me it makes me more jittery which makes my anxiety worse.

Robbed
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
This one can DEFINITELY go different ways for different people. So it's entirely possible that your smoking is increasing your anxiety levels, especially if you notice that your anxiety increases consistently after smoking. You could certainly try quitting to see whether this improves things. Although it may not actually make your anxiety go away completely, it might improve things (not to mention your physical health, where the effects of smoking are MUCH more clear-cut). Just keep in mind that, even if quitting improves your anxiety in the long run, quitting smoking is probably going to make your anxiety levels increase temporarily during the withdrawal period. However, this can be minimized if you taper rather than go cold turkey. Tapering is typically better if you smoke very heavily and/or have anxiety disorder.

Schatmeisje
09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
weird isnt it, i also smoke (probably even more since i have had GAD) and docs always told me that smoking increases anxiety, bit i do notice that when i do manage to get out to places that scare me, i can have a cigarette and it definitely helps calm me down to a point where can keep going out etc, and i guess it laso distracts me from panic attacks as i am doing something.

divasmurf
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I too have been smoking for many years and its the same for me, im scared to have a cigarette when i go out somewhere because it seems to make my anxiety worse. I'd rather have a nic fit than a panic attack,you would think this would be enough to make me quit but i have tried that and failed so now ive bought myself the patch and will try again. Not sure if this will make my overall anxiety issues better but at least stopping smoking will be a health benefit regardless.

JaneB
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I quit smoking a few months ago and I can tell you from my experience that smoking cigarettes definitely contributed to my anxiety. I mean think about it. It contains nicotine, a stimulant, it decreases lung capacity temporarily, and it takes oxygyen out of the blood.

What happens when you feel panicked? Over stimulation, shortness of breath.... coincidence? Yeah definitely. But smoking certainly doesn't help the problem. At least from what I've seen.

acasey
09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
smoking is a stimulant. stimulates cause anxiety. but for someone who has been smoking for many years, i think the stress of quitting would make anxiety much worse then if you continue to smoke. after so many years your body is use to the stimulation from smoking so its like you build a tolernace to the stimulation it causes

leighs
09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I have started the quitting process. I was afraid that if I quit cold turkey it would bring on more stress. I don't know exactly how much I smoke in a day, but I do know it was close to, if not, a pack a day. Today I have only had 5 cigarettes and I'm feeling pretty good about it. A couple of times when I smoked I did feel some anxiety, like I couldn't breathe right even though I know I was. It could just be me thinking too much about it too. Either way even if it doesn't decrease my anxiety I know that it's healthier for me. I'm going to give this a whirl :)

nervousbutterflies
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
QUIT SMOKING!!!!!!!! i was a pack a day smoker for 5 years and quit cold turkey last january. I have not had one cigarette or nicotine gum/patches. I was highly addicted. I could not go an hour without smoking or else i would get sooo anxious. My suggestion is try to get yourself scared of smoking. It works! if you have anxiety and make smoking one of your fears it is alot easier to quit. I actually feel a little bit calmer after quitting because now i dont have to worry excessively about "when is the next time i could smoke a ciggarette."!!! Also just think how the smoking is definately going to give you some form of illness/disease. I work as a CNA and there is this old lady at work who was just put on hospice because she is going to die soon. She is totally coherant and understands everything that is going on. She is terrified because she knows she only has a little bit of time to live. She was a smoker for a long time and now she cannot catch her breath at all and she feels like she is suffocating.

Can you imagine living like that?
Try to get yourself scared of smoking

leighs
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I think you just scared me lol

nervousbutterflies
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
good im glad i scared you :) just think of that when you want another cigarette :)

Jdogg
09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I smoked for nearly 4 years, and I can tell you that it does increase anxiety, and can possibly lead to a panic attack. Although smoking a cigarette may be a temporary relief, your anxiety will practically double each time you smoke. I quit smoking (for the most part) recently, and have noticed that my anxiety levels have dropped a good deal since then. I'd definitely recommend you quit, not only for your physical health, but your mental health as well.

Good luck.

fallingthin
09-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I think it is more knowing that smoking is bad for you that makes you anxious than the act of smoking. That is how it was for me and when I stopped that anxiety went away.

brady
09-13-2011, 06:14 AM
This is exactly the same thing that i had, i have been 6 days without smoknig now and feel much better.

brady
09-13-2011, 06:14 AM
* also i think smoking makes it worse in the mornings

rubyslippers
09-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Smoking calms me, when I'm having a panic attack the first thing I do is reach for the packet. Its controlled breathing and helps me regulate my breathing. I know its not good for you, I haven't been smoking long. But whilst my anxiety is this bad, getting it sorted is my main priority.

brady
09-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree completely jane :)