PDA

View Full Version : A Victory

landonmorley
08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Something happened today and I became really inspired and had to write about it:

Victory on the Battlefield

I’ve personified my anxiety. He is an extension of me and therefore looks like me. His details change though; sometimes he looks like a dark knight (Death Knight for those of you who play World of Warcraft) version of me, other times he looks like a shadow-blue, smoky me with red eyes. I’m sure there will be even more depictions in the future – maybe he’ll be a war general or something.

Why is this? To what purpose does it serve? Well the anxiety certainly seems purposeless in the first place to any onlooker. I would agree had I not been previously a victim of it. But it helps. It helps me to see my status in the “battlefield.” The two of us fight – sometimes with swords, sometimes with fists, but always to the same means. When the chemicals in my brain that trigger the anxiety and the panic go up, my anti-me is winning the fight. When they subside, I win. I find it easier to deal with one personified version of anxiety than a huge cloud of smoke in unfamiliar space I’m stuck in. It’s my mind; I get to choose home-field advantage.

He is my enemy; my greatest foe. His mission is solely to destroy my mind.
If he is an extension of me, then that implies I’m trying to destroy myself. I can guess a few reasons why; guilt, post-traumatic stress, shame, closing chapters of my life, and starting new ones. I’ve been dealt a large hand of those these days, so my enemy is well-armed.
Logic can sometimes be my friend on the battlefield. Sometimes just knowing that I don’t need to feel this way - that my enemy is unequipped with the proper weaponry - is enough to win the battle. Other times logic won’t be enough.

I talked to my grandma today, and that’s the whole reason I’m typing this. I spoke to my father last night and expressed my worry about this condition. He told me his mother has the same thing, and maybe it skipped a generation. He said I should talk to her and see what she had to say. So this afternoon I did just that. This may have been the best decision of my life.
She told me that she has experienced the same thing – the sudden oncoming of anxiety, the fear that triggers more fear, and the emotion that no one can fully describe but those with it can understand what we mean. We talked about the help she sought with medication and that it was very effective. But that wasn’t the most important part.
The most important part to me was the fact that she knew exactly what I meant. She completely understood the indescribable feeling, and I was not alone. We laughed over the commonality we shared. We laughed.

I laughed at my enemy. And if he had a tank on the battlefield, I have nuclear bomb.

jessed03
08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I think it's a great way of looking at things. Once you stop believing the poison it whispers in your ear, it's like it shrinks 5 feet there and then. I think all the things people do, meditation, writing, therapy; they're all to get to that personal stage where you finally 'see inside the matrix' and look at the chain that keeps occuring. To bring that dark giant figure into the light, so you can totally know your enemy, and predict it's moves. Once you can see that, the ball game changes and you can spot things that are feeding back into the hain,and spot the techniques it uses to try to get you to cower again, and you can try to weaken it at various stages, and at least that way when it hits, damage limitation is in place. For me, when I get any hypochondriac thought, or OCD tendancy, I always make sure I replay it, except in a slow, squeaky voice, almost like one you'd hear on a chipmunk CD. That way I'm suddenly far less scared of what I'm facing. It's great to know that voice, and those feelings aren't 'you' and that there is far more beyond it.

It's great that your grandma get's it so much, lot's of people feel totally misunderstood, but I'm sure having someone so close, who has had it, and carried on living a life is also somewhat inspirational too. I'm sure you've found out that the relationships you form whilst you're that low are just the most special, and unbreakable.Keep fighting that good fight!

JayUhdinger
08-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi there,
in some self help literature this wild guy you fight with is called "your inner critic" or "your dark self". You already touched on some important points in your post. You can not win because what you fight is part of you. Just be gentle with the other guy but stay in control. He is only as powerful as you make him.

If you learn a bit about cognitive behavioral therapy you will see that what you have personified are just a bunch of thinking patterns and with some training you can learn to just let them pass (mindfulness training) or find alternative thinking patterns you can use to replace the existing ones (cognitive restructuring).

Anyway that goes a bit far. Just keep in mind that there is something you might call your true self and this death knight guy (I have a gnome mage lol) are just thoughts and if you do not hold on to them (by thinking over the same things over and over) or by finding alternate ways of thinking that make sense you can slowly make this wild negative dude act like you want him too.

Be a bit compassionate with yourself and I'm sure slowly but steadily you teach this death knight some manners. :)

jessed03
08-27-2011, 03:03 PM
JayUhdinger.

You sound like a person who understands their cbt. :)

I'm wondering if you've come across any good books or articles about changing habits, I have basic knowledge, but have some deep habit's I'd like to slowly change. All the info online I find either tells you to do it by praying, or by 'manning up'. I'd like something that tackles it from a more cognitive and behavioral standpoint, and that is helpful for starting to readdress life long habit's instead of the 'quick fix' approach.

If you know of anything, please do let me know :)

jessed03
08-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Cheers forwells. Great site :)

JayUhdinger
08-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi there,
if you just want to get an overview of the whole topic of CBT I recommend the CBT for Dummies book. It's easy to read and introduces you to the main topics of CBT. CBT is basically just altering your mindset and how you relate to your inner workings. Its a perspective shift and puts you back into control. I highly recommend everyone to get involved with it. I practice and teach MBCBT, which is Mindfulness Based CBT and in my opinion the best there is at the moment.

If anyone has specific questions feel free to pm me.

landonmorley
08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Thank you guys =]
The best feeling in the world is knowing that you're not alone.

Schatmeisje
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Oooh, Mindfulness based CBT !!! i Like the sound of that :-)