PDA

View Full Version : Floating Anxiety

johnny
11-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there shares similar symptoms to me.
I experience all the symptoms of anxiety but it does not have any focus, i.e. there is no particular thing I have an irrational fear or dread of.

It seems as if my brain is stuck in fight or flight mode without there being any reason. It varies in severity from a mild irratation to occasionally being severe. Seroxat does minimise it.

On a day to day to basis it effects me in the following ways
- sometimes limits my concentration span.
- can make me take undue risks, as when I am at my worst I seem to need some sort of buzz.
- usual tension headaches, muscular pain etc.
- I don't really like new social gatherings (not extreme, maybe just a little bit of shyness).
- It is worse at weekends or holidays where I have no distraction.

As I said mainly it is just a background anxiety that is not too incapacitating but occasionally I find it difficult to function.

I don't know if it is connected (probably, I suppose), but I also have a stammer which was fairly severe in the past, but again seroxat helps.

I would love to hear your views,

Johnny

mercy
11-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Johnny,

This sounds like you suffering from a very small case of anxiety and a larger case of bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 2 years ago and that is exactly how I am. Check this site out

www.bipolar.com (http://www.bipolar.com)

and take the self test, if I am right, then you know what is wrong and you can educate yourself about it. Be very careful about taking SSRI's. They have have a reverse affect for people with bipolar disorder.

ls
11-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I agree also, you need to see the doctor, tell him the same thing you wrote. A mental health professional would be able to see the signs right away. I would also pay note, is this affecting your life on a daily basis? Are you able to function? Bring this up with a professional....so important.

Good Luuuuuck.

JanBee
11-19-2006, 05:20 AM
I can understand the anxiety without any particular worry being present. I am fine until I go to bed and then, when I turn out the light, it starts. I think of it like a radio being tuned to a station. My mind keeps scanning, looking for something that's "wrong" so it can worry. It's the most horrible experience and it certainly makes going to sleep difficult! Having the actual radio on seems to help but it seems that, when the mental rush of the day is over, my mind starts searching for something to fill the void - and it's usually negative stuff!

ls
11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
when I go to sleep and my mind is racing, I visualize a VCR...I take the tape out of all my thoughts and I think of a white screen. Any time a thought comes, erase it...and visualize the white screen with the thought and see the eraser erasing it. Breathing deeply and slowly is a key too. Also, sometimes I have to tell myself over and over, that bedtime is MY time and I need to allow myself the rest I deserve. Sometimes when you allow yourself peace...you will find it.

hope this helps.