PDA

View Full Version : Hello, looking for some help!

123mags456
08-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone. I've joined looking for some help and support.
I'll try and explain my issue below.

Firstly, sorry - this is going to be a long read but i want to cover everything.

During this year i was at university, i had been drinking fairly heavily as you do as a student - particularly in the last term, after exams etc. I had also taken a few drugs (MDMA and some weed) not a regular thing and only a few times, but worth a mention.

I began to feel ill what seemed randomly, usually on a big night, after heavy drinking or a big meal. I'd feel nauseus, heart would start racing, would feel like i had to run off the toilet etc.

When i got home i went to the doctors and was diagnosed with gastritis and possible anxiety, as i began feeling faint and numb occasionally, presumably when the gastritis symptoms showed themselves and i began to panic (i have a huge phobia of being sick)

Anyway, i was prescribed pills to reduce inflammation and stomach acid and continued to take these for about 3 weeks. I was still suffering from what i thought were gastritis symptoms, however upon returning to the doctors he explained it could be anxiety and panic attacks as i seemed to have the problems when out, in crowded and busy situations etc. I was told to stop taking the pills for my stomach acid and see how i got with some self help exercises etc, i was also prescribed some anti anxiety pills (flupentixol) but was reluctant to try them unless i couldn't overcome the problem myself

I did just this and i was fine for about 2 weeks, i managed to go out with a group of friends and get drunk (before so much as sipping a drink would make me gag, bring on nausea and make me panic) without any problems - i thought i was fine.

After a week or two of feeling well i started exercising and dieting, i had been meaning to start all summer but obviously hadn't been up too it. My diet was high protein, fairly high fat and low carb, i've done this fine before without any issues at all.

Within a week or two i began to get a bit nauseous, feel generally unwell and over the past few days i have started feeling very light headed. Today has been the worst day, i woke up feeling light headed and dizzy and it has been that way all day, i felt incredibly nauseous at breakfast and couldn't eat my food. I have since eaten a few times feeling moderately okay but i cannot shake the dizziness and light headedness.

I don't know where to turn now, i'm not sure if i have gastritis again, if i'm suffering from anxiety or where to turn. I went to the docs again recently and had no luck, didn't really do or recommend anything.

My biggest concern is that i'm going on holiday in september with friends, i want to make sure i'm well for then.

I've not tried taking my anxiety meds as i know they can have side affects and might only mask the problems rather than cure it. This is especially true if i'm to go on holiday, i don't want to take them leading up to it, then stop when i go away. Does anyone know the risks of taking flupentixol with alcohol? They're a very low dose (0.5mg) if i remember rightly.

Really don't know what to do!

Thanks to those of you who've taken the time to read and post a reply. I appreciate it!

ReneeA
08-21-2011, 05:03 PM
It sounds like your anxiety is triggered a lot by the symptoms of the gastritis. Are you taking the meds for the gastritis? Maybe the medication along with the diet & exercise will help you manage that better, which in turn might make it a little easier to manage the anxiety too. I know what's it like to have important plans & worry that your health issues are going to get in the way. That's enough to stress someone out. Good luck!

Amy1986
08-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Your right in medication masking rather then curing but i'm not even sure if there is a full cure tbh. i have been a long tie sufferer but it doesnt hinder on my life as it used to. the thing you have to tackle is your phobia, or tather the route of the problem. my biggest fear was death, public embaressment and pubic transport. CBT is the proven therapy to work, just helps you to understand how your feeling and gives you ways to overcome your fears. alcohol will never help though, only hinder. Like ReneeA says, a good diet and excercise are very big factors to well-being.

Take Care

123mags456
08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Even the support helps!

I think what makes me more confused than anything is that this came from literally nowhere! I've always been highly sociable, have a lot of friends, regularly attend nights out / crowded situations. Especially at uni, i was the one usually rounding people up night after night to go out.