PDA

View Full Version : How Binding Are Therapy Contracts?

sixtimes
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
How binding are therapy contracts? When I started therapy with my new therapist, he had me sign this contract during the first session. It had basic stuff on it, like "I will try my best to work on my problems" and "I will be open and honest with my therapist." It also had two points on it: "I will give more than 24 hour-notice or be liable for the session" and "I must tell my therapist 5-6 sessions before I plan to end therapy." I felt like I had no choice but to sign it because it was the first 10 minutes of my first session and I heard he is very good and can help me. He also signed the contract.

My problem now is that I don't feel like my therapist is making an effort to help me in as quick of a manner as I wish. We have been doing the same thing for 3 sessions already. I am also a little strapped for cash and can't spend money on therapy that is not working. My question is if whether I am legally bound by this contract? Do I really have to attend 5-6 more sessions (at $120 a session) of therapy that is not working? Anybody had any similar experience with therapy contracts?