PDA

View Full Version : I need help identifying my problem and solutions

swifty13
08-02-2011, 03:45 AM
I just joined this forum, so this is my first post. I have problems and I dont know what to do to help myself. I have a terrible fear of death - the thought makes me shudder. I mean, when we're dead, we're dead! We're like, gone. It's so scary. This causes me to fear a lot of things, basically anything that could possibly lead to death. Rain could cause a flood, i could get trapped in an elevator, just simple everyday things that could possibly go wrong and lead to death, i get scared of. And anything that goes wrong with my body too, such as chest pains which lead me to fear a heart attack. Im terrified of going to the doctors or the hospital because I fear that they will tell me something terrible is wrong with me, which is why whenever I have my blood pressue tested, it is always very high because im terrified. I also have low self esteem issues but i dunno if that is relevent.
Could somebody please help me identify what is wrong with me and how to help myself. I havnt told anybody yet, although my parents do know that i dont like hospitals. I dont really want to tell anybody tbh. All answers are much appreciated thanks :D

dcfefs
08-02-2011, 04:20 AM
i am not a doctor or therapist, but all these things u experienced are not unheard of or not common. these are symptoms of anxeity disorder, in your case, perhaps Generalised Anxiety Disorder

richy1991
08-02-2011, 05:40 AM
hey, i know what your going through
im/was very similar to you, when i was young i use to cry myself to sleep cus i feared death that much, and i brought along one of my first anxiety problems
if im correct its not that you are scared of dying physically but more of scared about whats after death
me for example i use to think well when im dead, im dead, thats it, one day i wont be here, game over type of thing, but i wasnt scared of how i was going to die
i use to fear my parents dying, it use to freak me out that one day i will never see them again
whenever i would think of any of this stuff, i would snap out and shiver and fell as tho i just wanted to run

i will tell you know i am 95% better, i have the odd occasion now and then when it happens but 5/10 mins after i 4get about it
i dont know how old you are but what really helped me was saying its ages away, i have soo much to look forward to like driving, getting marrid, having kids and so on

so yeah i pretty much just grew out of it
so dont worry it will pass :)

Marzy
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
This is EXACTLY what I've been going through :| And it really is terrifying because usually things that scare us or make us anxious can be avoided, but death really can't be.
I don't know how old you are, but I'm very sure that if you're healthy and look after yourself you will not die from any of the things you're fearing. I was exactly the same but instead of thinking about all the possible things that could kill me - i learned to think about the chances of it happening, which were always extremely low. I also get very bad chest pains, and i would cry because i thought i was having a heart attack but it really is just the anxiety & ive even met other people who are just like this. I've had this fear since I was little, but forgot about it until my anxiety started which proves that it's the anxiety giving you these thoughts & when you're anxious, you're less likely to think clearly. Maybe see a therapist? It really helps to get rid of the underlying anxiety, then all phobias like this will go away on their own. And i really do think you should talk to someone, I did when I was extremely scared and it made me feel a lot better just speaking to someone else about it. I promise you it will get better though :) I was so scared I could hardly move, the fear of death and non-existence scared me so much :/ (this was a few weeks ago) but now it doesn't really come accross my mind :) Try to keep yourself busy, and surrounded by friends/family & within the space of a week you will notice you're starting to forget about this fear. Just try to keep happy (: I thought to myself - I fear death, but as I only have one life, i don't want to spend all of it fearing the end, I should make it happy. Remember though, once you get rid of the anxiety, the fear will go away because your thoughts/fears feed off the anxiety/stress that is already there :)

swifty13
08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate it :) im a 15 year old girl, just to let you know. could i get any tips on how to talk to people about it? cause im reallly scared but i wonder if theres an easy way to do it....? thanks :D

Marzy
08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm a 16 year old girl :) and i just started by telling a couple of my friends how i felt and they did their best to help me out if i started to get really scared/anxious all of a sudden but i also told my parents. Just telling anyone about it made me feel soo much better, it surprised me how much better i felt :) and if you don't want to say it to someones face then maybe over text/msn or something? In person though, it really does make a difference. And youre not the only one who feels like this :) you might find out someone else does too

Ambur
08-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Just reading this is getting me worked up and nervous.

I have the same problem, not so much that I won't go to the doctor- I still don't, but if I did - I would probably be one of those patients that has a list of every illness possible, every symptom written down, etc. And I would anticipate finding out what's wrong with me, but I would OBSESS about it for the rest of my life, constantly living in fear that something terrible could go wrong.

I remember the first day I actually thought about dying and how scared that I was. I was either 7 or 8 and I was in the bathtub at my grandmother's house. All of a sudden, I choked on water and I thought, "Wow, what if I had died just now?" and I got to thinking about how death is so scary and how I don't understand it and about how I don't know what's going to happen, even though I was raised to believe there's a heaven. So, I started screaming and crying and just freaking out.

The second time I really had an anxiety attack about death was in 7th grade. (I try my absolute HARDEST not to think about death because I really, really freak out.) I was sleeping over at my friends house and I was started blabbing about how weird it would be to know someone that died and how freaked out I would be, because once someone dies, they're gone forever. You never see them again, hear their voices, etc. And it just caused me to break down in tears and I was upset for days about it.

I also fear my best friend's death. I fear that more than my own, I think. If she doesn't call me or text me or just let me know that she's alive and well at least once an hour, I have to find out if she's alright. And there have been countless times where I was literally CONVINCED that she had died and just no one had told me. And I'm not being 'clingy', either. I'm just sincerely scared about it.

Another thing is, I am terrified of the end of the world, or catalytic events. Those also cause me to break down into tears and shake until everything hurts.
It's unbearable.

But, hey! I hope things are looking up for you and I hope that you get to feeling better about the world and things soon, you've got to keep a positive attitude, even though it's worrisome.