PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here and hoping to hear others experiences?

Paul671
07-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi

I know the title was a little broad but didn't know what to call it. I've been struggling with anxiety since I was a child (im now 21) however Its seems to have only gotten much worse in the last few years whilst at University. Anxiety really affected me whilst studying, sometimes I felt I couldn't even face going into the studio and talking to people. It got to the point where I went to my doctor for help he put me on citalopram however I don't feel it really does anything to help. I also started seeing a councillor through university and we did some emdr therapy which I thought was going well. However it seems my anxiety is only getting worse I've just finished university now, ( I got quite a low mark but I think my struggles with anxiety held me back). I feel pretty bad/ ashamed about it.

Im now trying to get some similar help back home and am waiting to hear back from the mental health people. But im sure my anxiety is getting worse I was meant to be at my graduation last week but I missed it because I had built up an image that something bad would happen or that id get laughed at whilst receiving my diploma on stage for some reason. Missing my graduation has made me feel so awful as I just couldnt bring myself to go. It really was the worse feeling ever and now im feeling worse about the seriousness of my anxiety then ever.

All in all I've joined this forum to hopefully see or hear from anyone who has had quite severe problems with anxiety and has been able to overcome it? and how did you do it? how long did it take you etc? do you still have bad days? Im worried about it getting worse, I don't know how ill ever be able to get over it. feeling very low about it all really.

if anyone has any hopeful experiences they would be good

thanks Paul

ps sorry if this doesn't read very well

sychittenden
07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Hello there,

My name is Simon Chittenden and I believe that I may be able to help you. I do not know the finer details of your personal circumstances and I do not claim to be the authority on all things anxiety related. What I do know from personal experience is that everybody who struggles to live with anxiety can often feel quite isolated and alone. You might even feel that you have nobody to turn to, or that the people around you don’t quite understand how you feel. This in itself can become very frightening and if it wasn’t for the support of the people around me, I do not know how I would cope with my own anxiety as well as I do.

You must remember at all times that you are not alone in all of this. A large number of people all over the world are living with the same things that you are and you must have faith that your circumstances will improve. Can I promise that it will go away completely? Unfortunately not, my journey has so far lasted 3 years and I’m still no closer to discovering the solution to the problem despite numerous attempts.

What I can offer you is a chance to find out for yourself that you are not alone in your struggle. Please visit my blog at simonanxietyandme.blogspot.com to find out how I live my life alongside my anxiety.

Hopefully it will be of some help to you.

Please feel free to contact me via the blog with any questions you may have and I will do my best to help in any way that I can. I know it’s tough, but you can learn to cope with anxiety like I have.

Simon Chittenden x

Steve316_ca
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Simon, just read your posts and I really enjoy them! Please keep them up!

Steve316_ca
07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey Paul! Welcome. Well, I am nowhere near overcoming anxiety, but I can truly say that I have learned so much about it and at times Im happy I have it. I think it makes us compassionate and caring people, and that goes along way in today's world. I'm 27, and first got my first anxiety attack when I was 21, just starting out in University and I can remember thinking that there is NO WAY I can do this. WHen I get anxious, everything seems some dark and dreadful, like I am in a never ending tunnel of impending doom. I hate it, but you have to get through it, and you always do. You just gotta get your mind away from what it does best, and for me, that's worrying, dwelling, what-iffing, etc. To do this I'll run wherever and whenever, as long as it will shut my mind down. If your in school, I find that music really helps. Eminem's "Till I Collapse" is one of my fav songs that Ill listen to to pump me up and force myself to just keep plugging away. As for me, I got through college, then university, then I have recently just finished my MBA! ANd you're only 21 man, you have you're whole life ahead of you! Hope this helps, message me if you ever need advice!